LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Stereo drivers

mobilenvidia

NVIDIA GeForce 3D drv_3ds.gif Stereo Drivers

UPDATES

2008-04-06: new post layout; added download links for v82.12, v91.28, v174.75, v174.76 and the link to official NVIDIA PDF for a list of currently supported games; also added link to NVIDIA Stereo Driver Archive page

GENERAL INFORMATION

NVIDIA's official page for their GeForce 3D Stereo technology can be found hidden over HERE.

The best resource for in-depths information about NVIDIA stereoscopic drivers is located over at Stereo3D.com. They also have a forum, so if you are interested in the latest and greatest of this technology have a read over there.

Basically stereo drivers are intended to enable the NVIDIA stereo Control Panel for the support of 3D Glasses. Two files are required to use your 3D glasses with any GeForce card. The first is the ForceWare video card driver, and the other is the NVIDIA Stereo drivers.

After installing the video card drivers to update your video card, you will need to install these new Stereo 3D drivers by downloading, unpacking and installing them. You will need to restart your computer one more time. After the 2 files have been installed, go to the display properties, then click Settings, and advanced. Click on the GeForce tab and you will see a menu pop out from the left side. Click on the one that says stereo properties and hit enabled.

DOCUMENTS

DOWNLOAD LINKS

For NVIDIA's own Stereo Driver archive page go over HERE.

Here's the list of Stereo Drivers we host:

NVIDIA's latest recommended combination is Forceware v174.74 with Stereo Driver v174.76

Edited by ®®®

Good point, I don't know, XP should be supported, not sure on Vista though

• 2 months later...
Guest IzzySparks

Thanks for the link! :)

Couldn't get a hold of 158.22 stereo driver.

162.50 combo has issues with antialiasing which has been driving me nuts trying to get 3D working as good as the old 93.71 drivers on my old pc. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stereo drivers are so you can run games, watch movies, and look at pictures in 3D. You need to have special equipment though to use it. You also need a fast PC if you want to game in 3D as it needs to render about twice as much stuff.

• 4 months later...

updated first post

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am looking desperately for a Stereoscopic driver to use a Zalman LCD ZM-M220W 22-INCH 3D monitor.

I am running windows xp home edition SP2 and Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256mb on aN Apple MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Anyone out there that can make my machine run this 3D monitor?

All the best ewa

You mean this one ?

do you need a special monitor to get this 3D effect?

or dou you just need the 3D glasses?

You mean this one ?

Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!

I will try it as soon as I get vista.

do you need a special monitor to get this 3D effect?

or dou you just need the 3D glasses?

I am planning to use the Zalman monitor as a secondary monitor on my macbook pro, hope it works, let's see. The Zalman monitor comes with passive glasses.

Would you recommend other ways of doing it?

all the best, ewa

..to use a Zalman LCD ZM-M220W 22-INCH 3D monitor.

I just thought there was something special about this monitor but it's just the glasses that go with it then?

So if i can find similar 3D glasses, i could do just the same with my regular acer-screen?

In theory, yes, but as I recall you get best results with a standard CRT monitor because of the relatively high frame rates required. For the stereo effect to function properly you effectively need a display with twice the normal frame rate (interleaved images by time for left, then right). Most LCD monitors won't run at a rate high enough to really achieve decent 3D effects and they will probably seem to flicker badly.

Let us know what kind of results you achieve.

@ewa: Welcome to the forum!

So on a CRT to get a 60hz stereo picture you need to have a 120Hz refresh rate.

60hz still flickers, so higher will be better.

LCD's alas are 60hz refresh so the best you get will be 30hz which will mean flicker city.

no bother trying then..

I just thought there was something special about this monitor but it's just the glasses that go with it then?

So if i can find similar 3D glasses, i could do just the same with my regular acer-screen?

From what I know so far the Zalman monitor provides two different circular polarizations. one to each eye. meaning there is a circular polarization to one side to one eye and another to the other. The glasses that work with that monitor are passive = simple filters; and not active = LCD shutters embedded in the glasses running in sync with the refresh of the screen.

(BTW: yes, all LCD monitors are polarized. Getting them to have two different polarization, one to each eye, is of course something else.

What I have seen is also a setup using two LCD monitors mounted in 90o. with a mirror/beamsplitter in 45o. between them. Then using passive glasses = normal polarizing filter rotated to match the reflected polarization that the beamsplitter is reflecting, you can see each monitor's image with one of your eyes. If you are in the DIY thing, you could build it... check www.true3di.com)

I am also going to try to figure if the use of glasses with a CRT monitor work, and how they would work. This solution seems to be way cheaper that the zalman monitor.

in case someone in curious let me post some links that I have right now:

zalman monitor: (goto products>monitors)

http://www.zalman.com/eng/main.asp

as for the glasses I have seem so far:

www.ED-Glasses.eDimensional.com

I feel that we are very close to having access to affordable 3D, but as you all know the :) is in the details...

all the best to everyone, ewa

All you ever wanted to know about stereo drivers is summarized here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=14504

You will find links to the official specs & website and deeper information when you follow the links provided there.

Good luck.

Btw i saw an ad about those Zalman screens in a magazine. Would be interesting to hear from you if they are suitable for StereoGaming :)

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install the Zalman monitor on an Apple 15in MacBook Pro (configuration above) running windows xp (see details above) in VM Fusion software. So I guess I am trying to push all this a bit too far for the time being.

When truing to install the Forceware, either to one provided by Zalman or the one I downloaded from the link immediately above, I always get an error message interruption the process. So I guess I will have to bite the bullet and buy a PC...

As for the gaming itself in the Zalman monitor , I am not a gamer myself (so far ;-) ), I actually bought the monitor to see stereoscopic 3D content. I ll try some game as I want to have that experience too, so I ll keep you posted. Thanks for everybody's help and interest so far!

best, ewa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eric W. Araujo

Hello everyone, so finally everything is working.

As for the hardware:

Monitor:

ZALMAN LCD ZM-M220W 22-INCH WIDE SUPPORT 3D 1680X1050 1000:1 5MS

Motherboard:

Asus P5N-E SLI C2D 775

Hard Drive:

Seagate 500Gb - SATA 7200rpm 16mb buffer

CPU:

Intel Core2Duo E8400 Bx 3.0 Ghz@1333FSB 6Mb Cache

RAM:

DDR2 4Gb PC6400 Dual A-D (2x2Gb) (Speed 800MHz)

Graphics Card:

BFG (Nvidia) GeForce 8800GT (PCI-E 2,0, 512Mb DDR3, 2 Dual link DVI-I, HDTV)

Drivers:

and 174.76 update

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 - bit English 1pk DSP

DVD RW:

Pioneer 18x18 SATA 8x Double Layer

Additional Card:

DPS Firewire Card 3 Port Firewire PCI

SO, the following comments are based upon Tomb Raider Anniversary.

A couple of things I learned down the way:

Use the stereoscopic player Zalman Edition that comes in the CD with the monitor the view 3D videos and pictures. It is version 1.3.2 and is slightly behind version 1.3.4 by 3dtv.at, but apparently a new Zalman Edition will be released shortly.

Make sure in the Nvidia "3D stereo Control Panel" the option "3D stereo Enable when gane starts" is checked, because default is OFF!

Make sure you set the stereo "Depth Amount" Slider to your taste. Default is 15% which is good. I think about 40% is super cool , but you should expect some miniaturization effect (things look small) and specially your eyes might have some difficulty in composing the different depth of images. I am going 30% for now. But this is a very easy to use slider , so you should really try out different set ups to your own taste.

There is a sweet spot where the eye separation provided by the circular polarization is at its best. The sweet spot is at 3feet and 2inches distance between your eyes and the monitor, which is quite far. At this distance the eye separation is VERY GOOD :-) , but if you come close to the monitor , what you would easily do if you don t have a deep table like me and i suppose most people, than you will have ghosting that is less than ideal.

So, I do think that the monitors are very good investment, viewing stereo is a completely different experience. Again, I bought it for professional reasons.

From my research, Zalman monitors are the best way do view stereo, it has the best price tag among 3D monitors, the other option would be iz3d.com 's monitor is not compatible to the stereosopic player (see FAQ) which is the most complete player so far as it looks it will be the best tool to view 3D content for some time. They seem to be quite on top of their game. Congrats to Peter Wimmer!

An alternative could be the unexpensive "eDimensional 3DWIREDCRT E-D Wired Glasses" that uses CRT monitors.

Now, I am just guessing here. So this is just an opinion! IMHO you should watch out for refresh rates that need to be high because the if it is low you will experience flicker. What makes those glasses great is also what could make them bad. They are active stereo glasses, meaning they shutter LCDs in each of the eyes lenses in sync with the CRT refresh rate. This sound great in terms of eye separation to create the stereo effect, but the refresh rate has to be high for you not to be able to see the flicker in the glasses. I just havent tried them, I would like to though , but I would need to know the refresh rate of the monitor and card to be sure it look good too on another machine.

If you are really concerned about gaming only, make sure the games you like are mentioned in the Zalman website (FAQ in the specific monitor page) and / or in the Nvidia website. Nvidia is releasing drivers in a quite fast fashion, today another driver was released, I will still test it.

All in all, a big shout out to Richard Chung that helped me set up the monitor.

Best to all, EWA

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the informative feedback. I merged the posts into this FAQ'd Stereo Driver thread for everybodies convenience (hopefully :) )

• 1 month later...
Guest Asther

hello,

i tested the latest nvidis stereo drivers and i couldnt nable it to work with the e-dimension stereo 3d glasses, these latest drivers are only for zalmans monitors and red-blue glasses, there no option to choose to polarized glasses....

thans,

PS - nice 3d stereo post!

• 1 year later...

I have an asus G50vt-EP014C notebook with an NVIDIA 9800m GS graphics card and Vista 64 bit installed. I successfully installed Nvidia 174.74 drivers, then I installed Nvidia 174.76 stereo drivers. During file copy, it reaches the poi in which nvstercp.exe has to be installed, then skips to the end of the installation process and reports successful installation. Instead, the shortcut to the stereo control panel doesn't work and the nvstercp.exe is not present in the system32 folder, where it should be. Moreover, if I try to manually copy the file from the stereo drivers folder, windows asks me to overwrite the file, that can't be seen in that folder.

What's happening?

EDIT

I realized that nvstercp.exe was in the systemWOW64 folder, it was my fault, since there is something I ignore about Vista 64 system folders.

Now the problem is: how do I enable stereo modes different from anaglyph?

Edited by ragdoll

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone knows if the '3D Vision' works with a dual 8700GT board in SLI configuration? (3D Mark 06' - 9300)

By the way, the base 8800xx boards, is only a software limitation or really a minimun tech specification?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here and I'm very interested in 3D Vision, but I can't download the last stereo driver, it says "Unrecognised referer".

Has anybody got a valid link for this driver ?

I've got eDimensional glasses that do not work with the last official 3D Vision Drivers but that should work with the one provided on this thread :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Tech Amalgamator

Hi i just bought a Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS just for 3D...

But looking around the net its starting to look like even this card is to new to get stereoscopic gaming on XP

Is they ANY hope 3D on XP? Please help us all...

• 5 months later...

One good thing about these drivers is that they don't require compatibility. I have experienced problems with installing other software before as it crashes my system.