LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros WLAN drivers for Windows 7 and Vista (x86 & x64)

mobilenvidia

Take it in then and get them to make it work :)

What part of the country you in ?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Jake_

• Pawel

• Anarion

Funnily enough I'm in Mt Cook but not the Wellington one :)

Guest churchwa
K well, I have tried alot of different drivers this morning and it just isn't working. I have worked out that the 11n is not working at all as when I set my router to 11n only rather than 11g+n and I was unable to connect to it. therefore the problem is not just that it cannot reach speeds of above 54mbs but the problem is more that the whole 11n of the card is not working? Therefore how do I make it work? Is this a Driver issue or a Hardware issue or a 64bit driver compatibility issue.

OK, I am having EXACTLY the same issues as you. Are you by any chance using a Belkin N+ router? I have istalled all sorts of drivers and I cannot get my AR5009 to connect and anything above 54mbps. Dell are sending me a new card so I will see if that helps, but it does sound like a drivers issue and not a hardware one.

I am using Windows 7 (32bit) but I had the same problems in Vista (32bit)

What card exactly are we talking about here from Dell ?

Model name of card and Notebook

OK, I am having EXACTLY the same issues as you. Are you by any chance using a Belkin N+ router? I have istalled all sorts of drivers and I cannot get my AR5009 to connect and anything above 54mbps. Dell are sending me a new card so I will see if that helps, but it does sound like a drivers issue and not a hardware one.

I am using Windows 7 (32bit) it had the same problems in Vista (32bit)

Ok, yes and no to the Belkin N+ router. I have two Wireless routers in my home one of which is the Belkin N+ and the other is a Cnet N+ router. And I can connect to neither of them if they are set to 11n only. And when is set to G+N I only get 54mbs. So that makes me think not a Belkin Problem.

Is Dell making pay for this new card or is it being provided free?

I may have to give Acer a call and see if I can get a new one.

P.S: Have just installed Windows 7 x64 as a Dual Boot so I will check if I have the same problem on that.

Ok, yes and no to the Belkin N+ router. I have two Wireless routers in my home one of which is the Belkin N+ and the other is a Cnet N+ router. And I can connect to neither of them if they are set to 11n only. And when is set to G+N I only get 54mbs. So that makes me think not a Belkin Problem.

Is Dell making pay for this new card or is it being provided free?

I may have to give Acer a call and see if I can get a new one.

P.S: Have just installed Windows 7 x64 as a Dual Boot so I will check if I have the same problem on that.

Vista and Win 7 will find drivers automatically, they are pretty similar in how they work, so chances are Vista no work, Win 7 also no work.

There could be old driver bit left behind.

What you could do is uninstall the atheros sw in the 'Programs installed' in control panel.

BUT also go into device manager and remove the card manually, then scan for new harsware, then remove again until windows no longer installs a driver that it has stored locally (tick remove software)

Then reboot and install a driver.

As posted in my other thread, I have a Dell Studio XPS 13 with a Dell wireless 1515 N network card.

Dell are providing me with a free replacement card, should be with me on Tuesday, so I will let you know how that goes.

Given that the AR5009 supposedly does not exist, which wireless card should I select from the list if i am to install the drivers in this thread?

Many thanks for all your help.

EDIT: Windows wont let me uninstall all the drives, it wants to keep it's own ones.

EDIT2: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=23113

Edited by churchwa

I've got the Dell WLAN 1515 down as a Broadcom 94322 chipset see front page post I did a few days ago.

Lets get back to the other post and sort this

I'm sorry for my English, I'm from Russia. I just want to know, how can i setup downloaded files (i mean Atheros v7.6.1.204, for example). When i unpack rar, there are 6 files: 2 *.sys , 2 *.cat , 2 *.inf What i must do next ?

You need to update the driver via Control Panel, Device manager, then your WLAN card

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got a Linksys WRT300N router to upgrade to wireless N, My laptop supposedly supported it out of the box.. I've got a Asus G50-x1 with a Atheros AR928X wireless adapter. I just tried using the Atheros v7.6.1.204 Driver. (running 64-bit windows vista so i installed netathrx.inf) After installing it I rebooted and then went in to my wireless network settings, set it to "Wireless N only" set the Radio Band to 40Mhz - Wide and saved the settings.

I was unable to connect to the router after setting it to the above settings. Am I missing anything? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Leave the Laptop WLAN settings, don't touch them from default.

The WLAN card will go at the fastest speed that the router can spit out.

On the router make sure you have 11n enabled and 40Mhz channel width (set to auto).

This should be all you need to enable 11n on both laptop and router.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Denis

Hi,

I have a toshiba Laptop with Atheros AR5008x card. When i try to connect to my wireless network it tells me that the signal quality is poor although the router is 1 meter away and iy shows 4 bars for the signal. I'm using Vista Ultimate SP1. I installed the 7.6.1.204 driver with the moded inf but still nothe same error. Does anybody have an idea how to fix that?

• 3 weeks later...

Added 7.7.0.199

With all the new drivers (7.6 and up) my wifi LED flashes when connected. It is anoying as it is a bright-orange/blue flash - very noticible.

Is there any way to make the led solid when connected?

With all the new drivers (7.6 and up) my wifi LED flashes when connected. It is anoying as it is a bright-orange/blue flash - very noticible.

Is there any way to make the led solid when connected?

Does this also happen with the modded driver ?

There are a few settings in the INF that control the LED's and can take many hours of tweaking to get it right for your Notebook/card.

Guest Guest - Korps

mmmm why does this 7.7.0.199 drivers have an older date than the 7.6.1.194??? under the driver tab in the device manager?

any way to find a log change? between drivers?

Does this also happen with the modded driver ?

There are a few settings in the INF that control the LED's and can take many hours of tweaking to get it right for your Notebook/card.

Yes. Both original and modded drivers.

I tried removing these lines:

HKR, ,softLEDEnable,0x00002, "1"

HKR, ,swapDefaultLED,0x00002, "1"

but the first line does not exists in the inf, and removal of the other one makes no difference.

My laptop is Compaq v6065ea and the card is AR5006EX mounted by IBM/Lenovo in T60 series laptops.

It is not being detected automatically with modded drivers but if I add it in the .ini file or just select "Atheros Wireless Network Adapter" it works fine, except this flashing.

HKR,, linkLEDFunc, 0, "35"

HKR,, swapDefaultLED, 0x00002, "1"

Are the settings I use in the modded INF, have a play with these.

0-255

HKR,, linkLEDFunc, 0, "35"

Lower number will probably have a beter effect, this setting is bit sensitive, so binary knowledge will be a plus.

have a look in the original INF for example settings

HKR,, swapDefaultLED, 0x00002, "1"

This will either be enabled = 1 or disabled = 0

There are many other settings that also control LEDs/Pins/blabla but I found the above 2 worked and were adjustable on my Dell i9400

I tried various drivers and various settings but all of them have exactly the same effect. Even the blink frequency is identical.

Do you think it might be caused purely by using Windows 2008 R2 Server?

BTW

Drivers dedicated for Windows 7 from this forum do not work at all.

Edited by impactor