LaptopVideo2Go Forums

overclocking my CPU

Pistino01

hey... i was wondering if my CPU was sufficient for crysis ... can anyone please tell me IF and HOW i should overclock it ??

Thx , Pistino01

yes both your CPU and GPU are fine for crysis. Wont be max settings... but should get 'good' performance. Try max resulution and medium settings, except terrain detail on high.

The main things that bogs crysis down are the sharders of dust etc. so turn those off. but its also the part that makes the game look so nice. blending in details etc...

im getting about 20 FPS in crysis resolution 1024x640 all very high in DX10 and about 27 FPS in 1360x768 or something like that , forced very high , dx9

will the CPU overclocking help ? or possibly GPU too ?

Thx , Pistino01

I think you should only try to overclock the GPU with the tool "Riva Tuner". It's free and easy too use.

I don't think, that your CPU slows Crysis down so much. My T7500 (2,2GHz) is strong enough to play Crysis on "High" without any problems (27-35 FPS). Only my GPUs are too slow.

And it's very difficult to overclock the CPU. I didn't managed to overcolck my CPU yet.

P. S.:I'm sorry for my bad english, but i come from Germany and i don't speak english very well.

but in my vista system rating i get only 5.3 on my CPU . zhats the lowest score so i just thought i should overclock it ... but if u say no then no .

also if i were to overclock my GPU how would it effect my temps ??

P.S.: np , man im form slovakia , so my english isnt very good either . ;D

Thx , Pistino01

Indeed, CPU overclocking wouldn't really give you that much performance. GPU overclocking on the contrary is worth a try.

also if i were to overclock my GPU how would it effect my temps ??

Overclocking usually raises GPU's temperature for only several degrees.

so what should i overclock ?? my stock clocks are 575/1450/800

im running 179.13 drivers

also wont this void my currency ? or something ??

Edited by Pistino01

Try 600/1600/850, benchmark with 3dmark06 or your favourite game for some minutes. If there is no blue screen/error/shutdown/graphic artifact, then you can go another 20-30 MHz higher and benchmark again, etc., etc. You just need to make sure if it's stable and control temperatures so they don't go over 90 celsius or so. If you make sure everything is ok then you can turn on the option called "Apply overclocking on Windows startup".

If your GPU gets burnt and your warranty provider (or whatever you call it in English) sees that your card was overclocked then you lose your warranty. But don't worry, GPU can burn only after extreme overclocking.

3dmark does not stress the GPU, but gives an indication of what your card can do. You wont be able to overclock as high in games as you did with 3D mark.

750/ 900 should be ok with the 8700 GT. Its what i can do when running one card.

: as already stated, overclocking CPU does not do much at all. It only really effects SLi gaming, as SLi often needs a lot of processing power on top of gaming processing.

so when i try to overclock my GPU "performance 3D" i it shows clocks 600/1200/450 max this must be wrong because everest shows my clocks are 575/1450/800 so i cant overclock my GPU . any ideas ??

im useing 179.13 driver .

i tried to use ntune and it didnt even install properly ... now i cant use it or uninstall it . this overclocking thingy has caused more problems tha it should have rosolved . but considering i did it first time in my life , no surprise . so any ideas on how should i uninstall it ??? please ...

Thx , Pistino01

• 2 weeks later...

The fastest and best looking Crysis config I've found is using:

Firstly set everything to LOW.

Set the following to as high as it allows: Water, Particles, Textures, and Game Effects.

If that runs fine then see how it handles on highest: Volumetric clouds and shading.

Everything else doesn't seem to make any major difference in picture quality but DOES slow the game down, so setting everything to medium will go slower than using a few key things on very high, or high.

so when i try to overclock my GPU "performance 3D" i it shows clocks 600/1200/450 max this must be wrong because everest shows my clocks are 575/1450/800 so i cant overclock my GPU . any ideas ??

im useing 179.13 driver .

Did you try latest driver? I think 180.70 is the best for Crysis at this time, i have 5 ~ 10 FPS increase.

Did you try latest driver? I think 180.70 is the best for Crysis at this time, i have 5 ~ 10 FPS increase.

From my benchmarks 180.84 is the best Crysis driver :)

so what should i overclock ?? my stock clocks are 575/1450/800

im running 179.13 drivers

also wont this void my currency ? or something ??

Are you talking about the current economic crisis. That certainly will void a few currencies :)

Overclocking 'is supposed to' void your warranty but if you do it correctly, then there isn't anything to worry about.

From my benchmarks 180.84 is the best Crysis driver :)

did you alredy bench dox 180.84? for Crysis what is the best?

• 2 weeks later...
did you alredy bench dox 180.84? for Crysis what is the best?

I'd say Dox 180.84. But it depends if you want good performance, or smoother gameplay. :)

Edited by Shaythong