LaptopVideo2Go Forums

How to cool down a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi 1546

SirKhan

Hello,

It can possibly work with Amilo Pi 1556, just try yourself : modify the file Fujitsu_Siemens.xml and try to add/modify this line (after you extracted my acpi files in the ACPI folder of NHC) :

<Model name="AMILO Pi 1556" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1554" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

If it doen't work then don't use it and limit yourself to use the 1546 class.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
Owners of Amilo Xi 1554 (possibly 1546 and alienware m5790 too) can try this ACPI script for Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) in order to manually set the fan speed to the max.

It works very well on my 1554.

The script was initially designed for another newer Amilo (and not by me) but still work with this one after minor modifications. You have to modify the .xml file if you have a 1546 or whatever else than 1554.

You have 2 modes : Auto and Manual. Desactivate the Auto mode and activate the manual mode, set the speed to 3 and your lappy should begin to get much cooler !

can anyone explain how to use the ACPI script? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest
can anyone explain how to use the ACPI script? Thanks!

Yes I would like a full tutorial on how to use the ACPI script as well please.

Thanks

Guest xi1546

0. install (google) notebook hardware control

1. download the fujitsu.rar from above (thx to GabSoftware)

2. backup the 2 files before extracting and overwriting the rar content to \Notebook Hardware Control\acpi

3. if you've got a xi1554 skip to step 4

or

3. if you've got a xi1546: edit Fujitsu_Siemens.xml:

change the line

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1546" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1546" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

to

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1546" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1554" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

or

3. if you've got a xi1526: edit Fujitsu_Siemens.xml:

change the line

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1526" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1546" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

to

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1526" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1554" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

4. (re-)start NHC

5. go to the tab called "ACPI" and "Enable ACPI Control System"

6. "Show ACPI Control System details"

7. there should be a option "Manual FAN Control" and "Auto FAN Control"

from there unhook "Enable" the "Auto FAN Control", go to "Manual Fan Control" line and enable "Manual FAN Control", click "Fan Speed 1-3" enter 3 and ok for permanent maximum fan. you should get an idea from there...

Guest Guestapo

Thx for the How To.

But i got an error when running NHC on my xi1526 with the modded files : "can't find the product class 'XI1554' in the dll : [...]\Fujitsu_Siemens.dll" :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've just installed my new 8600M GT 512 to my laptop.

At the moment I have Forceware 174.31 ~ idle 58-62C ~ 3DMark06 load 68-70C

Any ideas on which driver version should I use ?

I've seen Nvidia has 185.xx on their download section.

I'll propably try the script as well to keep the fans always on (we have too hot summers here).

Edited by myron

Can you or Facey or one of the other lucky ones write me a guide on putting a 8600m GT / GS into my Xi 1546. I can't find one anywhere but I've seen a couple other people asking for it.

I've build my own desktop before, but I am just wondering how hard it is for replacing completely different video cards in a laptop. Do I need to buy anything other than a 8600M, like solder or heat pads etc? I have Artic Silver 5 and the removal liquids but that's about it.

Do I want to downgrade/upgrade my BIOS before or after I have put in the 8600m.

Is it any harder than removing the X1800 and slotting in the 8600m?

Thanks guys, help would definitely be appreciated!

I haven?t taken any pictures during the upgrade, however it was a very straight forward procedure.

However, if it makes you feel more comfortable take a look at the link bellow:

Alienware VGA removal

It's exactly the same thing during the Xi 1546 upgrade. The models are identical, so no worries.

No bios upgrade is needed for FSC 1456. (I have Bios V1.17 and it was just fine)

No solder

All you need to have before that is:

1a) Buy the mxm card ( I bought it from MXM upgrade, it was already fitted with the standard spacers and some thermal pads).

or

1b) If you are not buying from MXM Upgrade you need to buy an 8600M plus some decent thermal pads which are hard to find usually.

2) An antistatic wrist strap ... for safety

3) Download Nvidia Drivers ... just to be ready

How to do it:

You just follow the instructions of the link :)

1) Well, it?s just 9 screws to remove the bottom (which you can do even now, just to test or even replace/upgrade ram).

2) Then you have to remove the power cord which keeps the heatsink?s fan running.

3) Remove another 8 screws which hold the heatsink.

4) Unplug the heatsink and clean it from the old applied thermal paste/ thermal pads

5) Remove the final two screws which are holding the old-nasty X1800 on the mxm slot

6) Unplug the old vga card

7) Plug in the 8600M which will be smaller than the old, however it will fit just fine. All you need is re-screw the two screws from part 5

8) Apply some new thermal paste on the CPU

9) Put the new thermal pads on the GPU and its memory units. There are 6 areas for you to cover as i recall.

10) Re-screw the heatsink carefully

11) Plug the power cord of the heatsink

12) Re-screw the final 10 screws of the bottom of the casing.

Thats all.

It is a straight forward, plug and play procedure.

Edited by myron

Fantastic that is exactly what I needed.

Many thanks (from me and probably many more people!)

Damn damn damn.

I just got a 8600M GS 256mb and replaced my X1800 with your method but now when I turn on the Xi1546 it just flashes some lights, BEEPPPS and then flashes more lights and beeps again.

What does this error mean? Is this new (but used) graphics card just faulty? Or is Bios 1.5/1.7 not compatible?

Edited by Tickles77

Tickles77 you got pm.

Thanks, Myron.

I have sent back my 8600M because I think the VBios was not compatible with my Xi 1546. Wouldn't even boot.

So now I have ordered an HD3650 for 150 euros on eBay. If it works out then I will post a link to the guy I bought it from. He seems to have a lot of 8600M GT, GS and HD 3650's all at pretty good prices so if he works out, I will recommend him.

Stay tuned.

P.s Although Myron's guide is very good, for modifications of the Heatsink THIS is a very good page.

• 2 months later...
Guest Niroy

Thanks, Myron.

I have sent back my 8600M because I think the VBios was not compatible with my Xi 1546. Wouldn't even boot.

So now I have ordered an HD3650 for 150 euros on eBay. If it works out then I will post a link to the guy I bought it from. He seems to have a lot of 8600M GT, GS and HD 3650's all at pretty good prices so if he works out, I will recommend him.

Stay tuned.

P.s Although Myron's guide is very good, for modifications of the Heatsink THIS is a very good page.

And? What happened then? Why a lot of people say like "I'm going to try and post about my achievents" and dont do this? Why? Is it so difficult? Even if you failed - it would be a useful experiense for others. Damn.

• 2 months later...

I am also a frustrated Xi1546 owner in Denmark... My overheating ended up with me having one hard drive and the graphics chip changed while it was still under warranty!!! 4 months later, the problem is back...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SOleved

0. install (google) notebook hardware control

1. download the fujitsu.rar from above (thx to GabSoftware)

2. backup the 2 files before extracting and overwriting the rar content to \Notebook Hardware Control\acpi

3. if you've got a xi1554 skip to step 4

or

3. if you've got a xi1546: edit Fujitsu_Siemens.xml:

change the line

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1546" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1546" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

to

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1546" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1554" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

or

3. if you've got a xi1526: edit Fujitsu_Siemens.xml:

change the line

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1526" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1546" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

to

<Model name="AMILO Xi 1526" location="PRODUCT" class="XI1554" file="Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" />

4. (re-)start NHC

5. go to the tab called "ACPI" and "Enable ACPI Control System"

6. "Show ACPI Control System details"

7. there should be a option "Manual FAN Control" and "Auto FAN Control"

from there unhook "Enable" the "Auto FAN Control", go to "Manual Fan Control" line and enable "Manual FAN Control", click "Fan Speed 1-3" enter 3 and ok for permanent maximum fan. you should get an idea from there...

You explained it a little bit wrong!

You have to go into the "Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" find 1546 or whatever your comp is and change the line in class there aswell as in xml. I did it and for the first time since I bought the computer it is now 45 degrees idle used to be 62 degrees ;-P

• 2 weeks later...

You explained it a little bit wrong!

You have to go into the "Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" find 1546 or whatever your comp is and change the line in class there aswell as in xml. I did it and for the first time since I bought the computer it is now 45 degrees idle used to be 62 degrees ;-P

So i have to search in "Fujitsu_Siemens.cs" which model notebook iam using and then changing it in xml.

Or do i have to edit both files?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I am also (still!) usin a 1546 and i also had loads of problems in the past. Got the whole hardware renewed after 1.5 years..then it went fine for a couple of monhs but then it started going worse again.

But now i got the situation quite under control. I removed the bottom plastic under which you can find the processor, graphics card and stuff and i bough a cooling pad which i run during games. I put the laptop on the cooling pad the right way so that the fans blow onto the graphics cards as much as possible (cpu is not the problem -> unervolt!)

Yet im still tryin to make my laptop even "cooler" so i installed that ACPI script. When i changed the xml file nothing happened. You need to look what model type you got in the notebook hardware control Hardware Details.

Mine did not work bcause in the xml file there was Xi 1546 ... my laptop was an XI 1546 though.. with capital letters.

After restarting nhc and activating ACPI again, an error prompted: The Class XI1554 does not exist in the fujitsusiemens.dll or something like that... My solution : Quit NHC and delete the dll ( its also in the acpi folder). the dll will be recreated next time you start nhc and from then on, also the 1554 class will exist.

I did it right now and now i can control my fan as much as i want^^

if you need help pls contact me HERE.

Hope i could help^^

• 10 years later...

Hi! Can anyone share Notebook Hardware Control with key? Don't wanna pay for depricated software and working app is no where to  be found with activation...

• 2 months later...

So i'm answering myself. Needed to install NHC, delete its FSC profile, load profile from here and correct laptop naming in config file, for 1.15 bios it was XI 1546 and for 1.25 it is Xi 1546. After that it works.

I really love and need X1800 and don't wanna switch since its the last videocard that natively support dithering in old games, and I bought the laptop exclusively for old gaming :)

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, vorob said:

Hi! Can anyone share Notebook Hardware Control with key? Don't wanna pay for depricated software and working app is no where to  be found with activation...

Try TPB, serials.ws or PM me if you want a key.

That X1800 will run hot as hell though and quite possibly also kill itself due to the heat.

Edited by Wasmachineman_NL

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Try TPB, serials.ws or PM me if you want a key.

That X1800 will run hot as hell though and quite possibly also kill itself due to the heat.

Thx for the help, but luckily I was able to find it myself. An extremely complex tool that loses its settings from and a slight change in the system, but on the other hand it's the only tool to control cooler.
As for the laptop, I was able to find a new X1900 and now I'm happy. For big games I'm setting cooler on maximum, wish this will save the laptop from dying.