LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Latest Atheros modded Driver for Windows 7, Vista and WinXP

mobilenvidia

Latency solved on my Atheros AR5B97 Wifi Adapter on WinXP using my own modded driver.

I have been searching for a driver for my Atheros AR5B97 wifi adapter for Windows XP, because I downgraded the Win7 OS on my ACER Aspire 7750 to WinXP.

But all the drivers I found (including those on this forum) did not work properly. They did not work or generated latency (checked via DPC latency checker).

Because I use my laptop as a DAW (digital audio workstation), I need as low latency as possible, and glitches are not acceptable.

So, what I did was experimenting with the settings of the latest official driver I found: 9.2.0.480 for XP.

I noticed spikes every 30 seconds in DPC latency checker when my Atheros card was active. When I disabled the card, the spikes were gone, so I knew the spikes were due to the Atheros Wifi Adapter. Then I changed the parameter: Scan Valid Interval: 120 (it was 30 I believe) and I noticed the spikes were every 120 secs or so.

So I guess the spikes of latency have something to do with this Scan Interval parameter. I also noticed that in the modded drivers that don't work for the Atheros AR5B97 on WinXP, there is an extra parameter called: Background Scan that you can put to Off. So I thought, if I can have this parameter available in the latest driver, I could try to set this value to Off. So I replaced the inf file and modded it with the code I found in the last know XP modded driver that does not work for this card and added an entry for my AR5B97 card. I named my driver 9.2.0.504 and I replaced the current driver and I saw the value appear in the settings. I changed the value for Background Scan to Off and voila the spikes of latency are completely gone. :)

Update: I noticed that the LED of the adapter was not working, so I added code to show the LED (based on the post by Abrasax).

In attachment (see next post) I have included my modded driver 9.2.0.504. I have to say: please use at your own risk and I only tested it with the Atheros AR5B97, but it might work with other Atheros Wifi adapters on XP.

Don't forget to change the parameters:

-Background Scan: off

-Roaming Policy: very low

-and Scan Valid Interval: 120 (max)

Let me know if it works for other cards.

Edited by XploRR

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• stanny

• chiefwigms

• UberB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update to my previous post about my modded driver for Atheros AR5B97 for Windows XP (please first read my previous post above before you continue).

I noticed that the LED of the adapter was not working, so I added the code to show the LED (based on the post by Abrasax).

Version 9.2.0.504 in attachment.

Don't forget to change these parameters:

-Background Scan: off

-Roaming Policy: very low

-and Scan Valid Interval: 120 (max)

atheros 9.2.0.504.zip

Edited by XploRR

hi, i am new to all these.

i am using an asus with ar9285 on win 7 64bit.

i am having so many problems with the wireless. dropouts very frequently.

i been reading this thread and many people has had success with the modded file.

i tried to download and install atheros_v9.2.0.105_v1.31 but it does not install.

if i am reading correctly, i have to mod the file to get some ID thing working.

can someone please help me.

anyone able to help me please?

hello helpful folks

i indeed looked around this thread and unfortunately couldnt find an answer

i'm setting up xp on a fujitsu lifebook ah530

it has an AR9285 adapter with

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_153710CF&REV_01\4&1D521A10&0&00E1

my main aim is to set the laptop up as an access point (as if the laptop was one of those devices you hook up to your broadband)

i read on the internet that this is a new thing on new wifi adapters and it said there that atheros ones are apparently leading the way. so i'm really hoping it will be possible...

my driver version is 7.7.0.429 from fujitsu's website

i really don't know how to move forward since there are many posts with drivers but can't figure out which to use

anybody know how to enable the access point emulation on my kind of chip and maybe where to get the drivers for that to work?

many thanks for your help, any input really appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone with ar5b97 chip will want to read this. I found the solution for LED not working.

in the netathr.inf file find the lines

HKR,, linkLEDFunc, 0, "35"

HKR, , swapDefaultLED, 0x00002, "1"

and change the first from 35 to 8

I also added the two lines from the original driver right below the first two

HKR, , gpioPinFunc0, 0x00002, "8"

HKR, , gpioLedCustom, 0x00002, "3"

also under the [atheros.DelReg] section find

HKR,,gpioPinFunc0

HKR,,gpioLedCustom

and delete them. Save the inf file and then normally install the driver. It's working as stated at the beginning of this thread. When connections are available there is a long blink, and when the adapter is connected it blinks in accordance to network traffic.

Also if anyone else is having the issues with LED let me know and i'll see what i can do. I attached the fixed inf if you are too lazy :)

Thanx. Work very well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem.

No sufficient range using AR9285 in a Z470 Lenovo notebook.

Using modified driver 8.x solved the range problem, but, I'm having much packets lost.

After enabling all the possible configurations of AR9285, what can I change to solve he packets lost issue?

I called to Lenovo support.

I explained the sign lost if I move away more than 3 meters from the router.

Buddy answered me that Lenovo just serviced ensures up to 3 meters and still made me do a test, ping the system itself, i.e. to have 0 packet loss. If I had spoken q no more connection took 1 m, would say that only guarantee up to 1 metre ... joke ready like we say here!

Simply disappointing Lenovo post-sales and support!

Newest Atheros driver for Win 7/Vista 32/64:

1. Fixed led, now working and blinking based at network activity;[Thanx abrasax]

2. No more Event error when driver starting 'Event ID 10000: WLAN Extensibility

Module has failed to start';

3. All advanced functions is still enabled.

Tested on Acer Aspire 5742G

http://www.demonoid....930861/3307885/

-or-

http://www.2shared.com/file/QLlcQmtk/win7-100045-modded.html

Edited by nukestar

Hi guys, wondering if you could help a newbbie

basically i have an old laptop (windows xp) with a AR5005G chip, currently i cant connect to any router on channel 12/13

ive tried the drivers on this thread but none work. any help?

• 1 month later...

I can not change the mac of my card with the drive v9.2.0.105 with modded INF v1.31 for Vista/Win7 Both x86 and x64

Should work for ALL Atheros Chipset versions anyone know why?

someone teach me how to change the mac so my card with the original drive him pls my plate and that Tp-link Tl-wn951n

Edited by 3N1GMA

Hi,

I recently bought a TP-Link TL-WN822N v2 USB-Adapter with these Chip(set)s:

- AR9002U-2NG

- AR7010

- AR9287

I can't get any of your modded driver versions to run :-( Please help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, would like to ask you to bulid modded driver for my Atheros 9380 wifi card, for WinXPsp3, I`m using version 9.2.0.419, router model LinksysE2000. Thanks for help.

• 1 month later...

hi there. I am going nuts and needed to do upgrade on my driver attached is the latest from acer for the AR5B97. I tried the other mods , but they seemed to drop the internet and I would have to do a diagnostic repair and reset too frequently to get any work done. I tried modding them myself, It worked for a sec, then didnt with newest update. Please help. My internet sucks.

Acer 5750 64 bit - never had the problem before i had to wipe and reformat because of that happilli virus.

thank you, if you can help, or if you can tell me tell me what I should do.

:)

included is .inf for Atheros Lan 10.0.67 w7x86w7x64_a

netathrx.inf

netathr.inf

Edited by annette

Notebook Acer Aspire 4752Z, Windows 7 pro x64. Wireless adapter AR5B97

But can not see any AccessPoints, LED = off.

FN+F3 popup wireless switch on, off but nothing happens.

Any idea how to turn it on ?

Tried all possible drivers - same result.

Using live Ubuntu desktop dvd it is working and FN+F3 works.

Edited by Maaris

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please mod latest (10.0.0.75) drivers?

Thank you very much!

I just purchased a ASUS K55A laptop...very nice and it 'had' the Atheros AR9485 Adaptor with:

Driver Date: 10/3/2011

Driver Ver: 9.2.0.458

I D/L and just installed:

Driver Date: 12/14/2011

Driver Ver: 9.2.1.470

No modds at all....installed fine...through Device Manager...browse method....pointing the system to the new .inf file...

Advance setting within adaptor...Wireless setting...with N...

no problems at all, but word like to give the latest Ver:10.0.0.75 is go.....but can not navigate the darn Atheros.cz site...lol

Could someone kindly post a clear D/L link.....thanks :)

Ok...just modded the netathrx.inf file and now have:

Qualcom Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter:

Driver: Qualcom Atheros

Driver Date: 7/24/2012

Driver Ver: 10.0.0.75

This is for Win7 64 bit....and will report back on stability... :)

netathrx.inf

Very stable thus far not one disconnect or resetting of the wireless adapter like the 9.2.0.458 driver that came installed with this new laptop...

Very nice! :)

Edited by gahbmwm5

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a ASUS K55A laptop...very nice and it 'had' the Atheros AR9485 Adaptor with:

Driver Date: 10/3/2011

Driver Ver: 9.2.0.458

I D/L and just installed:

Driver Date: 12/14/2011

Driver Ver: 9.2.1.470

No modds at all....installed fine...through Device Manager...browse method....pointing the system to the new .inf file...

Advance setting within adaptor...Wireless setting...with N...

no problems at all, but word like to give the latest Ver:10.0.0.75 is go.....but can not navigate the darn Atheros.cz site...lol

Could someone kindly post a clear D/L link.....thanks :)

Ok...just modded the netathrx.inf file and now have:

Qualcom Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter:

Driver: Qualcom Atheros

Driver Date: 7/24/2012

Driver Ver: 10.0.0.75

This is for Win7 64 bit....and will report back on stability... :)

netathrx.inf

Very stable thus far not one disconnect or resetting of the wireless adapter like the 9.2.0.458 driver that came installed with this new laptop...

Very nice! :)

hi,

is this inf file modded. I compared this with the stock from 10.0.0.75 inf file and see no difference!

All I did was change some of the strings....no tweeks.....so that I had a newer driver....I typically do not try to tweek any Wireless, or Sound cards as problems always develop.....so you are correct...

But most importantly for moi....is that this driver has not disconnected once.....not one time did I have to reset the wireless adaptor...like the driver mentioned above that came pre-installed with this newly purchased laptop.. :hump:

Here are the latest Atheros 64-bit drivers with modded INF included: http://voidseesaw.co..._v9.2.1.470.zip

I didn't do anything special here other than extract the SYS and CAT files from the download at this site: http://www.station-d...age/atheros.htm

I also updated the modded INF with the correct date and version number.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

I've personally tested this Driver Ver: 9.2.1.470 and I find it working great on AR9485 with the following tweak settings;

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE SELECTED

11d Mode Switch: disabled

802.11 Bluetooth high speed: enable

802.11b preamble: long and short

adhoc 11n: disable

adhoc channel select: 10

Antenna switch: Antenna B or Auto

Auto Transmit rate: Enable

Background scan On/Off: off

Dynamic MIMO power save: disable

Green TX: off

Map Registers: 256

MFP: disable

Network address: not present

pcieaspm: L0s, Off, L1, Off

Power save legacy algorithm: PS non Poll

Powersave mode: off

power save policy (background): legacy power save

power save policy (best effort): legacy power save

power save policy (video): legacy power save

power save policy (voice) legacy power save

radio on/off: On

Receive buffers: 256

roaming policy: Very High

roamrateA: 54mbps

roamrateB: 11mbps

roamrateBonly: 11mbps

roamrssiA: 15

roamrssiB: 24

roamrssiBonly: 8

RSSI threshold: normal

scan valid interval: 60

transmit buffer: 512

transmit power: 100%

wireless mode: 11n (2.4ghz) and g and b

@gahbmwm5 can you please enable all the tweaks to your modded driver, and I would like to test it out.

I tested your current one which work great but I preferred it with the enabled tweak settings.

I'm personally going to upgrade the wifi card to ar9462 dual band.

Edited by naz2x

• 1 month later...

Guys. I have a desktop PC with TP-Link wireless adapter which uses "Atheros AR922X" drivers.

I have 2 problems.

1. My computer often freezes.

2. Sometimes when I turn on the computer the adaptor is not detected and wireless is the only way I have to access a connection.

I used your modded drivers and my problems were gone for a while but they came back.

I changed my pc components one by one. The only one I didn't change was this Tp-Link adaptor.

This are the problems the modded driver solves or not? Should I search for the solution in another place?

It happens to somebody else?

• 1 month later...

Is the AR 9271 not supported?  I can't find it in any of the modded drivers I've downloaded.. It goes right from Ar922X to AR9280.  Does anyone know what I could use or do to get my AR 9271 working with this modded driver? I've tried using some of the closer versions that aren't "9271" and it says "This device cannot start." I've looked everywhere and any help is greatly appreciated :)

• HI  i looking for modded driver for AR9271 witch i can't find it ( the original is 9.2.0.19 and the latest modded drivers don't have this driver ).

Please !!!!       

• the driver that I currently use (TL-WN422G_v2_100611) from TP-link website offen disconnects and download speed does not reach the maximum of my connection

I Use Windows 8 x64 but I had the same problem with this driver in windows 7 x64

I would be grateful if you guys help me with this problem that is driving me crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Very new to this forum and not overly technical when it relates to drivers for components added to a PC desktop.

I installed a D-Link DWA-552 Extreme wireless adapter in my Gateway 500S work horse about a year ago. Never gave memory usage too much thought until I had a driver issue with my Canon L6000 laser and had to finally reload Windows XP Home yesterday. That was a chore in itself because MS moved everything and updating with SP1, SP2 and SP3 was more grief than I could handle. Done now.

Anyway, I reloaded the driver for the DWA-552 that came with it and noticed some things running that I had not seen before. Proc(s) associated with the wireless manager software I believe. I remember seeing it spike to about 300,000Mb of RAM and decided that wasn't going to be Gen Op Pro for me or the desktop.

Searching for info on drivers that could be loaded without the manager components, I found this site. 

I've tried two already:  atheros_v7.6.1.170_v1.21 and atheros_v7.7.0.259_v1.26.

Must be doing something wrong because they do work, but the wireless D-Link will only connect at 54Mb/s. It connected @130 Mb/s with the D-Link driver software before I started monkeying with it.

We're running a Cisco E2500 dual band router. The higher channel is running on channel 48 @ 5.24GHz, and the lower frequency is running on channel 11 @ 2.452GHz (Both bands are set with a channel width of 20MHz to 40MHz)  

I did try switching the lower frequency to channel 9 to see if that helped. 

Ideas, suggestions?

• 2 months later...