LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Interesting video playback problem.

Setesh

Here's my latest headache in a long laundry list of issue's i've had to fix.

I have serious video playback issues. Specifically (from what i've noticed thus far) is isses with wmv format and mov format. As far as the wmv format goes i get nada on the video end yet it will play the audio. With the mov format it will paly one frame and then freeze. Very wierd. I know it's not the files themselfs because i can play them on other machines just fine. I can also load them up in After Effects on this wretched machine and ram prievew them just fine.

I honestly have no clue what's going on or even if this is the right forum to have this question answered but I don't know where else to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

addendum: One suspicion I do have is it could possibly be the beta driver I had to use for the onboard audio... it's the NVIDIA Audio Codec Interface Beta 2 driver... I couldn't find an updated version so if somebody has the latest driver for that it may help me out. Also I can't play dvd's apparently.... as i recall i think it said something the the effect of "There is a problem with this DVD's copy protection/your dvd drive/ and your video and or audio driver please updated to the latest version."

Thanks!

Alienware Aurora m9700

Dual NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS

Foreceware 169.12

NVIDIA nForce 4 mobo

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64

This sounds like a codec problem, not a driver problem. What are you using for a player and DVD codec?

If you're using WMP, try installing ffdshow and see if it helps. You can always find the latest versions of it here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

I know there is at least one 64 bit version available.

Nope, that didn't quite work out for me.

I've tried using both WMP and Media Center but nada.... as far as the DVD codec I got no clue... whatever came loaded with vista. It does play the first few titles Like the FBI and Interpole warning but when it goes to play anything else it says NO!

I really don't get it. Like for instance: why the windows media player will not play a file written in its own native format! Honestly, I don't know what to do.

I would appreciate any other thoughts as for me I'm dumbfounded!!!

Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to try some different drivers to see what happens. If you're using one of our modded drivers, drop back to the latest Alienware driver - preferably a WHQL one - and see if that helps. If so, be happy.

Likewise, if your driver is the Alienware version, try our modded inf and see if it helps. Pieter includes some fixes for known problems, which may solve your proble. Again, if it works, be happy.

This really sounds like a codec problem to me, but let's rule out drivers first.

Here's the funny thing about Alienware they utilize 64 bit CPUs but they don't support 64 bit operating systems. In fact, I called them when I was having difficulty finding proper drivers. And their lovely support staff told me they will never support 64 at operating systems and good luck finding drivers.

So the only driver that I could find for my video cards was yours. I would agree that it could be very well a codec problem. But that still doesn't quite explain why I can open up the video files inside of Adobe Bridge and play them straight there and not be able to play them inside of QuickTime, windows media player or media center.

It wouldn't really bother me so much except for the fact that I use this notebook when I go see clients to show them the video work I've done for them. I do have the option of encoding the video in FLV format or simply showing them out of bridge.

I just don't know it's like 2 + 2 = 5

Edited by Setesh

Since you're forced to use a 32 bit OS, make sure everything else is 32 bit as well. If you've got a 64 bit driver or codec in there somewhere, it could be the problem.

Assuming you already know that, let's see if you're running into a variant of this problem:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=9211

Try the fix described there and see if there's any difference.