LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Shader MHz?

Mushu

What's a Shader MHz? Is it possible to overclock it in newer series of the NVIDIA card?

Edited by Shaythong

yes, they are overclockable, they are usually doubled of the core speed(close to) rivatuner have them linked overclocking, which means you will be rising 2 MHz in the shader if you rise 1 MHz for the core, this is to prevent uneven performence. I tried lower shader and high clock speed, the performence gets jumpy

There are three main types of shaders.

-Vertex shaders: manipulate position, color, and texture coordinate

-Geometry shaders: add and remove vertices from a mesh, add volumetric detail to existing meshes

-Pixel shaders: calculate the color of individual pixels.

Of course they do a lot more than that but this is a general overview. Its the shaders that make the game what it is, these clock rates are more important that memory. Although refreshing geometric shapes is more important for some games and 3D apps.

Increasing core/ shader clock rates will give you more frame per second in games.

hope this helps.

I've also found that by delinking the shader and core clocks, you can actually overclock the shaders nicely on BIOS-locked cards without the need for 169.04.

I've got mine running at 1425 MHz (stock is 950) and the thing is rock-solid. Netted me a few extra FPS in games, and about 300 extra points in 3DMark06.

Thanks for defining some of the main types of Shaders Wook! From the other posts, it does look like the Shader MHz is another area to overclock for better results on some cards. :)

all good my man... enjoy tinkering with your clocks. :)

Depending on the game and its shaders, having a higher memory clock and setting the core/ shader lower will often have higher performance in games. and the opposite is also true.

Guest MonkeyMhz

For cards like the 9600GT and 8600GT and stuff were their main hold back is lack of stream processors i reccomend cranking the shader clocks. It significantly helped my 8600GT to much higher speeds. U just needa find that happy medium of Core, Shader and Mem were the temps dont rise much but the fps do.