LaptopVideo2Go Forums

macbook-like two finger scroll for synaptics touchpad

Guest gz

are there any hacks to allow synaptics touchpads to have the macbook two finger scroll and two finger right click touchpad functions? or is this physically not possible with the synaptics touchpad?

RRR, I remember you used some registry values to enable two finger gestures in one of the Synaptics drivers once, do you recall how?

Yes you're right, but my memory is fainting on that :)

gz, is there no setting in the Control Panel? If not, have a look in the .INF or in one of the .INI or .CFG files of the driver.

no option in control panel, but there is some sort of option in the registry called 2fingergestures, but i cant find any documentation on it

the key is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadVScrlTPPS2_3\2FingerGestures

but theres a lot of mysterious settings in that folder, so i really dont know what they do.

i am wondering if the 2 finger gestures are hardware dependent. i have a asus g1s, so its a pretty new laptop, so i would hope my touchpad can support this

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
are there any hacks to allow synaptics touchpads to have the macbook two finger scroll and two finger right click touchpad functions? or is this physically not possible with the synaptics touchpad?

physically, its possible... I do it on linux. I don't know why but window's drivers doesn't seem to have that option, although the hardware can do it...

:)

it is really great! (specially circular scrolling)

• 1 month later...

I believe Synaptics locked those features from certain versions of their touchpad module's firmware (eg my 5920G doesn't support 2/3 finger gestures).

For an alternative, take a look at this project (saw it at thinkpads.com)

http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

• 1 year later...

Newest 15.0.24.0 drivers enabled 2 finger scroll for me. I also have 3 finger press and flick gestures available to me as well. These functions were not available in prior versions. Not only does it work but it works perfectly. I disabled the 3 finger ones though because I have no use for them. The 2 finger scroll is nice though since I can now free up the immediate right and bottom of my touchpad now. :)

• 5 months later...
Guest Menotti BG

I have found a way to enable the two-finger tap to be used as right-click (just like the Mac's one) as there is no settings in the Synaptcis driver for this (I am using the very latest driver, Scrybe enabled, and still there is no such setting). Simply open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTP\TouchPadPS2. There on the right you will find a DWORD value named 2FingerTapAction with a default value (0). In order to enable the two-finger tap to work as a right-click modify this value to 2. Restart you computer and enjoy your new functionality :)

Greetings from Bulgaria!