LaptopVideo2Go Forums

DVI output on base doesn't work, but VGA does on FX 1600m on Compaq 8710w

the handyman

I have a brand new HP Compaq 8710w with an external ViewSonic VP2030b monitor (all my specs in the details on the left).

When I connect via VGA, the external monitor works fine (with dualview, single view, etc.). However when I connect DVI the monitor isn't detected by windows or by the NVidia control panel.

Changing the input settings on the monitor has no effect... the monitor reports that there is no DVI signal.

I know for a fact the digital input works, and that the cable is good, because when using 175.51 the DVI works. I tried this version randomly because the three most recent ones didn't work... I just went back several versions just to see.

However, on the last three drivers listed for the 1600M, the monitor isn't connected via DVI:

180.70 analog only works

178.49 analog only works

178.46 analog only works

At each point I've tried rebooting twice (just in case the DVI connection wasn't detected until after reboot), this made no difference in any case.

----

I've spent a few days lurking on this forum and doing countless Google searches, without many results. One of the only posts I found that was similar to the problem I'm having was:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....showtopic=18085 (VGA works, DVI doesn't on Quadro 140M, not solved)

But no solution presented itself.

----

So why don't I just use 175.51 if that version is working for me? Because video performance is pretty horrible (I'm testing on two games, Starcraft and Star Wars Empire at War, and they both run poorly on this driver version).

On the newer drivers, like 180.70, video performance is fantastic, but the DVI doesn't work.

On the old driver I tested, like 175.51, video performance kinda sucks, but the DVI does work.

----

So why don't I just use 180.70 and simply use VGA analog instead of DVI? Because the Viewsonic, when connected via analog VGA, exhibits a variety of problems, including fuzzy graphics (crappy scaling), off-center game display (in the case of Starcraft), limited features, etc. So it's not at all ideal.

----

The goal here is to connect the Viewsonic VP2030 via DVI digital in Dual View, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I haven't tried? Has anyone run into this exact problem?

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Edited by the handyman

The three drivers known to work with HDMI: 174.70, 176.68, 176.92. That's HP quality support...