LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 1710 series video card

jskeys

I have an Acer Aspire 1710 series "Laptop" (actually, an Acer Aspire 1712 SMi). It has a Nvidia Geforce FX 5700, 128 M video card. The video card has died and I obviously need to replace it. (I'm working in West Africa so access to parts/service is very, very limited). The replacement card as an Acer part is over $350. I am hoping someone can help advise me, if there are any other options for cards out there that will fit in the Acer slot. I don't do gaming I use the computer for normal office functions and DVDs. Given the number of cards on the market now I was hoping that there was something cheaper that would let me get the Acer back up and running, If there is a alternate replacement I will buy it and have someone bring it over when they come.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

John

I have an Acer Aspire 1710 series "Laptop" (actually, an Acer Aspire 1712 SMi)....

Bad news, very probably not. Acer used proprietary cards, only 5700,5600 and 5350 (?) were available.

Easy to burn, as they ran hot. Probably 5350 might be available but those prices are ridiculous for out-out-outdated hardware. I ditched mine over 2 years ago as probably the Mobo went bad.