LaptopVideo2Go Forums

84.69 BSOD nv4_mini.sys Error

dfree86

Hey all,

so I tried to install the 84.69's which according to their guide are ideal for my system, but I ended up getting a Bsod error after a couple seconds in Windows, citing the problematic "nv4_mini.sys" file. Is it likely that this is simply a file that was not deleted when I add/removed my original drivers? And if so, will running Driver Cleaner after I add/remove the orginial ones, but before I install the new ones fix that? And finally, I've seen that a lot of people had Bsod issues of various types (some with the same nv4-mini file) with the 80 series. Does anyone know if this was ever corrected in a later driver update? I've done some searching but haven't looked through every new update, and I'm going to try with a newer update when I get home. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! My specs are as follows:

Dell Inspiron E1505

Windows XP (SP2), Media Center Edition 2005

Intel Core 2 Duo T2050 @ 1.60 GHz/533MHz

1GB System RAM

256 MB GeForce Go 7300

Forceware Version (at present): 84.29

Thanks, all.

As you've noticed, some systems do seem to have problems with 84.69. Normally these BSODs are the result of mismatched driver files, and can be fixed by uninstalling and using a driver cleaner. Unfortunately, this 84.69 crash seems to be something else and normal cleaning methods don't seem to fix it.

Try 84.98. It has all the benefits of 84.69 plus a few more bug fixes and we've not heard of any problems with it.

As you've noticed, some systems do seem to have problems with 84.69. Normally these BSODs are the result of mismatched driver files, and can be fixed by uninstalling and using a driver cleaner. Unfortunately, this 84.69 crash seems to be something else and normal cleaning methods don't seem to fix it.Try 84.98. It has all the benefits of 84.69 plus a few more bug fixes and we've not heard of any problems with it.
Thanks for the help and the quick reply. But what of the missing INF file for that driver? Do I just skip the step of the install process where I drag the modded INF into the folder, and go straight to setup.exe?
Thanks for the help and the quick reply. But what of the missing INF file for that driver? Do I just skip the step of the install process where I drag the modded INF into the folder, and go straight to setup.exe?
Whoops. It's there and I'm a dummy. Hopefully this one works nicely!

Blast! No luck with the 84.98 either. Same BSOD issue, right after windows loads. And this time I even Driver Cleaned inbetween uninstall and reinstall. Could it be the entire 80 series that is just unfriendly to my system? I've noticed that no one seems to have had a walk in the park when trying to install LV2Go drivers on Dell's E1505, so I don't think my issue is atypical. Is there something I could do try and manually remove the nv4_mini file, or edit it or something?

Let me know if you have any recs for 90 or 100 series drivers to try for my GeForce Go 7300, I'm going to try those next.

Thankee, thankee.

It sounds like your system is just having a problem with the 80 series drivers. removing the file manually won't solve anything. Go ahead and try the 90 series. It's a good idea to clean out the remnants of your 80 series drivers first, but the 90 series should work fine for you.

It sounds like your system is just having a problem with the 80 series drivers. removing the file manually won't solve anything. Go ahead and try the 90 series. It's a good idea to clean out the remnants of your 80 series drivers first, but the 90 series should work fine for you.

By clean out you mean just do a Driver Clean like normal inbetween taking out the olds (80's) and installing the news (90's). Also, any 90.XX in particular for my graphics card or just go with anyone that's supported?

Yes, uninstall, then use a driver cleaner to clear out the remnants.

94.24 is a very good driver that works well for many people.

Okay. So I tried 94.24, doing several cleans in between uninstall/reinstall. As it was installing I got a popup that said that one of the files (i think perhaps the NV4_mini.sys) didn't match something in the driver's ".cab" file, and gave me the option to Abort, Retry, or Ignore. I didn't want to stop, so I just ignored and the download completed. Upon rebooting, I managed to get past the point where I usually get the BSOD, but Windows still loaded in really low resolution. When I tried to change the resolution, or access my nvidia control panel with the new drivers I wasn't able to. It was like I was in safe mode almost; the drivers didn't seem to be recognizing my card and I had no way of getting into the nvidia control panel. i even searched for "nvidia" anywhere on the drive and came up with squat. Stumped, I system restored. Could this have anything to do with the fact that this was an "EVGA" driver? My add/remove programs showed that I had "EVGA Display Drivers" but I had no idea how to access/manage them.

Then I tried 97.92, a Nvidia release, hoping that I'd have better luck. I sort of did, I suppose. They installed fine and I didn't get BSOD upon reboot, but Windows still loaded in the low resolution. This time, I could see the icons for the 'Nvidia control panel' and 'nview' in my Control Panel, but clicking on them yielded nothing. In my Device Manager, my card was listed under display drivers but with a yellow exclamation point as though it knew something had been tweaked.

I guess I might call this progress, but I'm lost on how to manage the new drivers once they're installed. Is this all fairly standard trouble-shooting? Should I just keep trial-and-erroring with different drivers?

Thanks so much for sticking with me in this. I hope to find one that works!

Unfortunately, that's not much progress. it sounds like the drivers are now installing but failing to load for some reason. The system is then defaulting to the built-in EVGA (Extgended VGA) driver, which is extremely limited as you've seen.

Something is preventing all these drivers from working correctly. If your original 84.29 driver still works, I would go back to that for now. Then start ruling out possibilities, including hardware problems, some weird installer block by Dell, virus, etc. etc.

OKAY.

I just installed the 163.15's and everything appears to be working normally. GULP. Immediate differences seem to include a beefed up, far more navigable version of Nvidia Control Panel and - it may just be me and my elation that something appears to have worked - but everything on my desktop looks crisper and clearer. Heh. That may just be colored by my relief. I'm not exactly sure what I did differently, but here's my process in case anyone else is having problems with my card or the drivers that I did.

1. Disabled everything I've got, including my internet connection and On-Access Virus Scan.

2. Uninstalled existing 84.29's.

3. Rebooted in safe mode, went into Device manager--> Display drivers, right-clicked my card name, selected "uninstall."

4. Ran Driver Cleaner Pro, twice.

5. Rebooted in normal Windows.

6. Installed new 163.15's.

7. Rebooted.

These are almost brand new drivers and if they continue to work for me, then yay. I'm going to use some of the Oblivion optimisation settings listed elsewhere and see how I go. I really hope I'm not speaking to soon and everything crashes an hour for now or I can't run some critical operation.

Let me know if anyone has any specific suggestions for how to maximize performance with these Drivers on my card.

Finally, my only lingering games issue (at present, at least) is an inability to run MOHAA. I've managed to get the game to open, but it always crashes at the mission loading screen, citing an error with the "gamex86.dll" file. Now that I've got the new drivers and am still having the problem, I'm thinking it's a corrupt file. I know this a different problem entirely and inappropriate for this forum (I'll surely inquire about it elsewhere on appropriate forums) but I figured I'd just mention because everyone here seems to be pretty darn knowledgeable. I feel like I should be able to just replace the existing .dll with modded, functional one - but I can't seem to find one to do that. If any ideas, let me know!

Thanks LSudlow for bearing with me. If I have any other questions, I'll definitely come back to these forums first.

Cheers!

I'm glad you've got it working! Good luck with gamex86.dll.

:)