LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Samsung R70 + HDMI Syncmaster no 1920x1200

bsec

Hi,

I have a very annoying problem, I'm using Windows XP SP3, nvidia G8600M GS (Samsung R70) and as a second external monitor a Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM via HDMI. My current drivers are 180.70 with modified .inf for laptop install, but I also tried 2-3 different driver versions always the same issue. If I connect the monitor via HDMI and reboot the resolution is 1920x1080 (the monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200),thus the screen is messed up, and I'm not able to change it until i replug the HDMI cable in and change again with F+F4 to HDMI as output signal, then it works. Same thing if I boot the laptop and afterwards plugin the HDMI cable, I still have to replug it once before windows recognizes the full 1920x1200 resolution. I even tried to change in the nvidia panel to allow "Allow modes not exposed by display" and to "Manage Custom Resolutions" typing in 1920x1200,and with or without "Treat as HDTV", but somehow it doesn't save the settings, don't know next reboot I have the same issue.

Thanks

Guest Pilot44
Hi,

I have a very annoying problem, I'm using Windows XP SP3, nvidia G8600M GS (Samsung R70) and as a second external monitor a Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM via HDMI. My current drivers are 180.70 with modified .inf for laptop install, but I also tried 2-3 different driver versions always the same issue. If I connect the monitor via HDMI and reboot the resolution is 1920x1080 (the monitor has a native resolution of 1920x1200),thus the screen is messed up, and I'm not able to change it until i replug the HDMI cable in and change again with F+F4 to HDMI as output signal, then it works. Same thing if I boot the laptop and afterwards plugin the HDMI cable, I still have to replug it once before windows recognizes the full 1920x1200 resolution. I even tried to change in the nvidia panel to allow "Allow modes not exposed by display" and to "Manage Custom Resolutions" typing in 1920x1200,and with or without "Treat as HDTV", but somehow it doesn't save the settings, don't know next reboot I have the same issue.

Thanks

I have a similar problem with my Dell XPS 1730. Since I have 8800 GTX Sli, I was able to apply 180.70 without the modded inf. Previously I experienced the same problem with my external Dell 24" monitor. I did have success with DOX driver versions since he apparently inserts additional resolutions to his modded inf's. You can try his 180.70 driver or I was successful with his 180.44 driver as well.

Make sure you remove remnants of old drivers with something like Driver Cleaner Pro before you install new drivers. Then I always use dispaly preferences (right click screen and choose preferences) to set resolution and other specifics. This has been successful in retaining native resolution of extended monitor (in our case, 1900 x 1200). I then reboot and if I choose, I can tweak further with Nvidia control panel. I don't set initial resolutions with the Nvidia control panel.

This is just my experience with my external monitor set up. Still waiting for Nvidia to put out a driver in XP that will support dual monitor Sli. Maybe a long wait.

The best possibility for a driver to work via HDMI is with the original driver made just for that particular hardware - the general drivers tend work very seldom - at least on my HP that's true. Then drivers found via Microsoft Update that do have an inf that includes your card are second best chance, like 176.92 for me. But it's a Vista driver, don't know what XP drivers can be found there.

Thx for the replies, I tried NOX 180.70 and wohooo if I change output to HDMI, I have full 1920x1200 sweeet, the only strange thing is that, dualview doesnt work anymore. Even in the nvidia control bar I can only select laptop (primary) +external monitor (secondary) in the dualview section and not the external as primary, if I do so in the windows display properties or ultramon, it sets my laptop monitor as primary, very strange. Furthermore if I boot the laptop with the HDMI cable pluged in, it doesnt activate the external monitor until I switch to HDMI with the FN Hotkey. I'm going to test tomorrow the 180.44 NOX driver, maybe it helps.

I have had similar problems regarding external as primary with recent drivers - hope they are fixed sometimes.

If someone is interested I fixed my problem, the resolution problem was resolved with the NOX drivers and the dualview problem with a modification of the inf file. Here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?showtopic=6614 is written what you need to add to your inf file in order to be able setting your second display as primary. thx again

It worked for my HP, too. Now I can watch my slideshow on HDTV screen with my full screen viewer. But single screen won't work on my TV - my cable may be too cheap as sometimes I get a pic in 1080p but corrupted colours.

It worked for my HP, too. Now I can watch my slideshow on HDTV screen with my full screen viewer. But single screen won't work on my TV - my cable may be too cheap as sometimes I get a pic in 1080p but corrupted colours.

Is everything OK with HDMI output on your HP (solo displays, both of them) ?

What drivers are you using with this modifications in the modded inf file and can you post the .inf ?

176.92 with original inf, just added those lines into it. Don't have it anymore as I deleted it. I have troubles with 1080p but don't know if they come from my cheap cable. Didn't get single display on external using 1080, but it was just a brief try.

176.92 with original inf, just added those lines into it. Don't have it anymore as I deleted it. I have troubles with 1080p but don't know if they come from my cheap cable. Didn't get single display on external using 1080, but it was just a brief try.

Too bad about the 1080p. Thanks for the effort in experimenting with modded drivers and HDMI.

• 3 weeks later...

With 179.28 that single external display succeeded, just 1080i, probably my cable prevents 1080p from working .

• 3 weeks later...

If you have HDMI in yours laptop and no DVI port, you can use HDMI to DVI converter - for me is working perfectly! I plug converter to DVI port in my Samsung 275T+ and HDMI cable from my laptop (Asus G1Sn with GeForce 9500M GS VGA and HDMI) to converter :)