LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GTA IV 8600M GT 512MB how it runs for you?

Zauxit

Guest MonkeyMhz

Yea, I know that the RAM's going over my card. But ill leave view distance at how it is, the game is very playable for me. Ive played it for a good hour last night. If problems arise I can always lower it.

And yes I do know the shadows/cube maps are linked into the resolution. I have already read that article at IGN a while ago. Btw, there are settings files for GTAIV.

Yea, I know that the RAM's going over my card. But ill leave view distance at how it is, the game is very playable for me. Ive played it for a good hour last night. If problems arise I can always lower it.

And yes I do know the shadows/cube maps are linked into the resolution. I have already read that article at IGN a while ago. Btw, there are settings files for GTAIV.

Not ones that it's worth altering, unless you have found otherwise?

Guest MonkeyMhz

Yea, its not much to alter, but it was there. Im sure theres more that can be done but you would have to spend a long time going through the files and it just wouldent be worth the trouble, regardless GTAIV isn't too bad now. Only thing that still ticks me off is the dithered shadows. Because even when I buy my new desktop and run it 1920x1080 with everything maxxed, that dithered shadow uglyness will still be there.

And how come before you said my P4+GTX280 invented compairson made no sense. Its perfectly true that a P4+GTX280 would achive very low FPS in GTAIV. I know its a stupid compairision since GTAIV isnt meant to run on P4's and that getting a GTX280 for your P4 is really dumb since it would be bottlenecked. However, Crysis on a P4+GTX280 would perform very well, as for GTA IV with P4 + GTX280 would be struggling to run medium, and maybe even minimum.

Yea, its not much to alter, but it was there. Im sure theres more that can be done but you would have to spend a long time going through the files and it just wouldent be worth the trouble, regardless GTAIV isn't too bad now. Only thing that still ticks me off is the dithered shadows. Because even when I buy my new desktop and run it 1920x1080 with everything maxxed, that dithered shadow uglyness will still be there.

And how come before you said my P4+GTX280 invented compairson made no sense. Its perfectly true that a P4+GTX280 would achive very low FPS in GTAIV. I know its a stupid compairision since GTAIV isnt meant to run on P4's and that getting a GTX280 for your P4 is really dumb since it would be bottlenecked. However, Crysis on a P4+GTX280 would perform very well, as for GTA IV with P4 + GTX280 would be struggling to run medium, and maybe even minimum.

Well why don't you say what you have altered in an existing config file?

Yep, everyone hates the shadows. :-)

You pretty much answer your own question about what my problem with saying about a P4 with a GTX280 using GTA4, because worse than declaring what you can definitely do before you've even tried it, you are trying to prove a point with something so irrelevant and hypothetical, it takes away from your argument, which you were correct about in that instance.

To compare a heavily GPU dependant game to a heavily CPU and GPU dependant game, with a non existent mix of the most modern and lacking hardware in use favouring the former, does not give any sort of real or purposeful comparison. If you gave an example of how they both work for you or from examples, then that is worthwhile.

I was just using that example to show that GTAIV is mainly CPU intensive, and I think it proves that pretty well.

Unfortunately it doesn't "prove" anything because it is just in your head. :-)

I take it you haven't actually modified any existing config files then.

Please just stop making things up if that is the case.

MMhz, I can't believe how far you take making claims, when you haven't actually even done something:

Looks to me like you've made an app that just creates the command line parameters files, added lots of appealing possibilities which you admit you don't know how to do, and then posted a screen shot on gtaforums.com.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=382789

Edited by Galdere

The P4 + GTX and low fps wasnt made up, its true, why dont you think before you speak.

Look who's talking. You keep making these claims with nothing to back them up.

If it isn't made up then where is the example other than what you invented? It isn't even relevant anyway, for the reasons you pointed out yourself.

You'd better get on with what GTA tool, seeing as you've made a big thing about what you haven't even figured out yet.

Guest MonkeyMhz

That GTX280 + P4 was a benchmark I saw on the net, I had trouble finding it now, but look..

_GTA4PC_CPU_Benches_1280.jpg

Now if a C2D @ 2.4Ghz And the GTX280 get a max of 19 fps and a min of 14fps a P4 isnt gonna do any better.

The closest thing to a P4 on that benchmark is the AMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6ghz and thats well in the P4 range, it with the GTX280 is only getting 9.6FPS max.

I know GTAIV performance ranges from PC to PC even if they have the same specs.

Even if my first example was a bit exaggerated its not far from the truth. These benches show exactly what I am trying to prove by that P4 comment, the mistake on my part was I should have posted something like those benches originally instead of making a claim.

That GTX280 + P4 was a benchmark I saw on the net, I had trouble finding it now, but look..

_GTA4PC_CPU_Benches_1280.jpg

Now if a C2D @ 2.4Ghz And the GTX280 get a max of 19 fps and a min of 14fps a P4 isnt gonna do any better.

The closest thing to a P4 on that benchmark is the AMD A64 4000+ @ 2.6ghz and thats well in the P4 range, it with the GTX280 is only getting 9.6FPS max.

I know GTAIV performance ranges from PC to PC even if they have the same specs.

Even if my first example was a bit exaggerated its not far from the truth. These benches show exactly what I am trying to prove by that P4 comment, the mistake on my part was I should have posted something like those benches originally instead of making a claim.

They are average not max FPS, mate. You're right about how to post, cos your example was wrong chip and wrong FPS. I always said your point about GTA4 being very CPU demanding was correct. So we agree on that (although I'm not too sure about those results, compared to what i've experienced first hand). :-)

That stupid patch fixed nothing. I just probably wait 3 or 4 years when there ill be some regular PC where its playable, doh!

Guest MonkeyMhz

If your having severe performance issues with GTAIV I should mention if you head on down to www.gtaforums.com under PC Version in GTAIV. My topic is pinned there that has helped many people achieve playable framerates in GTAIV on lower end/mid spec cards, it allows you to get past the resolution scaling with the quality. So you can run in your native resolution without objects and textures disapearing.

• 4 months later...