LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros WLAN drivers for Windows 7 and Vista (x86 & x64)

mobilenvidia

Guest alchemy
I have a DWA-556 PCIe card, and with the 7.4.2.15 drivers I cannot connect to 802.11n signals anymore, so I had to roll back to stay on my n network. Looks like those drivers are a bit messed.

I'm trying to get my D-Link DWA-556 connected to my Wireless N Network using my D-Link DGL-4500

The only time the card can connect is when the router is in Mixed g/n mode, why?

The card is a N card, but when I switch the router to N mode only, Vista reports "The wireless network adapter does not meet the minimum requirements of this wireless network"

Any ideas?

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Jake_

• Pawel

• Anarion

Guest c4p0ne

Hello, I've been using the Netgear WPN311 (Apparently AR5004G Chipset). Are there ANY available 64-bit Drivers that will allow the Wildpackets PEEK protocol to install on a Vista 64-bit system? Many of the drivers you provide here seem to install and work flawlessly, but for some reason when attempting to add the "PEEK" protocol (after the Atheros drivers are in place/working) it says cannot find compatible adapter. Now the 4.2.2.9 Atheros drivers WORK with the PEEK protocol but apparently are not available in 64-bit flavor. Any thoughts on this frustrating, time eating black-hole of an issue?

Guest c4p0ne

Can anyone point me to a link with Atheros drivers AND PEEK drivers that work together on Vista x64? In otherwords, I'd like to install 64-bit Atheros drivers on Vista x64, and THEN install a 64-bit PEEK protocol driver without it giving me an error of "cannot find compatible hardware for this device"....

• 3 weeks later...

Added 7.6.0.126

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Added v7.6.0.154

100% original

could you tell me how to join modded inf with original drivers?

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

You'll have to install it first (via setup) then find the drivers (2 files needed)

Then grab modded INF copy version line from original put in modded INF.

Now reinstall driver.

Or you could get me these 3 files if you are running Vista x86:

athr.sys

athrest.cat (not needed with modded inf)

netathr.inf

Once I have this I can make a driver for Vista x86 (from you) and I have Vista x64.

Then will be able to make a modded INF.

You can attach the files here (once zipped)

but for vista drivers you need these files from installed original drivers (now I am using modded drv) or another?

do you have any ideas how to run netstumbler or vistaumbler under vista? my wlan card is sparklan based on ar5006ex

wild packet drivers didn't work also....

Edited by ®®®
Removed Full Quotation of Previous Post

The modded INF is still the same driver, i just enable some hidden settings

And also noticed the modded INF driver gets much better range.

So the netstumberler and vistumber will work with or without the modded INF (original version)

For me to mod the driver I need the files mentioned above, with Vista x64 I cannot get to the x86 files

• 4 weeks later...

Added v7.6.0.172

Being Vista files and Atheros not beng very forth coming with a Client Utility means no setup files.

You will need to use the update driver method via control panel to update these.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, I forgot it's Windows xp x64 :)

Would it not help to look on the XP driver thread? :)

Just got an Asus M50Vm-B1 with the Atheros AR928X Wifi built in. It has B, G and N capabilities. Heres the problem: N wont work.

Any idea what should i do? I dont even know what to do with this drivers in first thread in this topic.

Just got an Asus M50Vm-B1 with the Atheros AR928X Wifi built in. It has B, G and N capabilities. Heres the problem: N wont work.

Any idea what should i do? I dont even know what to do with this drivers in first thread in this topic.

Why are so many people having issues with this card.

Is it a card?

If it is is it a Mini-PCIe card (long skinny)? or Mini-PCI card ? (wide)

Would love to get my hands on one, not seen any Mini-PCIe cards at all, mini-PCI cards are available.

Can't do much diagnosing without one as they should work from the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have D-Link DWA-547 RangeBooster N650 Desktop Adapter. I am running Win Vista x64. But i cannot get 300mbps speed to my router, only 54mbps.

I dont understand a thing :)

Witch driver should I use?

• 2 weeks later...

You havn't told us what is your laptop (WLAN) card so cannot suggest a driver to start with.

But always try manufacturer's driver first.