LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Does anyone make 9600m gt work on acer 5920g?

Guest gavc1220

Guest gavc1220

I have read many posts about 9600m gt, but I never see posts about successfully installing the 9600m gt on an acer 5920g machine. Is it possible to make 9600m gt 512mb DDR3 work on acer 5920g? If it is possible to do that, how can I successfully make it work?

I recently got a 9600m gt card. I intalled it, start my 5920g, but I only got black screen. The machine seemed not to work. Do I need an acer 9600m gt vbios?

Does anyone can post the vbios?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f3bandit

• Jasperbones

• triturbo

• reiluke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Installed it? how did you manage to solve the heat plate thing? Basically, the 8600m gt doesn't have the plate, so how did you mod your 5920g to fit the 9600m gt? Anyway, blank screen yes? any other symptoms? or just blank screen? try pressing the caps button to see if the caps LED would light up.

Guest photonboy

If your screen is black and you can't even enter your BIOS then it should be one of the following:

a ) Motherboard BIOS

b ) Video card BIOS

c ) incompatible

d ) screen is damaged

e ) improperly installed

f ) card is defective

I assume you found some site or comment indicating that this card was compatible. I strongly encourage you to contact ACER, however they may tell you not to do it even if it is technically feasible. So:

a ) Motherboard BIOS - very unlikely, however if all else fails update your MB BIOS (if needed) with your old card installed.

b ) Video card BIOS - unlikely, video cards do not ship without a BIOS. Plus, how would you even FLASH it?

c ) incompatible - possibly. The only 2 reasons I can think of is an overheating issue or the BIOS won't recognize the card.

d ) screen is damaged - easily checked. either replace your original card or use an external monitor

e ) improperly installed - possibly. If so, it's an incorrect connection or an overheating issue

f ) card is defective - very possibly. Unless you have a compatible notebook to test it in which is unlikely I don't know what to say. Maybe you can get a refund? It would probably cost way more money than it's work to take it to a computer shop.

I'm not an expert on video cards in laptops. Unlike desktops, it's possible that laptop manufacturers discourage using other video cards by the way the BIOS is coded. A 9600M GT on initial boot is nowhere near the maximum power consumption of an 8600M GT so overheating would only be an issue if thermal paste was needed and not used.

Summary:

In this order:

1) check connections

2) check to see if thermal paste is required. If so, apply (read how to do correctly).

3) check screen

4) reinsert original card

5) contact ACER

6) refund and forget the whole thing?

You may even wish to contact ACER right off the bat. I don't normally do this, but I'm intrigued to see how things go so if you have any questions about this or any hardware or software for your laptop you can contact me at: jdbyers@sympatico.ca (please don't share this).

You may be interested to see the benchmarks for your 2 video cards.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphi...List.844.0.html (38 and 54)

Keep in mind that the results will vary depending on your CPU, Operating System and RAM. The older 3DMark2001 for example scored 33,000 in XP on my desktop vs 24,000 in Vista x32_86 on the exact same machine. If you reinstall your original card I encourage you to run as many of the benchmarks as you can then compare the results if you get the new card running. Keep the results written down for comparison in the future if you update your drivers or feel things are sluggish.

If you can't get things working, I strongly suggest getting a refund and building a desktop PC for gaming or maybe get a PS3. I'm quite an expert on how games perform and I can even recommend games that work pretty well on your old card. Despite being a new game, the not-yet released Starcraft 2 will likely have a very scalable engine and be playable on your system.

I'm not a believer in adding an unsupported graphics card to a notebook unless you are absolutely certain of thermal compatibility. Another issue is drivers for notebooks which can be tricky (another reason to compare before and after benchmarks). I can discuss that more if need be.

Cheers.

Jeffrey

I think my 5920g is just not compatible with the 9600m gt card (modle number:G96-600-C1). Because I can't even get into the bios setting, much less flash the card with the acer 9600m gt vbios.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I have ordered a Original Acer 9600m GT GDDR3 512MB Board from the Acer Spareparts Supplier here in Germany.

It costs ~200? it's the MXM-II Board out of the Aspire 6935G and 8930G Notebook.

I will report more as soon as it is delivered.

Greetings

Hey ho,

i've recievedthe delivery date for my 9600m GT...

i should arrive here in the first week 2009.

i will report more

greetz

Hello guys,

I have ordered a Original Acer 9600m GT GDDR3 512MB Board from the Acer Spareparts Supplier here in Germany.

It costs ~200? it's the MXM-II Board out of the Aspire 6935G and 8930G Notebook.

I will report more as soon as it is delivered.

Greetings

Can you post the website for the acer spare parts in germany? Here in UK they don't provide any of these cards.

I'm sorry to say, but i think it's not going to work. I have bought a 9600m GT with a acer bios, and it doenst work in de 5920G. I think the Acer 5920G bios has no support for the 9600m GT

I'm sorry to say, but i think it's not going to work. I have bought a 9600m GT with a acer bios, and it doenst work in de 5920G. I think the Acer 5920G bios has no support for the 9600m GT

do you "think" or do you "know"

i don't think that is as to do with the Bios,... why does the HD3650 Work in the 5920 ? there never has been an 5920 with HD3650 :)

i've orderd my 9600m GT here at www.mk-electronic.de.

i wrote an E-Mail to Acer Support.

I ask for an Video Upgrade for my Acer 5920G and that i am looking for a 9600m GT.

They gave me the link to thier spareparts supplier.

@nklive

maybe you should wait until i got my 9600m GT working?

if you like to you can add my ICQ or MSN Messenger ID.

but here is the link

www.mk-electronic.de

Greetings

That's great Jasperbones. :)

Thanks for the info m8. I am going to wait until you do it. It should work, after all that's why we bought a laptop with MXM II so that we can upgrade it in the future. I hope you are successful.

I've just got one with the same results. the bios doesn't seem to go after post i can use the caps lock (and get the led to light) but it doesn't seem to go on in the startup process and no screen at all. interestingly the chip seems to get hot pretty fast and one time the external monitor got signal when i was powering off the machine (obviously lost immediately as i was using the power button).

I hope you will be able to find out a way to get this to work :)

Edited by weltall

do you "think" or do you "know"

i don't think that is as to do with the Bios,... why does the HD3650 Work in the 5920 ? there never has been an 5920 with HD3650 :)

i've orderd my 9600m GT here at www.mk-electronic.de.

i wrote an E-Mail to Acer Support.

I ask for an Video Upgrade for my Acer 5920G and that i am looking for a 9600m GT.

They gave me the link to thier spareparts supplier.

@nklive

maybe you should wait until i got my 9600m GT working?

if you like to you can add my ICQ or MSN Messenger ID.

but here is the link

www.mk-electronic.de

Greetings

Actually there was an acer 5920G with a 3650HD, according to various websites: https://www.czechcomputer.cz/product.jsp?artno=56908. So I don't think the 9600m GT is going to work, but please report to this forum if it does, that will be very cool.

I've just got one with the same results. the bios doesn't seem to go after post i can use the caps lock (and get the led to light) but it doesn't seem to go on in the startup process and no screen at all. interestingly the chip seems to get hot pretty fast and one time the external monitor got signal when i was powering off the machine (obviously lost immediately as i was using the power button).

I hope you will be able to find out a way to get this to work :)

dude does it restart? create a bootable usb and autoexec script that writes to a file to test, maybe you can blind flash it, acer laptop needs mxm cards with acer bios, this is tested by the chinese

dude does it restart? create a bootable usb and autoexec script that writes to a file to test, maybe you can blind flash it, acer laptop needs mxm cards with acer bios, this is tested by the chinese

yes with the original card it does restart before making all those things i've tried changing the boot order (why +/- doesn't work in the bios) and launching a bootable usb key i had. the led of it never blinked

Edited by weltall

yes with the original card it does restart before making all those things i've tried changing the boot order (why +/- doesn't work in the bios) and launching a bootable usb key i had. the led of it never blinked

you must use F5 or F6 to change settings in bios... not + -

if yout usb is not boot capable use a cd-rw or a usb floppy :)

My 9600M GT has an acer bios according to the seller, and it does exactly the same, no boot at all.

If i put my original (broken 9500M GS) card in I don't get screen but the laptop does boot (and no the screen is not broken, cause i tried an 8600M GT, and with that card it does work).

So I think in one or another way the 9600M GT just isn't compatible with the 5920G. Maybe it doesn't get enough power or something? I don't know.

Normally 9600 consumes less power than 8600 o0...

however,... 14 days time for me to send the card back or sell it on ebay XD

Yeah, I'm counting on that too. I love to upgrade and tweak my desktop PC, so I want to do the same with my lappy. Considering all the difficulties and other stuff, it's better to get a new, more powerful, lap but as I said, I love to tweak my stuffs :)

Yeah, I'm counting on that too. I love to upgrade and tweak my desktop PC, so I want to do the same with my lappy. Considering all the difficulties and other stuff, it's better to get a new, more powerful, lap but as I said, I love to tweak my stuffs :)

yesssssssssssss ^^

it's the will do get things working :)

• 2 weeks later...

~ 2 Weeks to go... can't wait... (just want to push this thread)

But watch this =) =>

post-14692-1230445927_thumb.jpg

Expect to double that result with the new card :P ...if it run :) :) :P When you are expecting to arrive the new card, beginning of the January?

VG.9PG06.006 ACER VGA BOARD 512MB GDDR3 NB9P-GS

1,00 STCK

164,66?

Liefertermin ca.KW 1 2009

In english:

1 pcs.

Deliverydate 1st week in 2009

i think it will be here between Wednesday and Saturday next week...

waiting sucks =)

BTW.. if this upgrade will work... i will upgrade the CPU ^^ ~ 2,4Ghz

Edited by Jasperbones

Me too :) If you wasn't here, I would have T9500 and HD3650 installed already, but I'm waiting to see, if I can replace the 3650 with 9600 in my wish list :)

Edited by triturbo