LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Black screen when I try running/launching Crysis. Please help!

BDron

Hello.

I just bought Crysis, installed it, and after having a Hell of a time trying to locate it, found the Electronic Arts folder in Program Files. I went into the Bin32 folder, found the exec file and launched the game. Unfortunately, all I got was a black screen with no other activity. I ran task manager and it told me the program stopped working. I'm in trouble deep here. I was psyched to play this game 'cuz I think my notebook can run it, but now I'm not so sure. I'm not too tech savvy. I will add this, if it helps:

I have an Asus G2S-B1, which as I understand should be able to handle the game, albeit not at maximum settings.

I have Vista (32-bit).

I have an NVIDIA 8600GT 256 card, and I recently updated the driver (from this site) from 101.34 to 163.67 (because Gears of War asked me to upgrade to 163.44 but that wasn't available).

Did I mess up?

Anyone else having this problem?

Will downloading the 169.09 driver help?

I'm both sad and confused. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If the game didn't install a desktop icon it might not have finished installing. (unless you told it not to)

I would recommend that you go ahead and upgrade to 169.09, it also should run GOW well (since UT3 runs good on it too).

With a single 8600 GT you can probably play the game with around medium settings, possibly. You might want to look up the custom tweaks online.

You can make a config.cfg file in the game's folder that will automatically run configuration commands at startup.

Thanks so much for the reply and the advice!

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled, and updated my NVIDIA driver to 169.09. When I launched the game this time, I got this message:

"Conflict with Emulation Software detected."

Do you know what that means?

'Cuz the install appeared to go well, but then again, I can't play the game now and there isn't even a black screen.

Additionally (and unfortunately) I'm not very good with technical stuff, so the config.cfg file things sounds cool but I have no idea how to do something like that. It might even be super-easy, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

Either way, thanks for the reply and any help you might be able to offer. I really appreciate it.

The problem your having now is with securerom detecting something like deamon tools or some program like that. Or maybe you have some funny drive hardware it doesn't like.

You will need to disable the software, patch it, put the Crysis disk in your PC, or use a no DVD patch.

Wow. Is this a common problem? Because as far as I know I have none of the emulation software you mentioned and haven't installed anything like that myself.

Seems kind've crazy to have to deal with all these shinanigans when attempting to run a legit copy of a game on a completely legit notebook, no?

Anyhow, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gabriel
Seems kind've crazy to have to deal with all these shinanigans when attempting to run a legit copy of a game on a completely legit notebook, no?

Yep...crazy indeed. I also have a G2S and I'm facing problems almost everyday...now i'm dealing with the same problem when trying to run crysis...a black screen at the start. If I figure out what the problem is, I post here to you.

Guest Dpelvin
Yep...crazy indeed. I also have a G2S and I'm facing problems almost everyday...now i'm dealing with the same problem when trying to run crysis...a black screen at the start. If I figure out what the problem is, I post here to you.

Hmm must be an sus problem, i have the G1S-B1 and im getting the same problems with crysis and getting this problem in bioshock aswell. Thinking about calling them tonight and bitching at them haha. Problem I think is they havent made a new driver for there 8600m gt in a long time. Any of you guys have a problem with your network cards?

Guest Gabriel

I don't have any problems with my network card...what is happening?

Well, if you call asus asking 'bout crysis, post here what they say. ^^

But i don't think this is a 8600m driver problem, as you suggested, 'cause i'm using 169.04 (downloaded from this very site)...seems to me that this is a problem with Vista.

I got the disc emulator problem message once. It's actually not a disc emulator problem. It's just that s***ty Vista security messing around.

Just right click on the exe and click "Run as Administrator". That should do it.

Hihi i'm new here. I just bought myself an asus G1s and i have the same problem when running crysis. I tried Nfan's method and it worked for the first time and subsequent tries it could not work again. I've updated all drivers. Help anyone?? Thanks

EDIT: Hi BDron about the config.cfg file, i think you could try this: http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.p...d=14544&p=1. Seem to work for most. But i still can't try it thanks to the black screen. Argh.

EDIT: Oh my god. It seems that i cant play world in conflict too! Exactly the same as crysis. No short cut to the game. black screen at start. i tried reinstalling crysis and it still takes 6GB instead of 12GB.

Help anyone! SOS! Thanks in advance

Edited by xBeatofAngelx

Alrighty! I solved it with the help of my local game store owner. lol so this is how he helped me

"first uninstall the forceware drivers u installed.. then reboot, wait for up to 5mins making sure the OS fully loaded, no more HDD caching. skip any auto installation of VGA from vista.

then download this drivers for your lappy.

http://dlsvr05.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/F8S/VG...ta32_070831.zip

reboot and try running the games again.. please rem not to run background stuffs as most laptop always load tons of unwanted junks. go to START > RUN > MSCONFIG and untick anything you dont need at startup. "

It worked for me. And i can enjoy crysis and world in conflict now!