LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Does anyone make 9600m gt work on acer 5920g?

Guest gavc1220

Been awhile since I looked at this thread.. been busy at work converting our school clients from windows to Linux.. >_<

But anyhow, The suspected bios lock I found is in the BIOSCOD4.ROM, and I used a Hex editor to search for PCI ID as though I was attempting to hack a wireless card in, only using the PCI IDs of my 8600M GT. There I found my card listed. So optimally I wouldn't want to change THAT option, I'd like to go back to my old card if need be.

I had thought about reflashing the card to have PCI-ID of the 8600M GT, which should defeat the bios lock effectively, but then I wouldn't have a VBIOS to initilize the card with. At east, not one that works. The reason 9500s work with that process is because they use a similar core, G84 as the 8600 series. The 9600M GT actually has the newer G96 core.

I'll have a look at the radeon bios isted above and see if it's PCI IDs are listed. It seems if the PCI ID is listed, then access to the rom is granted. I was unable to talk to the EEPROM chip at all, even though the nvflash prog found the card, complete with PCI IDs.

Just opened the bios version 3811 in my editor, and it didn't complain.. hmm.. perhaps I can mod this.. Just don't wanna brick the lappy I use for work >_<

I'd be willing to help.. but how?

I just ordered a 9600m GT from eBay and just right after paying, i found this thread.

I thought the card is compatible with 5920g in the first place as it has an MXM Type II port..duh..

Right now I'm on Acer BIOS version 1.3708, and have yet to update to 1.3813, which is the latest from Acer Europe.

I don't know whether this version of BIOS (1.3708) does have the so-called 'bug' or 'lock' that prevents the GT being detected.

Keeping my finger crossed..

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f3bandit

• Jasperbones

• triturbo

• reiluke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been awhile since I looked at this thread.. been busy at work converting our school clients from windows to Linux.. >_<

But anyhow, The suspected bios lock I found is in the BIOSCOD4.ROM, and I used a Hex editor to search for PCI ID as though I was attempting to hack a wireless card in, only using the PCI IDs of my 8600M GT. There I found my card listed. So optimally I wouldn't want to change THAT option, I'd like to go back to my old card if need be.

I had thought about reflashing the card to have PCI-ID of the 8600M GT, which should defeat the bios lock effectively, but then I wouldn't have a VBIOS to initilize the card with. At east, not one that works. The reason 9500s work with that process is because they use a similar core, G84 as the 8600 series. The 9600M GT actually has the newer G96 core.

I'll have a look at the radeon bios isted above and see if it's PCI IDs are listed. It seems if the PCI ID is listed, then access to the rom is granted. I was unable to talk to the EEPROM chip at all, even though the nvflash prog found the card, complete with PCI IDs.

Just opened the bios version 3811 in my editor, and it didn't complain.. hmm.. perhaps I can mod this.. Just don't wanna brick the lappy I use for work >_<

Hi I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I am stepping on anyone feet!?!

But If it helps anyone, I am intrested in helping where I can. I have an Acer Aspire 5520-5716 running phnx bios 1.33 and my laptop posted ok with the 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 card.

i get the "MXM structure error" and the 30 timer. but it posts, loads Windows XP, and the device manager reports it as a 9600M GT! I'd be willing to help anyway I can! :)

And anyhelp would be appreciated! :) thx in advanced!!!

Hi I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I am stepping on anyone feet!?! But If it helps anyone, I am intrested in helping where I can. I have an Acer Aspire 5520-5716 running phnx bios 1.33 and my laptop posted ok with the 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 card. i get the "MXM structure error" and the 30 timer. but it posts, loads Windows XP, and the device manager reports it as a 9600M GT! I'd be willing to help anyway I can! smile.gif And anyhelp would be appreciated! smile.gif thx in advanced!!!
Also I have noticed several people in these forums with their acer laptop specs in their sigs, And just to offer a suggestion. Try installing the DDR2-800 memory! I don't think even acer knows the real specs to their systems. if you open everest ultimate on an acer laptop it will report the max speed memory that the chipset can support. I'm running (2x2GB) OCZ performace (PC2 6400) DDR2-800 SO-DIMM Memory. And it is running with no problems, and at full speed! I have put the memory link below. And also attached a everest ultimate system spec summary below as well. I just figured I would suggest the faster memory for anyone looking for an easy upgrade till we get this 9600M GT business sorted out! :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

Report.txt

Edited by f3bandit

It appears to me that alot of the modules that phnx bios Editor extracts, are individually compressed.

So I googled some decompressors. And I found universal extractor. I got the following errors when

attempting to decomp the option roms. error's attached to post! :)

uniextract.txt

here's the output from phnxdeco->

Filelength : 100000 (1048576 bytes)

Filename : ic50133.rom

PhoenixBIOS hook found at : F7426

System Information at : F74A5

Version : DEVEL97G

Start : 100000

Offset : F0000

BCP Modules : 30

Released : 06 May 2008 at 11:46:06

/* Copyrighted Information */

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

/* ----------------------- */

Total Sections: 1

C:\phnx>

this file was created/ dumped using the -xs switch ->

phoenix_.000 <- this file will cause RBE.EXE to stop responding wtf!?!

this file was created/ dumped using the -x switch ->

phoenix0.B0 <- this file will open with no problem in RBE.exe

here's the error message from universal extractor! ->

Rom Extract Error!?!

Wow I really hope this thread didn't die!?! :)

@aivas

Stupid question: instead of modifying the laptop's bios, can't you "simply":

- get the card's bios by blindflashing it and making a backup on a usb stick

- modify it with NiBiTor and change card ID to turn it into a "fake" 8600m GT, so that it gets identified as "valid" by the laptop

- re-blindflash it with the modified bios

... I guess you already thought about this. You probably can't make a copy of the vbios, right?

Ok, I guess that would be too simple... dontknow.gif

I tried that as well, I altered the sub vendor ID, and the PCI sub system ID. to the ID's found in the 8600M GT series cards. No go! :)

as a matter of fact. it changed nothing. windows still installed the card as a 9600M GT. Same instance even doing a clean install!?!

you got me!?!

I am also working on understanding how borg-number-one modded the pheonix bios in vmware so as to safely test and bios mods

without bricking our precious acer aspire systems!

I am also working on understanding how borg-number-one modded the pheonix bios in vmware so as to safely test and bios mods

without bricking our precious acer aspire systems!

If anyone has successfully done this mod I would appreciate any tips or instructions! :)

Managed to find a few things in the acer bios and extract them, maybe someone else might be able to understand these a bit better than me!?! smile.gif

Acer Aspire 5520 BCP.rar

Acer-Nvidia oprom-subclass.rar

Acer-Nvidia oprom-vga.rar

Acer-Nvidia other-oprom.rar

ok well I have been thru every rom file I extracted with PBE. And I have used every ID there is from all the 9600M GT bios I have found on the net.

I'm pulling up nill. I think the proper MXM structure needs to be flashed to the card vbios. and not whitelisted in the sbios. I need another set of eyes

and another brain in on this! anybody!?! oh look two more tumble weeds go rolling by... *sigh* :)

I wish there was an MXM structure patcher!?! *pray* *pray* to the patcher gods! *sigh* :)

f3bandit,

it seems like you are the one that is 'alive' in this thread..

i'm no computer expert but i wish i can help here and there..

i've bought a 9600m gt from ebay (which is yet to arrive).

i have an acer 5920g with 8600m gs installed and acer bios v 1.3708..

Well in a nut shell I have done everything short of, extracting option rom files from newer acer sbios roms. and injecting them into

my acer sbios and attemped to rebuild the sbios for my acer. but it generated errors!?! and I have hex viewed all the sbios roms

for any acer vbios strings and come up nill. not really advanced stuff I'm doing here really. point and click really!?! :)

I really hope someone with a bit more knowledge than you and I comes along. I wanna get my card working full tilt.

but I also want to learn what to look for more than anything. So In the future I will be able to trouble shoot a solution

for sbios, vbios mods on newer systems! :)

I just added everyone that has posted in this thread as a friend, And sent them all a invite PM real quick before I hit my bed for sleep.

Hopefully with everyone helping we can solve this! :) ttyl

Edited by f3bandit

Well let's see if someone can do something with this!?! I just dug up a working link to Phoenix Technolgies FTP.ninja.gif

And I found their original bios template! very cool!!! thumbsup.gif

DEVEL4DJ.rar

digging around on google again, seemed like hours anyway. But i found some more rom and bin tools.

they are cmd prompt tools fyi. I will be testing them out here some time tonite. I've attached the

tool pack to this post so anyone else intrested can see what they can dig up with these tools. willy_nilly.gif

Nkbintools.zip

digging around on google again, seemed like hours anyway. But i found some more rom and bin tools.

they are cmd prompt tools fyi. I will be testing them out here some time tonite. I've attached the

tool pack to this post so anyone else intrested can see what they can dig up with these tools. willy_nilly.gif

Want to find an entire collection of those biosmod tools?

Then head over to that bay where the black eye-patch people hang out and look for "bnobtc" ...

Hey, Im new here.

Ive been watching this thread for months now, and within the last 2 weeks things have really got going. I just hope it doesnt stop here. I bought a 9500M GS for £40 from eBay to replace the current 8600M GS, but it came with a heatsink and upon removal damaged the card. Didnt boot. Damn I was pissed. And seeing now as 9600M GTs are sub £100 on eBay, im really hoping we get it working soon. Kudos to all the guys above, let me just say I know nothing about modding BIOSs or VBIOSs... But found something that somebody greater than me here might like to take a look at...

Saw on a forum the 9600M GT had been 'whitelisted'. So I googled 'remove bios whitelist' or something similar and found a guy who modded his mobo bios to allow him to use some WiFi card. Can something similar like this be done with our BIOSs?

Here is the link (Its a lengthy read) http://www.richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix/

I haven't found that exact forum, but I have found similar. thx I will take a look! ninja.gif

Not sure if you can do anything with this information...

I put the 9600m GT from a acer aspire 5930 into the 5920 but without a working result. I assume the card had a acer bios since it is an acer laptop.

I also read on some other forum that the problem is that the 5920 misses some kind of 'patch' for the 9600.

greetz

Hi all,

Been reading up about this for a couple of days now, would just like to say I have seen an Acer Aspire 5720 that has successfully upgraded to a 9600M GT: http://www.mxmvideoquest.com/upgrade_5720_96GT.html

I am planning on buying an Acer Aspire 5720 and a 9600M GT off of ebay this week so will let you know how it goes.

Maybe if this works you can flash the 5920 with a 5720 BIOS ?

Nooo way. The effects could be similar to buttering bread before you put it in the toaster. Results in a lot of smoke. You dont want to be doing that at all... Has anyone had any success with modding a 5920 BIOS? Like in that guide?