LaptopVideo2Go Forums

100.30 removed from view for legal reasons

mobilenvidia

We've had a letter from Microsoft asking to remove the links from our website.

I have done this, to keep relations with Microsoft intact, not that there ever has been a relationship.

But I don't want to rock the boat.

Here is what we received:

To whom it may concern,

It?s been called to our attention that your site has posted proprietary property from Microsoft and NVIDIA for public use and we would appreciate it if you removed it immediately.

The property in question is the ForceWare Vista 100.30 (GeForce 8800) x64 and ForceWare Vista 100.30 (GeForce 8800) x86 drivers.

Please remove the links to these drivers or we will be forced to elevate this situation to Microsoft?s legal department.

Thank you,

George Menzel, Lead Program Manager, Microsoft Corporation

Derek Perez, Director of Public Relations, NVIDIA

The drivers will obviously be available in many other places other than here.

Not sure why MS has taken this stance nearly a week after they were released by us.

The Horse has bolted has had babies who now have also bolted.

Never mind, we meant no harm in releasing these, and I tink the release has done much good especially for the 8800 owners.

Hopefully MS will reverse it's stance, but in the mean time the 2 x 100.30 threads have been removed :)

What it should have said:

"To whom it may concern,

It?s been called to our attention that your site has posted proprietary property from Microsoft and NVIDIA for public use and we would appreciate it if you removed it immediately.

The property in question is the ForceWare Vista 100.30 (GeForce 8800) x64 and ForceWare Vista 100.30 (GeForce 8800) x86 drivers.

Please KEEP the links to these drivers up because they work properly and help games and Aero run perfectly.

Thank you for making these available to everyone as with releasing Vista we were busy".

Its all good, MS and Nvidia will release official drivers soon, its no reason to fret.

Maybe that is what they meant to say :)

It's always a sad day when this happens. So many good enthusiast sites have been squashed by just this sort of thing. I just don't get what it is that they (MS) want people to do...

I built a brand new desktop today. Installed a brand new 8800 video card, and then installed Vista Ultimate 64bit. (legally, from MSDN subscription; this will be a Vista test box for 64bit development).

So, I went to nVidia.com, and was surprised to find no 8800 driver for Vista 64bit. Of course, I eventually found 100.30 on another website. I don't know why they are picking on you for posting drivers that can only help Vista and nVidia early adopters.

Anyway, I'll keep coming here for my laptop drivers because this is a great site.

Cheers for the support dude :)

We'll be around to serve your needs for a long time yet.

Som what are they pissed about? Is it drivers in general or did we release it before they could or something?

I suggest lpv2g countersues MS and nVidia for how many times their customers have had to use LPV2G's inf's and have been directed to LPV2G by in some instances THEIR OWN SUPPORT!

I myself was directed here by MICROSOFT and NVIDIA respective support personell for drivers for my alienware m5550 laptop - FOR WINDOWS XP even.

Lol, and people wonder why i micro-bash so much. They suck, end of story. I guess they just don't like the fact that they weren't the ones to release it. Lol.....jealous companies that got money but still got crappy service...(sighs) it saddens me. anyways on a more lighter note. Those drivers caused a serious problem on my laptop when i installed em. They ran really good at first, but then after shutdown that night then in the morning i went to get my early morning gaming time in, some error crap came up saying that nv(whatever the rest of it is) has caused an unknown error and had to close. From then, aero was gone, and hostprocesses were gone, no internet, the whole shebangabang went down. Pc refused to shutdown, had to force it, all that other crap. then tried to start up and kept giving me the "check disk is inspecting your drives....blah blah". so i basically had to reinstall vista from fresh. Other than all that chaos, those drivers actually kicked arse in gaming.

So boohooo micro, for crushing my fun :) :)

So you start of by saying microsoft suck cause they want to kill your fun, and then you state you had problems with the leaked drivers. right?

The official release is at our doorsteps, and as the only dx10 card on the marked, i'm sure microsoft and nvidia want the whql drivers to be the only one to find for the people that are installing vista when it launches.

Those that has been waiting on any working g80 drivers have gottem them, the also know where to still find them if they need em.

Try to think about those that are installing vista when it goes live, both ms and nvidia don't want this driverbuild to be the one that those people are installing.

As long as the newest drivers are released at the same time as vista, i'm fine with ms wanting to hold back the spread of those leaked drivers.

Yeah, "Think about those that are installing vista when it goes live" <<<meaning those that got the card. I am one of those that actually owns the card, i don't want to "NOT" be able to use something that was suppose to be made available to me. And yes, they killed my fun, cause now i can't look at my games same anymore :) And now i have to go back to constant stut....stut....stut....ering while playing on vista. And by the way. Vista is suppose to launch in a couple of days right?.....and these are probably the drivers that are going to be provided to us with the 8800 card?!....and they are causing issues. What does that say about being so fast to pull the drivers down :P

To me, the drivers are better being uploaded now so that we can actually test them out and give our feedback like we already do in the forums. What MS & or Nvid' should do or should have done, was/is to read the dang forums to see what issues we are reporting. Not saying they don't have their own testers, but not everyone will have the same issues, and not everyone has the same computer. So it probably wouldn't have been such a bad idea to let the admins/uploaders keep the files up for us to use.

By the way, to the admins, if this was too long a post, i apologize :) :P

Hilarious, talk about a delayed response from M$, they sure need to invest in a few new scouts.

Why bother going to all this trouble to remove a graphics driver simply because it is 'proprietary property', unless the driver itself is so buggy it has the potential to blow a computer up.

Once something is on the net, it spreads like wildfire, and to be honest they need all the BETA testers they can get in this situation.

I don't see why they would take such a stance other than to simply stir the forum public.

Not impressed :)

I can think of another good reason they wouldn't want this driver leaked.... it's not a complete driver by any means. For instance it does not support ANY agp or pci based cards, only pci-x, and yet the modified INF on this site had enabled it for pleanty of non-pci-x cards.

I doubt that the microsoft representative who sent the form letter had ever investigated it to that point, but still... you can see how this would be a problem. Also, nVidia may have signed a non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft (or vice versa) to not release this untill a certain date, or upon mutual agreement, and so this could be part of thier damage control in an effort to keep one or the other from accusing them of breach of contract. It's really impossable to know the real reason behind this.

But as it's been said, keep your freakin shirts on.

dressed_animals14.jpg

Wow, that sucks. I don't really have any problem with Microsoft but isn't the point of drivers to distribute to its users free of charge?

Anyways, for some feedback: Performance (framerates) seems to have increased somewhat as others have indicated. However, a few (minor) problems arose. In some 3D shooters, small notification windows pop up while loading maps of missing entry points in dynamic libraries (CS:S) and insufficient permission to a file/directory (F.E.A.R.). I didn't think it was the driver's fault but these problems only appeared after the installation of the 100.30 driver.

how come other websites are still posting them for download...did MS just happen to take the time to sit around and send emails to hundreds of websites telling them not to post their drivers???

Nope we are the only ones I would think, the joy of being the first to release this driver.

Unless I hear from George again by the 31st January Vista's release date here in NZ the files will be available again.