LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PhysX v8.08.01

mobilenvidia

you see, posts like this really make it frustrating to help in this board. RIGHT ABOVE YOUR POSTING I already answered your question, and I also checked the nvidia PhysX help file accessible via the control panel, there's also the answer in there! NOBODY wants to do some research on their own anymore...

seriously guys, we are in desperate need of a new pinned PhysX FAQ about installation and usage.

u already answered .i am not seen that :) i just wanna make sure of it that's it ? :)

Does 8400m gs with 128m memory support PhysX? I installed the driver but the PhysX option is still not capable. Can anyone help me?

thanks. I thought there would be some ways to support these cards because PhysX seemed to have nothing to do with the ram....

The GPU RAM is used to store the data for the PhysX calculations. While 128MB would be just fine if all the GPU was doing was PhysX, with the extra load of rendering graphics it needs more.

Guest Guest9969

I have an 8600m gs 256mb, drivers loaded with modded inf and have had no problems! PhysX reports that it's enabled. Also, I'm getting 7700 3dmark 2003, 4700 3dmark 2005. I don't wanna know what I'm gonna get in 2006:lookaround: Gaming in COD4 is really spot on, and I'm going to get a demo of Graw2 to test PhysX. I'd like to know if anyone else who has this chip has tried Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Bioshock. I've tried Bioshock out myself, and it gets quite slow. There aren't any demos of Gears or Mass yet, so whoever can help with that thanx!

Are you using Windows XP or Vista? If you use XP, do you have a problem where PhysX quits working if you run a game using it more than 2 or 3 times?

Are you using Windows XP or Vista? If you use XP, do you have a problem where PhysX quits working if you run a game using it more than 2 or 3 times?

I'm running Vista Home Prem 32bit. Here are my specs:

HP Pavilion dv9535nr Entertainment Notebook PC 17"

Intel Core2 Duo 5250 1.5ghz "merom"

Intel GM965 "crestline" (does this mean I have the x3100 in there as well?)

2x 1gb DDR2-667

2x 120gb Fujitsu Sata-150 5400rpm 8mb cache

GeForce 8600m GS 256mb DDR2

Ok, so I will test it. Two more questions... this CUDA drivers are some special drivers or I just have to enable some option in nVidia control panel? And the last question... I don't want to ask "what is the best driver" because I know that many people does ask this quesion and it makes everyone angry but I was working for all the time on XP and I will appriciate if someone with simillar card will tell me what drivers number is the most popular or the most powerfull for Vista SP1 because today I'm gonna switch to this OS... just a proposition so I will know what to start with :)

THX

dont belive all the bad press Vista gets, I have it on my laptop and its fine! stable fast and of couorse pretty :)

Most newish games will run faster under vista if you have 4gb of ram as per benchmarks i have seen.

I have Vista ultimate sp1 32bit

about general PhysX questions: it would be a really good start to actually read some of the already available information in this forum (read: the pinned threads) before asking the same stuff over and over again...

about Vista vs. XP: my XPS M1530 came with Vista Ultimate 32bit. I hated it. Installed SP1. still hated it. switched to Vista Ultimate 64bit with SP1 because of my 4gig of RAM and some reviews stating that the codebase of 64bit Vista was better. still hated it. with Vista, you get some eye candy, completely useless s*** like the new networking configuration, and a hell of an excess in memory and CPU usage.

i'm back now to good old XP pro with SP3 integrated and some slight tuning, running fast as hell and my battery runtime improved by about 30mins. because of the driver support I used 32bit XP as I was tired of searching for working 64bit drivers and the usual notebook-specific shenanigans like proprietary control panels and s*** like that.

sure, lot of people will say "hey Vista is great, it performs well on my machine" etc etc but that's exactly the same some people said way back in the times of Wiondows Millennium Edition. :)

either way, I personally wouldn't recommend switching from XP to Vista without specific and stringent reasons.

Wow thats a great way to engineer an argument :)

Vista is nothing like millenium edition you know with it making ti to its first service pack and being based on nt rather than ms-dos ..... or maybe you didnt lol

As far as the netowrking system goes its actualy quite a big improvement over xp as vista can easily determine if you are getting a full connection rather than a point to point connection, effectivly it can tell the difference between being simply assigned an ip via dhcp (or nat i guess) and actualy connected to the internet, xp on the other hand frequently does not.

The high memory usage is caused by superfetch which is a service btw so if you dont like it you can turn it off!

When I used Vista, my experience with the networking system was total crap. It never properly detected which location I was at, and it never wanted to connect to the network at a school where I volunteer because it insisted on using IPv6 even when the network was IPv4. XP x64 handles that just fine.

Guest Hannes The Hun
Wow thats a great way to engineer an argument :)

Vista is nothing like millenium edition you know with it making ti to its first service pack and being based on nt rather than ms-dos ..... or maybe you didnt lol

no s***, sherlock...

my comparison with windows ME was simply based on the equally poor reception Vista has with the home user base as well as with corporate systems. I don't need to proof or even "engineer" this argument as there are lots and lots of objective, non-biased articles by respected IT-pros and magazines alike readily available on the web, together with my own experience in desperately trying to get various versions of Vista running the way I see fit for my needs. I'm using Windows since the old glory days of MS-DOS with win3.11, and the only versions I never came to like were ME and now Vista. but if Vista works for YOU, great, that neither proves nor disproves my argumentation, you just maybe need to become a little more objective...

but again, this is a thread about a specific PhysX driver version, not a fanboy discussion XP vs. Vista

I am neither an XP fanboy nor a Vista fanboy, I am simply stating my experiences with the OS, and trying to educate others on Vista's pitfalls so they will not downgrade.