LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Does anyone make 9600m gt work on acer 5920g?

Guest gavc1220

Nooo way. The effects could be similar to buttering bread before you put it in the toaster. Results in a lot of smoke. You dont want to be doing that at all... Has anyone had any success with modding a 5920 BIOS? Like in that guide?

There should be no bad effects seeing as the 5720 and 5920 are pretty much identical spec wise

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f3bandit

• Jasperbones

• triturbo

• reiluke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest coolmast3r

Nooo way. The effects could be similar to buttering bread before you put it in the toaster. Results in a lot of smoke. You dont want to be doing that at all... Has anyone had any success with modding a 5920 BIOS? Like in that guide?

Nope. I bricked :P my 5920g doing it (i thought i found the pci id of 8600m gt and replace it with the 9600m gt).

It wont boot now. Anyone has a working "crisis disk" for acer 5920g? :)

I've tried quite a number of phlash16.exe version + some older + latest 5920g bios...still no go. :)

Anyone can help reviving my 5920g? :unsure:

Nope. I bricked :P my 5920g doing it (i thought i found the pci id of 8600m gt and replace it with the 9600m gt).

It wont boot now. Anyone has a working "crisis disk" for acer 5920g? :)

I've tried quite a number of phlash16.exe version + some older + latest 5920g bios...still no go. :)

Anyone can help reviving my 5920g? :unsure:

does it power on? if yes then your ok, bootblock is still on

download http://www.rechner.org/data/B1800_crisis_recovery_disk.zip

use crisdisk.bat to create the crisis disk

use a floppy USB

power off laptop, plug in usb floppy with crisis disk

press and hold FN+ESC then press power button

wait for a while for flashing to finish

if it does not flash try CTRL+ESC, some CTRL+E

• 4 weeks later...

anyone actually tried just changing the device id of the 9600M GT card, change it to an 8600m GS/GT seeing as that works

Yes it will brick the card, I tried it for s***'s and giggles. and now have a $150.00 papwer weight

I tried all methods for BIOS recovery mentioned above and none works.

Sent the laptop to Acer Service Center and they advised me to replace the mobo.

I refused and ordered a new BIOS chip instead. :)

http://www.bios-service-center.com/product_info.php?products_id=6310

Still waiting for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oshimish

Hi I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I am stepping on anyone feet!?!

But If it helps anyone, I am intrested in helping where I can. I have an Acer Aspire 5520-5716 running phnx bios 1.33 and my laptop posted ok with the 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 card.

i get the "MXM structure error" and the 30 timer. but it posts, loads Windows XP, and the device manager reports it as a 9600M GT! I'd be willing to help anyway I can! :)

And anyhelp would be appreciated! :) thx in advanced!!!

You get me hope!

My laptop has v1.33 bios, but card isn't posted. This mean that problem can be resolved with only vbios update. Maybe newer card has updated vbios without some restrictions... Can you attach 9600m gt bios from your card?

• 1 month later...
Guest widgetmidget

You get me hope!

My laptop has v1.33 bios, but card isn't posted. This mean that problem can be resolved with only vbios update. Maybe newer card has updated vbios without some restrictions... Can you attach 9600m gt bios from your card?

Guest widgetmidget

You get me hope!

I too have a 5520g bios v1.33 and tried to install the 9600m gt. All techpowerup bios didn't work, card not recognised.

I came across this topic

My link

and the g96 bios on this page allowed the card to be recognised and installed using nvidia 186.81 driver.

However............

If you read the end of the thread, it causes an mxm structure error on boot with a 30 second countdown, and I cannot get either nvidia control panel or desktop to recognise my TV on DVI D port. (haven't tried VGA - wot's the point!)

Does anyone have the ability to look at this bios and work out A. Why it works when everything else fails, and B. why it has these irritating glitches?

For those of you that don't care, this bios will get the 9600m gt to work on a 5520g!

I do cos I need my TV output, other wise I would have stuck to the stock 9300m g!

• 1 year later...

If anyone is still reading this thread: Fixed system BIOS (v1.3813) can be downloaded from http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/575866-possible-fix-acer-x920g-vs-geforce-9600m-gt-issue.html

Not yet tested on the 5920G, but it does fix the issue for the 6920G.

And no, it was not a BIOS lock - it was a trashed MXM structure in SBIOS.

• 3 months later...
Guest schnitzel83

Hi guys,

i tried to flash teh Bios form the Link above.

I have the Acer aspire 5920 G and 9600GT.

--> But i burned my bios complete, both cards odnt work only black screen, every attempt to blind flash bios failed....

Any ideas or news???????

• 3 weeks later...

Ideas: You did something wrong, both your cards, your LCD cable, backlight or inverter are dead.

Anything on an external monitor?

News. .Netroller3ds BIOS has been tested. The 9600m GT is now working on many 5920g and 6920g. The fixed BIOS makes the 9600m work.