• 253 posts

• Brand:Gateway
  • Model:P-7811 FX (p2887)
  • Resolution:1920x1200 (WUXGA)
  • Video Card:NVIDIA Card N/A
  • Operating System:Win7 Ultimate x64

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hey,
Figured this needs to make its return since many of us are stubborn and have yet to return our wonderful Vista Gaming machines. I'm gonna do a write-up on how to setup a dual-boot system for those of use who insist on gaming on these wonderful bug free systems (sarcasm). Just let me do it in word and then edit in here so I don't loose anything and I can spell check it (look for it later today, got nothing better to do at work). Look for updates, give input and suggestions, bump it or make it sticky until Toshiba/Microsoft/Nvidia get off their lazy bums and fix it for us (more sarcasm, I'm such a nice guy too).

First off a disclaimer, my instructions worked on my Notebooks, doesn’t mean it will work for you. Use at own risk, if you screw something up…its your fault, not mine :)

Please read through all of this before attempting any of this and take notes!!!

Now lets get into things, Toshiba in their infinite wisdom decided to release a slightly more affordable gaming Notebook as a reasonable price point. The Toshiba Satellite P105-S9722 came with Windows XP Professional preinstalled and played most modern games with pretty good performance. It came with a Vista Express Upgrade offer that could be redeemed via the Toshiba website which were recently send out to people and I have gotten my copy, Windows Vista Business. The trouble didn’t start until after Vista was released, Microsoft’s new flagship Windows Operating System. The P105-S9722 was discontinued and Toshiba launched 2 new Satellite P105 models, the P105-S9337 with Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate edition (all the bells and whistles). Many people who heard if how well the S9722 preformed made a leap of faith buying these new models, or had no choice after returning their prior models due to bugs and this is where the trouble started.

First thing you will notice with the 2 new models is that they have trouble with video playback: it stutters and skips. This was the first sign that something was wrong. Next DVD playback, same problem and third, most importantly, games also carry this stutter. Thus far there has been no conclusive cause for these problems; Toshiba, Nvidia and Microsoft all blame each other for the problem and there are theories about power hungry Vista to not enough FSB on Notebooks. The point being nobody knows the underlying cause of this yet and the best part if you call tech support they blame the user, note how after you determine that they can’t fix it over the phone how they don’t immediately switch you to their servicing center to send it in. They will refer you to bring it into a local licensed shop, but any other problems you call about they generally give you the choice to drop ship it or a servicing provider. Also Toshiba will tell you a flat out lie that no other reports of this problem has been reported and that this is unique to you, I don’t know about you, but I know I called them to b**** them out enough and others have reportedly done the same.

Possible solutions for Vista based problems: Nothing in Vista has worked solidly, nor for everyone and some of the updates and solutions have caused new problems (nothing serious, maybe Aero turning off or the likes while playing video). The Notebook comes with Forceware 97.54 installed on it and knowing Toshiba, no chance of a newer version ever coming out. For this very reason we have Laptopvideo2go.com so we can find the newest versions of Nvidia’s drivers with modded .inf files to let us play around with it and find the best possible drivers for our systems. I’ve found that any of the 1xx.xx (referring to forceware with version numbers greater the 100.00) show vast improvement on my system. Some prefer the later 9x.xx or 8x.xx drivers, but I found the best results using tweaksrus.com XTreme-G Forceware Drivers version 101.70 M6 and Media Player Classic install from the latest K-lite Mega Codec Pack (version 2.01) improved video playback greatly in Media Player Classic (also Purevideo drives, but they cost money). Some improvements were also noted in Windows Media Player, Media Center and DVD Player programs, but it just plays noticeably smoother in Media Player Classic. I have not tried VLC yet, but that might also show improvement.

On a note, not everyone seems to be sharing in my successes and still experience problems and also some forceware seem to turn off Aero when using VLC and Media Player Classic (101.70 seems to have fixed this, everything below is sort of hit and miss in 1xx.xx). Also some tweak .inf files don’t seem to contain the right command for proper cooling of the video card and can get quite hot, if some could put the commands here, I would appreciate it. And while these tips seem to help they don’t fix the underlying problem of stutter in game, but have shown improvement. This is where dual-booting comes into play.

Dual-booting is a way to put two operating systems on one system, in this case Windows XP and Windows Vista (your flavor of choice and availability). This problem appears exclusive to Vista and users using XP report no serious problems. Here are things to remember and consider before doing this: you are uninstalling the factory install of Vista that Toshiba put on and thus voiding support whist using XP or Dual-booting. This doesn’t you void your warranty, just means before they’ll talk shop with you, you’ll have reinstall off the restore disc. Please note, this is not in stone and Toshiba, being the company that they are could change there policies and could make it that you screw yourself at any time you change something with your OS. Seeing their level of support and willingness to tell you to get screwed as is, I’m willing to take my chances. Again, this is at you own risk.

Things you’ll need for the more standard method of dual booting, one copy of Windows XP, one copy of Windows Vista and the appropriate drivers for each OS. You’ll also need to change the notebook to boot off of CD/DVD Rom in the bios or the nifty Toshiba System Utility that’s included with your notebook.

As for the copy of XP, there are several ways to go about this. First off, buy one, but considering how prices on XP have not gone down there are four alternative methods. A Toshiba Satellite P105-S9722 restore disc, if you can find one. This will install a XP factory image on your Notebook and will install most of the needed drivers, not all. It may ask you to register/activate our copy, you can either hope it doesn’t or use you Vista key which should work, from the user agreement says you can use it in XP, might wanna call MS on this one to ask (ask about dual-booting and using same key). I just ran repair the time I used this method and entered one of my XP keys I wasn’t using. After that you can use Partition Magic to make room for Vista or leave it as is and joy (you’ll still need to find a couple of drivers). Next you can use a Windows XP SP2 OEM CD, again using the Vista CD key, again I suggest calling MS and asking about this. Or you could use a corporate copy of XP (best solution, good luck finding one).

Windows Vista should be easy enough; you should have gotten a Vista Express Upgrade disc with you S9337, if not, you can order one from MS for $7 bucks, either the 32bit or 64bit (I’m keeping this simple and sticking to 32bit a.k.a. x86). These are discs with all versions of Vista on them and install them based on the key you enter or a 30 day trial version if no key is entered. This disc also will install upgrade versions as full versions in one shoot (clean install) because they have upgrade disabled on them, neat trick to remember and very useful. Or you can install your own purchased copy of Vista, but seeing how expensive Vista is, you will probably end up using the key Toshiba provides you with. It’s your copy; do with it as you please. Once it’s installed you more than likely be asked to activate, it may fail, no big deal. It’s still the system that this copy was intended for and a simple, “I had to reinstall” should work, but it's more than likely going to be no questions asked. You could even switch it to your desktop, but that would require a good excuse so MS will reactivate it.

And lastly the drivers: this may be a little more tricky. You can get the drivers for XP either from the S9722 disc, if your so fortunate to find one or from http://support.toshiba.com and the ‘Portables’>>Satellite>>P105-S9722 download section. I was wrong in my original belief that they removed the XP drivers - you must use the filter at the top to find them (if not go to the P105-9312 instead). A good thing to do before getting started is to go to your device manager in Vista and note the hardware. On the surface the S9722 and the S9337/S9339 are the same notebooks with the same specs and hardware, but whether it is a newer version of the bios or different hardware, the XP auto installer for the Conexant HD Audio and Conexant Audio/Voice Modem will not install them. You will have to use the extracted files for each and use the “have disc” method everyone knows and loves from around here in a similar fashion as the above video card one to install them. Do not use Vista drivers in XP and vise versa, unless otherwise noted. They will cause problems like you have not experienced before.

You will need to install XP first. Make sure to format the hard drive and create a partition to install XP on. You can create the one for Vista when you install Vista. Also, do not divide the HDD (hard drive) into 2 equal sized partitions. It’s up to you, but it’s better to choose on of the 2 partitions to store all your media on. The OS will not be able to run a program installed on the other (there’s a way to do this, but I don’t recommend it) so I suggest you still give a good chunk to the secondary OS. For example on my notebook I have XP on a 70GB partition and Vista on the remaining and store all my media in my user folder in Vista and have a shortcut to it in XP. You can have a smaller partition, but remember to consider your games and their patches/expansions/mods will take up some space. Give XP or Vista, whichever is your secondary at least 60 to 80GB. Some just people I’ve talked to only give XP 30GB, but at 70, I’m already at 80% full.

As for good Nvidia drivers for XP, I found that most of the 84.xx from here work well with the Toshiba and GeForce Go 7900GS. I use the Tweaks R Us 97.94 and really like them.

This should be enough information to get started with. Good luck, and enjoy gaming on your new dual-boot notebook!

*EDIT* 08/09/2007

Someone seems to have figured out a solution to the audio problems and had a positive responce, seeing as to I no longer have this Notebook I have no way of testing it.

You might want to try this driver on your Satellite, it might fix your microphone input:
http://rapidshare.co...00-490.rar.html

I had the same problem on my Satego P100 10U and that driver fixed it for me (Satego and Satellite notebooks are kinda the same, Satego is just an european only model). Not sure if it works for you, but it should be worth it to give it a shot. :)

It's this driver:

;******************************************************************
;	CVHDAUD.INF >> wis30B5a.inf
;
;Abstract:
;	INF file for installing the Conexant Function Driver for 
;	Venice High Definition Audio Device
;[tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab][tab][/tab] 
;******************************************************************
[Version]
Provider=Conexant
DriverVer = 11/22/2006, 3.30.0.0

Dorian

Edited by ®®®, 09 August 2007 - 10:07 AM.

#2 pimptenshi

pimptenshi

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

• Brand:Toshiba
  • Model:P105 S9337
  • Resolution:1440x900 (WXGA/WXGA+/WSXGA)
  • Operating System:XP Home SP2

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

^^ I was missing this topic!

A Quick and Dirty XP install - that is, one which will allow the use of the machine for it's original purpose - GAMING - can be done in 5steps:

:)
0)I strongly sugest that both the Lan Driver and Vista Boot Pro are first saved in a USB drive/SD card/CD-R. Once you install XP the vista boot is erased and it'll be very troublesome to boot back to vista if you can't access the internet to download vistabootpro. I have not tried the wireless drivers available from toshiba yet (step 4 link). It's good to install every other stuff like fingerprint, etc, just to have a nice looking device manager :)

1)Partitioning:

-Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools

-Click on Computer Management then Storage

-Right Click on the c:\ partition (default) and choose shrink volume.

-Choose the size you want for your XP partition and confirm.

2)Installing XP:

-Reboot the machine and press either F2/12 to change to boot order. You can either change in the bios or choose directly to boot from CD-Rom.

-Well, install XP on the newly created partition. (probably need to be formated)

3)Install LAN DRIVER

-Check your card on device manager to see if it is on the compatibility list or at least is of Intel/similar brand(mine is listed as Intel Pro/1000 PL Network, which is not on Intel's compatibility list but the driver still works), otherwise you'll might need another driver.

4)Install Conexant Audio Driver for XP

-This driver has to be installed manually, I think. Just unzip the folder to a path of your choice (e.g. C:\Drivers\Audio)

-I remember that my audio card wasn't recognized until I updated to SP2. I think many "New hardware found" will pop up as soon as you first log into Win XP, which of course can be installed later on.

-The respective hardware is called "Conexant High Definition Audio" or something like that. If as soon as windows is updated to SP2 it doesn't show up, go to control panel and click on "Add Hardware", it should find it.

-Once it is found, choose to install the driver manually and the have disc method. Go to the path you've unziped the driver and choose the respective file (.inf , I think).

5)Install Tweaks R us Driver of your choice

-It is possible that once you boot in windows for the first time the system does not recognize the video card and I remember having to install Intel Drivers in order to card be correctly recognized and displayed as GForce 7900 GS. Maybe this is not necessary using tweaksrus drivers, since no manual install is necessary for it.

-I'm currently using 97.92 and it works pretty well.

-It was mentioned in the old thread that the GPU fans weren't working properly, maybe due to an Service Pack issue. Make sure to have SP2 installed as well as a proper driver. Tweaks R Us drivers fixed my fan problem, I think, since they weren't working even with Nvidia "official" drivers.

-Install Ntune. Overclocking is amazing and mandatory for Oblivion in Ultra High settings =D

Well that's it. Later I'll post about the other "optional" drivers.

#3 RangerXML

RangerXML

Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:13 AM

Does your Mic input work in XP, I cannot for the live of me get it to work. I know in prior dual boot XP install it worked, none of the past ones were bad, just followed (stupidly and blindly) tips from Toshiba to make Vista run better. Now the Mic doesn't function at all in XP and the advanced options for my Audio are gone. It only works in Vista.

Plus have you tried RivaTuner to OC the 7900GS? I can't get OCs to stick on my Lappy. I use it for my desktop and get wonderful results (8800GTX 620/2000, could put the memory a little higher), yet on my lappy it refuses to work. I had some bad experiences with Ntune, both cards I OCed on my desktop it kept clocking them to high and thus the GPUs weren't getting enough juice and got some weird visuals in BF2.

Edited by RangerXML, 13 May 2007 - 01:15 AM.

#4 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

• Model:P105-S9337
  • Video Card:(0298) GeForce Go 7900 GS
  • Operating System:Vista Home Premium x86

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:45 AM

Does your Mic input work in XP, I cannot for the live of me get it to work. I know in prior dual boot XP install it worked, none of the past ones were bad, just followed (stupidly and blindly) tips from Toshiba to make Vista run better. Now the Mic doesn't function at all in XP and the advanced options for my Audio are gone. It only works in Vista.

Plus have you tried RivaTuner to OC the 7900GS? I can't get OCs to stick on my Lappy. I use it for my desktop and get wonderful results (8800GTX 620/2000, could put the memory a little higher), yet on my lappy it refuses to work. I had some bad experiences with Ntune, both cards I OCed on my desktop it kept clocking them to high and thus the GPUs weren't getting enough juice and got some weird visuals in BF2.

I think I'm using Rivatuner for XP to OC my laptop. You have to check the box so the clocks will stick at startup.

#5 pimptenshi

pimptenshi

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

I haven't tried any mics yet.

As for OC, I first tried the optimized settings, which gave me 450 Mhz in core and 600 in memory. With 600MHz the games got buggish and sometimes they were breaking into a black screen. Then I reduced the memory speed to 550 and everything got perfect =D

How far could you OC your GPU?

#6 RangerXML

RangerXML

Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

Ok, I just read that the Toshiba clock is bios locked, I'm downloading nTune to see if that lets me set overclock profiles.

#7 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

So I called toshiba today. After two hours and three different representatives I was advised to preform a complete System Restore in order to"isolate the problem." Looks like a system restore is the solution to everything nowdays. Anyways the guy I talked to said he never heard of such a problem and would forward my case in order so it can be looked over. RangerXML, if you use nHancer (or ntune, i forget) you can set it so that whenever XP boots up your clocks change to the overlocked numbers.

#8 pimptenshi

pimptenshi

Novice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:26 AM

Some guy on nvidia forums claims that he installed 9802 and can play WoW. Meh I'd give it a shot if I weren't busy working on my thesis - last time I installed a modded inf I got a black screen crash.

#9 Guest_No-Mike_*

Guest_No-Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2007 - 05:28 PM

Heh, I just discovered that my mike wasn't working either, so I head over here to report it -- and lo and behold you guys beat me to it. Yeah, mike input is not working for me either so I plan to keep an eye on this threat till the problem is isolated and fixed. :)

#10 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:25 PM

Same here. Just got a Mic to try and test it out and it's not working. My line in works fine but it isnt controllable in the volume controls. Wierd.

#11 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

Hey guys, just found out something. I read somewhere on the Nvidia forums that trying the 98.02 drivers gets rid of the studdering. I gave it a shot and IT'S TRUE! NO MORE STUDDERING! But guess what? The drivers totally suck! You cant play any type of game without getting horrible framerates. I get 10 frames per second in Oblivion 1440x900 ultra high settings, no stuttering though, where with newer drivers I would get 35-45 frames per second but that obvious horrible stuttering.

#12 Guest_No-Mike_*

Guest_No-Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

Same here. Just got a Mic to try and test it out and it's not working. My line in works fine but it isnt controllable in the volume controls. Wierd.

Maybe we need to try a different set of sound drivers... We're obviously close, but not quite on it.

#13 Guest_deyan_*

Guest_deyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

Toshiba have released a new Intel chipset driver... I dont have vista anymore, so I cant try it, but it might be worth trying

http://www.csd.toshi...;all_docs=false

#14 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

Toshiba have released a new Intel chipset driver... I dont have vista anymore, so I cant try it, but it might be worth trying

http://www.csd.toshi...;all_docs=false

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is what I was looking for. I'll install it and get back at you guys to see if the stuttering problem is fixed.

>:O THE LINK DOESNT WORK in toshiba's website :)

Edit2: I went to intel's website and downloaded the chipset drivers from there (They're newer than the ones that toshiba recently posted)
http://downloadcente...s...on&lang=eng

Edit3: Nope, spoke too soon. Same problem :)

Edited by jessi3k3, 19 May 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#15 deyan

deyan

Beginner

• Members
  • 8 posts

• Model:P100
  • Operating System:XP Pro SP2

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This is what I was looking for. I'll install it and get back at you guys to see if the stuttering problem is fixed.

>:O THE LINK DOESNT WORK in toshiba's website :)

Edit2: I went to intel's website and downloaded the chipset drivers from there (They're newer than the ones that toshiba recently posted)
http://downloadcente...s...on&lang=eng

Edit3: Nope, spoke too soon. Same problem :)

s***ty, well it was worth a try, and thanks for trying them!

#16 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:52 PM

s***ty, well it was worth a try, and thanks for trying them!

I'll try it again when Toshiba posts those drivers. Hopefully there's a difference.

#17 Guest_The_King_*

Guest_The_King_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hey guys, yeah this thread has helped me out alot, I have the same stupid laptop and I am forced to keep it due to the guys at fry's being unreasonable. Have you had any lucj getting the 'extra' stuff to work? Like the fingerprint reader and the touchpad? I didnt see too many drivers on toshibas website for xp (of course) So far I have the sound and video working, which is the most important, but of course its nice to use all the features of the $2000 paperweight.

#18 Guest_No-Mike_*

Guest_No-Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:53 AM

It's starting to look like no one has an answer for the WinXP microphone issue on this laptop...

As a work around, do you think a USB based microphone would circumvent the issue? I had partially assumed that USB mikes would use their own recording drivers.

#19 RangerXML

RangerXML

Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:31 AM

I've always just used a Bluetooth headset (Motorola H700) and that works great, but you only get about 6 hours of talk time. Atleast I'm getting some use out of the Bluetooth, but I still would like to be able to use a normal one like when I need to like when I found out it wasn't working.

#20 jessi3k3

jessi3k3

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

Yea, a usb mic would work. I use the headset on my Xbox 360 Controller through USB and that works like a charm.