LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Does anyone make 9600m gt work on acer 5920g?

Guest gavc1220

T9500 (2,6Ghz, 6MB L2 FSB200).. kind a expensive isn't it ?

i think the T9300 (2,5Ghz, 6MB L2 FSB200) is ~ 33% cheaper and has only 100Mhz (2,5Ghz, 6MB L2 FSB200) less... my favourite... :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f3bandit

• Jasperbones

• triturbo

• reiluke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, is not THAT expensive: T9300 vs T9500 :) Or you'll buy it from more reliable source :)

Edited by triturbo

Damnit...

i missed the UPS man 3x times -.- my card is back to the retailer -.- must phone tomorrow -.-

Hi all,

I have an Aspire 5920G and i'm interested in the matter of this thread.

I've read on several forum that many people tried to upgrade their 5920G from the 8600m GT to the 9600m GT unsuccessfully, because, probably, also the latest bios of our motherboard doesn't support this video card.

Now, I ask you a question: since the Aspire 5930G is almost the same of the Aspire 5920G, might we use its bios on our laptop?

I noticed that the most important differences between the 2 laptops are limited to: the kind of processors (but i changed successfully my old T7300 with a quickier T9300 without any bad consequence, though i kept the same bios !!!) the Express Chipset Mobile Intel (but we have a dedicated video card so we should not mind it!!!!... i guess..), the Intel Wireless WiFi and the video card.

What's your opinion?

@ Jasperones

I've read that the code name of the 9600m video cards is NB9P, but are you sure that the video card you ordered is a GT and not a GS version?

Why is "GS" in the code name of your video card?

Edited by DanDam

Hi all,

I have an Aspire 5920G and i'm interested in the matter of this thread.

I've read on several forum that many people tried to upgrade their 5920G from the 8600m GT to the 9600m GT unsuccessfully, because, probably, also the latest bios of our motherboard doesn't support this video card.

Now, I ask you a question: since the Aspire 5930G is almost the same of the Aspire 5920G, might we use its bios on our laptop?

I noticed that the most important differences between the 2 laptops are limited to: the kind of processors (but i changed successfully my old T7300 with a quickier T9300 without any bad consequence, though i kept the same bios !!!) the Express Chipset Mobile Intel (but we have a dedicated video card so we should not mind it!!!!... i guess..), the Intel Wireless WiFi and the video card.

What's your opinion?

Using the BIOS from one machine on another? Enjoy your paperweight, Dan.

The fact that they are on different chipsets ALONE should warn you that this is a bad idea. The fact that you have a dedicated card means nothing - the chipset also handles hard drives, USB ports, RAM, and the communication between all the laptop's parts. BIG difference.

Using the BIOS from one machine on another? Enjoy your paperweight, Dan.

The fact that they are on different chipsets ALONE should warn you that this is a bad idea. The fact that you have a dedicated card means nothing - the chipset also handles hard drives, USB ports, RAM, and the communication between all the laptop's parts. BIG difference.

Oh ok, thanks

I am also looking for any possibility on installing 9600M GT on my acer 5920g. After googling, found out there is non-success case so far.

question: If we able to get Acer Bios 9600m gt, the chances of success if higher than original nvidia bios :) ?

You had ordered the card already? I'll be grateful for some response :)

Guys I have something in my mind - could it be restricted from the laptop's BIOS. If yes, can we mod the BIOS somehow. I'm thinking this way, because there are people with Acer BIOS 9600Ms that are saying that it don't work :)

why buy a card that has been test not to work

Guest apolus

i ordered the card because i think that it just is a BIOS restriction because the heatsink doesn't fit right on the 9600 chip.

If we can remove that restriction and mod the heatsink a bit then i believe we can$ make it work. i intend to work on that

And I think that it is a BIOS restriction. If that don't work, you could try to change to code in vBIOS of the 9600, to recognised like 8600. I think that that should do the trick :)

how can u change the vbios if it will not even post

Apparently not, but I don't know if anyone has done it properly. If you buy a card from Ebay (like most of the people here) you have to be very carefully. I bought one last year from someone in Germany and he sent me one that was clearly the 8600M GT 512MB. I don't know if he did that by mistake or he was trying to get rid of the 8600M GT card that he had put the Acer 9600M GT bios on it. I tried to install it anyway but I had no luck. I was getting black screen even though the laptop was loading the windows and everything (as I was able to play CDs). I sent it back and now I am like you, waiting for someone to report something interesting. Just be sure whatever you buy is the right one. It is really unfair no being able to install a MXM II card on our Acer 5920G since that's the reason we bought it. Acer should provide help on that matter and not reply with just "Sorry, it's not possible" without explaining why. I hope the new Ati mobility 4000 series MXM 2 are compatible with 5920 so we can get one.

This isn't good news :) I was hoping to upgrade my 5920G.

Looks like I'm gonna have to settle with upgrading to an 8600GT, I've seen some upgrading to ATI 3650 - runs a bit hotter though.

Actually the 3650 is cooler than 8600, and on top of that the 8600 are defective. I would stay away from them, actually I'm waiting my 3650 512MB DDR3 video. I hope that it would run, because AFAIK there is no 5920G with that video, only with 256 :)

Damnit...

i missed the UPS man 3x times -.- my card is back to the retailer -.- must phone tomorrow -.-

any good news?

I have Aspire 9920. I tried install 9600m GT 512 DDR3, but i got black screen. We need waiting for new bios or MXM2 ATI/AMD 4xxx card :)

where`d you bought your 9600m gt ddr3? Was it with pre-installed Acer vBIOS? I would like to try to upgrade too

All the users that I have talked to who purchased factory 9600m gt did NOT work in the 5920 series.

Some,(I mean by really rare) models of 5920 comes with HD3650

HD3650 with acer bios works

HD3650 is HOTTER then 8600m gt (my Acer HD3650 ran at 120c default, with downvolting and downclocking the ram to 700MHz, it runs at 103c, core clock was 675MHz)

that should clear somethings up

Guest big hair
All the users that I have talked to who purchased factory 9600m gt did NOT work in the 5920 series.

Some,(I mean by really rare) models of 5920 comes with HD3650

HD3650 with acer bios works

HD3650 is HOTTER then 8600m gt (my Acer HD3650 ran at 120c default, with downvolting and downclocking the ram to 700MHz, it runs at 103c, core clock was 675MHz)

that should clear somethings up

With such high temperature I'd assume you messed something up during installation. Maybe your heatsink doesn't make full contact with the GPU.

@ 103 i'd give it a week before it breaks down

Try cleaning ur fan, my hd 3650 ran at the same temp but after cleaning the fan the max was 78C. Add in my custom laptop cooler it ran about 55C max :) . (Using a good thermal paste like tuniq tx2 or arctic cooler mx2 does help too!)

Guest messias
where`d you bought your 9600m gt ddr3? Was it with pre-installed Acer vBIOS? I would like to try to upgrade too

I bought in Hungary, but the card from USA, and it was Acer vbios. After the insert the card, i got black screen :)