LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer VBios for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

ZeroXtreme

Hi all,

I have an ACER ASPIRE 7520G and I recently bought an ATI 3650 radeon mobility card to upgrade the standard Nvidia 8400m Geforce.

The problem I have is that I can get no picture in 3D mode.

The card is proparly installed, does not get too hot (in fact the laptop runs cooler now as was the case with the 8400m).

I was able to install modded catalist drivers (8.10) and they allow me to get desktop and video image in both XP and Vista.

So, I play movies, browse the net, use standard 2D programs. But the moment I try to run anything that requieres 3D it's all problems. Before the game or 3D application (like 3D benchmark) starts up, the screen eiter locks up, or it gets some of these strange green colored tearings, or it turns black (also after getting those green colored tearings) and then there is sound (world of warcraft for example) but no image.

What also happens when i close the laptops cover and the lcd screens turns off, is that I get a completely frozen screen with a striped colered background). When I open the screen again (and am looking at the strangely colored and frozen screen) and press CTRL ALT DEL, I get the welcome screen perfectly displayed and then I can switch back to my desktop screen. This effect sometimes (not always) happens when I open something in my browser (like a link) or start up a video via Windows movie player.

I've tried installing a number of different driver versions (modded ones), omega drivers (they don't recognize the card and I think that's because their catalyst driver version is from pre 3650 period and as such it has no support for this card yet) and drivers from other Acer laptops that have this ATI card build in. But none gave me a solution.

What is strange though is that I've succeeded ONCE in getting world of warcraft to display (with the modded 8.10 catalyst driver). It started up withouth the green colored tearings but the perfomance in the game was the same as with my geforce 8400m G (frame rates ranging from 11 to 30 fps). I find that odd because this 3650 card should be quite a bit faster and give me an average fps of around 30-45-60.

I've bought this card via ebay from the same seller (osstore) as mentionend in this topic. It's virtually the same card as given in the examples here.

Can anyone please help me here cose I'm really stuck and the seller has told me that I should switch my bios (video or motherboard??) from Nvidia to ATI. He told me that I should get it at Acer but I've called them (and searched their sites: european and pan american) for days but didn't find a single bit of info on it. On the phone they informed me that there are no bios's available for the video cards.

If you need any further info please post or mail me at dirk500@hotmail.com and I'll supply you with it.

Thanks very much for any help to get this card working.

Kind regards,

Magneto7777

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZeroXtreme

• Kayldera

• nassevis

• Magneto7777

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi to everybody,

I have an alienware m5700, can i install an ati 3650???.

why there are two versions of these cards, a red o and a green pcb? do they perhaps differ for version bios?

someone that has the my same notebbok or fujitsu siemsns 1437/1439/3438G has just tried an upgrade?

Thanks

Hi all,

I have an ACER ASPIRE 7520G and I recently bought an ATI 3650 radeon mobility card to upgrade the standard Nvidia 8400m Geforce.

The problem I have is that I can get no picture in 3D mode.

The card is proparly installed, does not get too hot (in fact the laptop runs cooler now as was the case with the 8400m).

I was able to install modded catalist drivers (8.10) and they allow me to get desktop and video image in both XP and Vista.

So, I play movies, browse the net, use standard 2D programs. But the moment I try to run anything that requieres 3D it's all problems. Before the game or 3D application (like 3D benchmark) starts up, the screen eiter locks up, or it gets some of these strange green colored tearings, or it turns black (also after getting those green colored tearings) and then there is sound (world of warcraft for example) but no image.

What also happens when i close the laptops cover and the lcd screens turns off, is that I get a completely frozen screen with a striped colered background). When I open the screen again (and am looking at the strangely colored and frozen screen) and press CTRL ALT DEL, I get the welcome screen perfectly displayed and then I can switch back to my desktop screen. This effect sometimes (not always) happens when I open something in my browser (like a link) or start up a video via Windows movie player.

I've tried installing a number of different driver versions (modded ones), omega drivers (they don't recognize the card and I think that's because their catalyst driver version is from pre 3650 period and as such it has no support for this card yet) and drivers from other Acer laptops that have this ATI card build in. But none gave me a solution.

What is strange though is that I've succeeded ONCE in getting world of warcraft to display (with the modded 8.10 catalyst driver). It started up withouth the green colored tearings but the perfomance in the game was the same as with my geforce 8400m G (frame rates ranging from 11 to 30 fps). I find that odd because this 3650 card should be quite a bit faster and give me an average fps of around 30-45-60.

I've bought this card via ebay from the same seller (osstore) as mentionend in this topic. It's virtually the same card as given in the examples here.

Can anyone please help me here cose I'm really stuck and the seller has told me that I should switch my bios (video or motherboard??) from Nvidia to ATI. He told me that I should get it at Acer but I've called them (and searched their sites: european and pan american) for days but didn't find a single bit of info on it. On the phone they informed me that there are no bios's available for the video cards.

If you need any further info please post or mail me at dirk500@hotmail.com and I'll supply you with it.

Thanks very much for any help to get this card working.

Kind regards,

Magneto7777

I got my card from him too, the vbios is kinda skewed... Create a bootable flash drive and copy the content of the archive at the root of the flash drive and boot from it.

Then type:

atiflash.exe -f -p 0 bios.rom -scansii

It fixed the problem on mine. I made a OCed (3d mode: 700/800) vbios that I can upload too if anyone is interested.

hd3650.rar

Edited by Kayldera

I got my card from him too, the vbios is kinda skewed... Create a bootable flash drive and copy the content of the archive at the root of the flash drive and boot from it.

Then type:

It fixed the problem on mine. I made a OCed (3d mode: 700/800) vbios that I can upload too if anyone is interested.

Ok Kayldera, many thanks for this quick responce. I'm going to try it now and let you know how it went. Hopefully nothing goes wrong and I'm still able to get my lap booted up :-)

Then type:

Ok Kayldera, It worked like a charm! Card is now displaying 3D without a problem and in WoW I get very decent framerates with everything maxed out (res at 1400*900). Heat output is still lower than with the stock 8400m G (that gave far worse performance).

Just a question about the Vbios number beeing displayed when the system is booting. It's a garbled number (A letter 'v', then a couple of spaces and then a sort of upside down triangle and an arrow pointing to the right). Is this just a cosmetic thing or does it mean something more important is going on? I've had this number displayed like that (garbled) with the previous bios and also after the succesful flash.

With my old 8400m G the number was properly displayed.

Thx for the info and 1000* BIG THANK YOU for getting me this sort of speedy and to the point help!

You also wrote that you have and oc'd version of the bios for upload. I would like to try in out sometime after I've tested the performance of the current settings in some other 3D games (like c&c3, doom3, War3 and some benchmarkers).

Many thanks again to you and this forum:-D

Magneto7777

Ok Kayldera, It worked like a charm! Card is now displaying 3D without a problem and in WoW I get very decent framerates with everything maxed out (res at 1400*900). Heat output is still lower than with the stock 8400m G (that gave far worse performance).

Just a question about the Vbios number beeing displayed when the system is booting. It's a garbled number (A letter 'v', then a couple of spaces and then a sort of upside down triangle and an arrow pointing to the right). Is this just a cosmetic thing or does it mean something more important is going on? I've had this number displayed like that (garbled) with the previous bios and also after the succesful flash.

With my old 8400m G the number was properly displayed.

Thx for the info and 1000* BIG THANK YOU for getting me this sort of speedy and to the point help!

You also wrote that you have and oc'd version of the bios for upload. I would like to try in out sometime after I've tested the performance of the current settings in some other 3D games (like c&c3, doom3, War3 and some benchmarkers).

Many thanks again to you and this forum:-D

Magneto7777

You're welcome. If you really want to try the oveclocked vbios get amd gpu clock tool and test how your card behave at 700core/800mem speed and check your temps too. If you like what you see, you shouldn't have any problem with using the modded vbios :) .

custom.rar

Then type:

the vbios works perfect on my acer aspire 5720.

always use the .bin when making a new bios.

Hi guys,

Could those who have successfully replaced their video cards with the HD3650 please post images of your GPU-Z results.

The program can be downloaded from here:

GPU-Z Download

I just want to see the variance between the different models if ever you guys got different ones.

Thanks.

i had to underclock and undervolt the core because my fan is not working properly.

post-31629-1226441291_thumb.jpg

Then type:

Ok, I finally got my HD3650 today, hehe funny it took me that long and you guys actually got it ahead of me.

Anyway, same problem, clocks were skewed and it wouldnt run winsat properly or any 3d apps, so i flashed with the BIOS you posted, now there is a new HD Audio Device, and there are artifacts on my screen even upon boot up, also it still will not run 3D apps, any ideas?

@zeroxtreme

The new audiodevice you're seeing is actually an High Definition Audio Device attached to your ATI graphics card. It supposedly functions (relays sound i suppose?) when you attach an HDTV device (like a HD television) to the (if you have one) HDMI output of your laptop.

There is a driver for this apparatus available at (copy and paste the following link in your browser's address bar): http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downlo...p;GetDown=false

You'll be forwarded to a page on the Realtek homepage. It's possible that you must first mark the 'I accept to the above' notification and then click the 'next' button. The screen refreshes and the 'next' button will appear again, so click it once more.

Now you'll be given the page with the actual downloads. Here look for the (in red writing) file named 'ATI HDMI Audio Device' and download it.

After downloading install it and restart the pc.

Have fun ;-)

Magneto7777

PS: I would have uploaded the file in this post but I have no clue as how to add it (anyone care to explain it to me :-)

@zeroxtreme

The new audiodevice you're seeing is actually an High Definition Audio Device attached to your ATI graphics card. It supposedly functions (relays sound i suppose?) when you attach an HDTV device (like a HD television) to the (if you have one) HDMI output of your laptop.

There is a driver for this apparatus available at (copy and paste the following link in your browser's address bar): http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downlo...p;GetDown=false

You'll be forwarded to a page on the Realtek homepage. It's possible that you must first mark the 'I accept to the above' notification and then click the 'next' button. The screen refreshes and the 'next' button will appear again, so click it once more.

Now you'll be given the page with the actual downloads. Here look for the (in red writing) file named 'ATI HDMI Audio Device' and download it.

After downloading install it and restart the pc.

Have fun ;-)

Magneto7777

PS: I would have uploaded the file in this post but I have no clue as how to add it (anyone care to explain it to me :-)

So thats what that ATI HDMI Driver is for, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

Ok, anyone experience this on their Acer Aspire 4520G when an ATI HD3650 256MB/DDR3 is installed:

Upon first installation, problems are exactly like that of Magneto7777 posted above, but he apparently was able to fix it by flashing the Acer VBIOS posted by Kayldera.

Unfortunately this did not fix my problem, but made it worse, with the Acer VBIOS my 4520G now has artifacts popping in and out all over the screen even upon boot-up. The same thing still happens when running 3D applications, Like Magneto7777's initial problem.

I dont think its heating up, I mean its within acceptable levels, could it be lack of power supplied to the card by the laptop upon heavy 3D requirements?

I have been playing around with the BIOS using RBE, trying to compare the differences between the VBIOSes posted here. I have tried lowering the voltages and setting the core/mem clock speeds lower too, but still unsuccessful. Sometimes the display would blackout after a flash, so i would blind-flash the original BIOS back, and I'm right back at square one.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit and I have tried the Acer WHQL drivers, also the latest 8.10 Catalyst modded with Mobility.Modder.NET, still the same results.

So I figured it could be that I got a bum video card, or my laptop is not supplying the card with enough power. I noticed that the HD3650s are usually on either 15.4" and above laptops, and mostly with Intel chipsets and Intel CPUs, another thing I just thought of, could it be caused by incompatibilities with the hardware?

This is getting very frustrating, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by ZeroXtreme

Ok, anyone experience this on their Acer Aspire 4520G when an ATI HD3650 256MB/DDR3 is installed:

Upon first installation, problems are exactly like that of Magneto7777 posted above, but he apparently was able to fix it by flashing the Acer VBIOS posted by Kayldera.

Unfortunately this did not fix my problem, but made it worse, with the Acer VBIOS my 4520G now has artifacts popping in and out all over the screen even upon boot-up. The same thing still happens when running 3D applications, Like Magneto7777's initial problem.

I dont think its heating up, I mean its within acceptable levels, could it be lack of power supplied to the card by the laptop upon heavy 3D requirements?

I have been playing around with the BIOS using RBE, trying to compare the differences between the VBIOSes posted here. I have tried lowering the voltages and setting the core/mem clock speeds lower too, but still unsuccessful. Sometimes the display would blackout after a flash, so i would blind-flash the original BIOS back, and I'm right back at square one.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit and I have tried the Acer WHQL drivers, also the latest 8.10 Catalyst modded with Mobility.Modder.NET, still the same results.

So I figured it could be that I got a bum video card, or my laptop is not supplying the card with enough power. I noticed that the HD3650s are usually on either 15.4" and above laptops, and mostly with Intel chipsets and Intel CPUs, another thing I just thought of, could it be caused by incompatibilities with the hardware?

Don't know if this is any help, but you mention an 'Acer' bios. As far as I could tell the bios (the non-OC'd one) that Kayldera uploaded here and which I've used, is a standard ATI one with a subvendor id of ATI (not Acer) (which ones did you use?) The Device ID after flashing it on my card is 1002 - 9591 and the subvendor is ATI (1002).

What I do see is that my clocks aren't the same as in the GPU-Z 0.2.8 pics posted here earlier. Mine are as shown in the attached pic (hopefully I'ts uploaded correctly) and written below:

GPU Clock: 297 Memory: 346

Default: 500 Memory: 700

Subsequently it gives me lower pixel and texture fillrates too, respectively 1.2 GTex/sec for both categories.

My buswidth is 128 bit but my bandwith stays at 11.1 Gb/sec.

I don't know if this is normal or so (because on the pics posted earlier these values are almost double as high. Did they use the OC'd bios? Any comments?) but you could check this on your card too to see if it differs alot.

What does worry me is that you get crashes when flashing the card. When flashing your card is not under 3D strain and nothing, besides a rudimentary dos environment is loaded. That could indicate that there is technically something wrong, either with the card itself, or something went a bit awry during the fysical installation.

If not already done so, I'd strongly suggest your do the following again. Take out the new card and replace your old one (wich one was it that you had factory installed btw?). Test your laptop again with the old card to see if it works properly. If it does, repeat the replacement proces and make shure that your GPU is firmly connected to its heatsink. Do not apply only coolingpaste to it because that will not be enough to fill the gap between the GPU and the copper of the heatsink/pipe combination. You need to attach a sort of cooling pad (thickness is about 2-3mm) and there is no need for seperate cooling paste. What I also did with my laptop was to re-apply cooling paste for the cpu (arctic silver) and made shure it was smeared out thin but fully covering it's surface (use an old creditcard for that ;-). The heatsink/pipe combo of the cpu did attached much closer to the cpu's surface and as such cooling paste smeared out thinly was sufficient.

I don't know if this is the reason but it's something that's overlook often, but very important nontheless.

Where did you buy this card btw? Is it possible to have it replaced in case it would turn out to be defective?

Give some feedback about this when you're done trying it out.

post-32193-1226654945_thumb.jpg

Guest magneto7777

Then type:

Ok sorry for the two pointless 'quotes' on my part. Accidentily clicked on the wrong button two times in a row...

@ Kayldera: I have a question about the OC'd bios for the ATI 3650 card. I've downloaded and flashed it but my card still gives the same readings in GPU-Z (latest version). Do you have any idea as to why this is? Perhaps you have another bios version?

Thx for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Then type:

Hi. Can you tell me what drivers did you use? How did you overclock it? I have green pcb with 256mb of ram. Tried different progs. Can not overclock.

Hi. Can you tell me what drivers did you use? How did you overclock it? I have green pcb with 256mb of ram. Tried different progs. Can not overclock.

Sorted out myself. Was confused with clocks. It is easily overclocks to 700 core and 800 memory giving me 9788 3dmarks in 3dmark05. It beats 7950gtx.

Hi all. I readed al your posts and i see some of you have good knowledge in mobile GPU and I want to know if its possible to cheange my GPU also. I have an Acer AS5530G-704G32Mi(AMD Turion 64 X2,RM-70;4Gb Ram;320GB hdd; ATIMobilityRadeon HD 3470 Hybrid X2 - http://ati.amd.com/technology/hybridgraphi...echnology.html). I saw in earlier posts that some of you changed their default gpu with an ati HD 3650 but on other configurations so please if you know or think i could replace my 3470 with a 3650 gpu let me know.

100 Thx for this Thread!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am interested in upgrading my 5520g (Vista32) with a HD3650.

Do you know where I can get an Acer Bios from?

Would someone of you tell me how to flash? Do I need a flash drive? Can I use an USB-Stick or an external Harddrive for that?

Thank you for your help.

Greetings from germany

Ron