LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Does anyone make 9600m gt work on acer 5920g?

Guest gavc1220

Would installing a GDDR3 HD3650 work with a 5920G anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f3bandit

• Jasperbones

• triturbo

• reiluke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a matter of fact 9600gt m is pci-e 2.0 and 5920g 's mobo supports pci-e 1.0, could this be the reason of incompability? With 7000 smth 3dmark 2006 point hd 4670 is my favourite but it is also a pci-express 2.0 card and I'm afraid same mobo bios issue will be the handicap with same black screen event.

Although GPU-Z says the 9600M GT is PCI-E 2.0, I honestly think that's an error on their part, considering that a) Intel's own website doesn't mention the PM45 chipset using PCI-E 2.0 and :) NightWalker was able to get the thing working on an Asus C90S on the 945P chipset.

I have gotten myself a 9600M GT GDDR3 512MB MXM-II Module. It's PCI IDs return as an acer unit, with the gorrest G96 PCI ID. Joy of joys, a black screen.

However, I was able to see that the bios booted ok (After placing bits of paper to prevent shortouts with the card and the current cooler, card is a normal temperature)

I was also able to run nvflash blind from a bootable USB key, with it's output redirecting to a textfile and also using logging commands in nvflash.

Much to my irritation, nvflash is unable to ID the eeprom on the card, and it's the same as the one in the infamous Asus C90S mod. Down to the ram

The fact I was able to read PCI-IDs indicates that the PCI-X interface is ok.

I don't believe the card is faulty, especially as others are having the same issue.

My card was correctly identified as a Geforce 9600M GT.

This seems more and more like a BIOS lock to me, preventing access to the eeprom chip or not even executing it.

I don't think the Video BIOS is integrated into the system bios, as I have been unable to find a vbios in it, plus I was able to use nvflash to pull the bios off my original card, and even toggle it's write protect status.

Also, if you remove the card and boot with no card, you're rewarded with a white screen, and a backlight. whereas you get all video devices off (haven't tested the s-video and HDMI ports) and no backlight

I think if we want to get these cards working in this model, we need to defeat some form of system bios lock

Anyone had asked acer support for updated bios?

Good idea let all of us ask for it :) Maybe they release a new bios for nvidia 96xx and Ati 46xx series?

Following some guides on the net, i found the section of the bios for pci locking, and unsurprisingly I found the 8600M GT's codes in there. All I need is the IDs for the Radeon and I should be able to replace it's codes with my 9600M GT. Assuming I'm game enough to flash to my laptop I use for work.. >_<

Definately a lock on the BIOS of these things.

Pity I can't find a cheap ZD1 Revision 5920g to play with...

This is some great news! I'm currently running HD3470 and waiting my HD3650, tell me if I can help you. 9600M on 5920G is like a dream come true :)

Guest RanCorX2
Hello guys,

I have ordered a Original Acer 9600m GT GDDR3 512MB Board from the Acer Spareparts Supplier here in Germany.

It costs ~200? it's the MXM-II Board out of the Aspire 6935G and 8930G Notebook.

I will report more as soon as it is delivered.

Greetings

Tried registering on the site you mentioned but I never received an email to let me log in and buy stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Now we're talking!

@Aivas: You definitely seem to know what you're talking about :) , unlike many other guys who tried to upgrade their 5920g GPU before you and came up with the wildest theories... (including myself :P ).

@Meins321: Nice to hear from you again, we communicated a while ago, when I/we tried to upgrade to Ati Mobility HD2600XT...

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....amp;#entry88958

Anyway, after trying everything I could come up with, I gave up this upgrade of my 5920g to HD2600XT for 2 reasons:

1) my new card apparently came from a Gateway lappy, and those are supposed to be vbios crypted => never managed to extract vbios properly... This intel might be flawed though, and the only reason for this upgrade not working would then be:

2) I also started to suspect a bios pci lock on the 5920g...

...but I won't give up! I just love upgrades too much :) Feels like creating your own personal, unique computer...

@Aivas: You made a big leap ahead by confirming that it really IS a bios lock. My question is: where did you get the info? You edited the bios? What did you use? Phoenix? I would be most grateful if you could post the links to the guides you are refering to in a previous post, the ones who made you come to that conclusion.

Oh, by the way: my 9600m gt is on it's way, I will gladly assist you in your researches if I can: I want to make this happen just as much as you do!

- @Meins321: Thanks for sharing your vbios!

Edited by Gibarian

@aivas

Stupid question: instead of modifying the laptop's bios, can't you "simply":

- get the card's bios by blindflashing it and making a backup on a usb stick

- modify it with NiBiTor and change card ID to turn it into a "fake" 8600m GT, so that it gets identified as "valid" by the laptop

- re-blindflash it with the modified bios

... I guess you already thought about this. You probably can't make a copy of the vbios, right?

Ok, I guess that would be too simple... :)

Guest oshimish

Hello! Sorry for my bad english and some mess.

I have Aspire 7520 with 8400M G.

When I install 9600M GT it's not start at all. Of course :)

It's impossible to do 'blind' flash, but crisis mode works. I try to read card bios in crisis mode, but crisis mode expect special 'crisis disk', that doesn't contains DOS at all and directly runs PHLASH.EXE tool. I try to replace phlash with nvflash, but it's not working at all. I decompile crisis disk boot loader and detect that booting in crisis mode start from non standard offset - 7C80 instead 7C00. I create patched MSDOS boot disk, but it also not work - most likely BIOS in crisis mode do not provide all services needed for DOS booting.

Ok. Maybe it is not needed at all - after futher investigation I think that problem is not in card bios.

The main reason - I try other 9600M GS card with Nvidia bios and it's worked! Problem is not in card bios, and is not in card bios vendor - GS card has Nvidia bios. And is not a PCI-E 2.0 issue - GS works fine in 2.0 x16 mode. (I see that in GPU-Z)

Ok. Lets go deeper. I can't believe in hardware issue - hardware parts has very strong specification. It's MUST work on physical layer.

Problem might be in the system BIOS.

After discovering acer models, I find exactly some model, but with updated chipset and 9600GT. Wow :P It's Aspire 7530.

I get latest 7520 v1.33 bios and latest 7530 v.1.333 bios. Interesting that version in nearly some :unsure: One big deference is chipset - MCP67 in 7520 and MCP77 in 7530. Big difference? Sure not. Сertainly it's different chipsets with different capabilities, but it MUST have common interface. for some reasons why all Nvidia chipsets has some drivers.

I got Phoenix BIOS Editor and explore this two bioses for deferences. They very similar. some structures, some initial chipset registers values. Ok, it's good :w00t: I even begin thinking to try flash 7530 bios )

I compare ACPI0.AML (it contains ACPI language source) from different bioses using diff/merge utility. Of course MCP77 version has some updates, but it's commonly some! That mean that 7530 bios it is some branch from 7520 source. And after small update 7520 CAN work with GT :unsure:

Further, in bios archive I find two interesting files - readme.txt from 7520 model and ZY5NOTE.TXT from 7530. see that, it's really interesting )

7230 notes is much more interesting. It contains many fixes for vga issues.

Some of them:

4. Modify MXM function to support version 2.1
base\bus\nvmxmint.asm
base\bus\pbint15.asm
append\vga\nvidia.asm
feats\extint15.asm

4. Update MXM INT15 callbacks with correct return parameters.
       base\bus\nvmxmint.asm

1) Seting default IGPU setup to Auto.And checking MXM directly to 
   setup UMA type for AGESA.Though the MXM GPIO present detect 
   had not been set when AGESA CPU code init, but after the PCI 
   reset after NVMM everything will be fine. 
       	zy5.tc\mctoem.asm                                      
             	zy5.tc\bcp.asm

1. Change back NV code to fix MXM card can't detect.
zy5.tc\oemrgtbl.asm

And many other...

What all of that mean? That correct software initialization of new MXM hardware is some kind of magic :unsure: All aspire **20 series fail to boot with exactly 9600M GT. it's works with 8600M GT, it's works with 9600M GS, but not work with GT :unsure: That why I sure that it's simply small bug in bios initialization code. And it nothing can do with that without source code and some debugging hardware. The only chance to get working that card - to spam Acer support with requests. It's not lock, it's really BUG. I has guarantee for this laptop, and I think they MUST fix that :)

It certainly is a bios bug or restriction. I check the Acer BIOS page and the BIOS files for the Aspire 5925 and the 5930 looks pretty much similar. Similar version numbers and similar sizes. Unfortunately they don't have release notes so we can check what sort of changes they have made but it look like the BIOS you use for 5930 is the same BIOS you use for the 5925. Now 5930 is the new 5920 with the new Core 2 Duo processors and of course the 9600M GT and on the other hand the 5925 looks very similar to the 5920, I think they have the same specification but without a graphic card. Does anyone have the 5925? Do you think people who have 5920 and tried to install the 9600M GT, should try again after trying to install the 5925 BIOS? If I had a 9600M GT I would have done all this. I guess we need someone brave.

Great search Guest_oshimish_* by the way

Do you have time to check the two BIOS as I don't have a bios editor?

I think we are getting closer day by day

And how would one check a 6920G BIOS file to see if the 9600M GT is natively supported there?

Been awhile since I looked at this thread.. been busy at work converting our school clients from windows to Linux.. >_<

But anyhow, The suspected bios lock I found is in the BIOSCOD4.ROM, and I used a Hex editor to search for PCI ID as though I was attempting to hack a wireless card in, only using the PCI IDs of my 8600M GT. There I found my card listed. So optimally I wouldn't want to change THAT option, I'd like to go back to my old card if need be.

I had thought about reflashing the card to have PCI-ID of the 8600M GT, which should defeat the bios lock effectively, but then I wouldn't have a VBIOS to initilize the card with. At east, not one that works. The reason 9500s work with that process is because they use a similar core, G84 as the 8600 series. The 9600M GT actually has the newer G96 core.

I'll have a look at the radeon bios isted above and see if it's PCI IDs are listed. It seems if the PCI ID is listed, then access to the rom is granted. I was unable to talk to the EEPROM chip at all, even though the nvflash prog found the card, complete with PCI IDs.

Just opened the bios version 3811 in my editor, and it didn't complain.. hmm.. perhaps I can mod this.. Just don't wanna brick the lappy I use for work >_<

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking the other day I should be able to add the Nvidia Bios as an option rom to the mainboard bios, probably replacing the on-board intel bios. I don't need that as the on-board intel is disabled on my version anyhow. The issue I had was the lock seemed to disable the bios on the card, so if it's embedded in the system bios.. :)

Problem is, I tried that tactic, but the phoenix bios editor complained when it came to compile the bios. Looks like I need a higher version than the 2.2.0.1 that I have. :)

Anyone got a higher version for me to test with?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do you know about any case of success upgrading with 9650m gt?

9600m gt: fails

9600m gs: successes

9650m gt: ?

• 1 month later...
do you know about any case of success upgrading with 9650m gt?

9600m gt: fails

9600m gs: successes

9650m gt: ?

Then 9600m gs works fine on 5920???

Yup. There's a fellow on NotebookReview.com named "gazzacbr" who pulled the upgrade to a 9600M GS 256MB GDDR3, iirc.

Yup. There's a fellow on NotebookReview.com named "gazzacbr" who pulled the upgrade to a 9600M GS 256MB GDDR3, iirc.

Thanks for your reply TehSuigi

Guest Nuke33

I just found this:

Mobility Radeon 4650 DDR2 with 5920G:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...1892&page=1

Here are some links where to buy the 4650 ddr2 and ddr3 with acer bios.

http://www.notebook-doctor.com/it-pi-n-Ace...Id-1881718.html

http://www.notebook-doctor.com/it-pi-n-Ace...Id-1881717.html

If someone can confirm sucess and has detailed evidence, i will order one myself and give it a try.

Greetz,

Nuke