LaptopVideo2Go Forums

v179.48 Windows Vista 32bit | NVIDIA

mobilenvidia

Guest dr_bombo
Installs without a problem.

No problem with this driver, PowerMizer (downclock) is diabled by default though, so those who may want to use the laptop and not lose battery life may want to edit the registry key to 3322 instead of 2222 manually. Apart from that, no problem.

Sleep function OK.

Performance : Good, a tad bit better than with 179.28.

Compatibility : No problems so far.

Can you please describe the path how to change the reg? Thx.

Try this:

"go to Nvidia Control Panel > View > Add Desktop Context Menu and now its there."

How did I miss that? It works, thank you very much! :)

I just installed this driver, I used the 179.14 before coming to this one. I realized that in Left4Dead, my resolution settings is limited to 1440x900 and 740x480, whereas before, I had a lot more to choose from.

I am using Asus M50sv-A1 with a Nvidia 9500M GS. I didn't opt for a modded inf because the original inf supports my video card. I was hoping I could lower my resolution and turn up my settings a little bit.

Please let me know what you think and get back to me ASAP!

Thanks YALL!!

That's the possible minus point of original infs - the modified ones may support more resolutions. But you can create custom resolutions.

I just tried installing using a modded inf, the same result... I'm pretty sure 1280 x 720 is not a 19:10 ratio resolution because everything seems a bit long.

EDIT:

Custom resolution works too, I guess. But before with the 179.14, it was all done for me. I just find it weird how it didn't include some 19:10 aspect ratio resolution for me.

Edited by ravage

Guest Darkie

Can you please help me / I have a Sony Vaio FZ11Z and whenever I try to instlal any drivers for 8400M GT it sazs could not find correct hardware blabla...... thanks

Did you use the modified inf???

I have a laptop Pavilion dv5-1110el with GeForce 9600M GT 512MB and these drivers as well as 179.xx have a bug for me: after I play some games* in 960x600 and quit back to desktop in 1280x800, and then resume from sleep/hibernation screen resolution will be forced to 960x600!! :)

With 175.86 this doesn't happen. I tried to fill a bug report 2 months ago to nVidia but as always they didn't give a f***

*e.g. Tomb Raider: Legend (Steam version)

Edited by rolloLG

I've had that bug for awhile too. I'm not sure but it seems to only happen with Steam games. The resolution will reset fine when the game closes but it will reset to a low resolution when the computer is turned on or comes back from sleep.

IcePanther I have the same configuration as you, can you please tell me the temperature of the GPU ? with this driver? in desktop mode. 2d apps ,whatever.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, i don't come here very often.

Well, with this driver, here are some temperature readings (keep in mind that I have powerMizer enabled, that is, the GeForce downclocks self when not in use. I didn't have any downclocking-when-in-game issues, though) :

• Idle / 2D apps : 62 to 68 °C (depending on the CPU temperature*)
  • NFS Undercover (1024*768, all graphical options maxed) : stabilizes between 82 and 85°C, can go up to 86°C sometimes if I play for long
  • Command & Conquer 3 (1152*864, all options maxed except for FSAA) : stable around 82-85°C
  • Spellforce 2 (1024*768, all options maxed) : same
  • Fallout 3, Oblivion (1280*720, all options maxed) : same
  • Mass effect (1280*720, all options maxed) : seems stable but in fact grows very slowly from 85°C to ~87-90°C with hours passing. It is maybe due to intense CPU activity, too*.

Here, hope it'll help. BTW these are the same temperatures I always had on that system, since 169.04 driver, more than 15 months ago (I didn't bother with temperature montiroing before that).

* : As you may have noticed, in that machine, the radiator/blower duo is common for both CPU and GPU cooling, though they have two separate heat pipes.

Just tried using these drivers and I get a couple funny issues.

-1st is the driver installs my card as a Quadro NVS 510M but my laptop is running a 7900 GTX GO. Doesnt seem to effect it though.

-2nd is my temp has jumped up alot alomst to unable to touch keyboard used to sit about 60-70deg now hitting 90deg at times.

Also in 3dmark06 I have been getting a little stutter only a drop of a 1 or 2 frames but enough to notice havnt finished testing completly thinking it could be due to NVMonitor running in the background never used it before so not sure to late to test again will do in the morning. And I did do a clean install removed all previous drivers using Driver Sweeper.

Has anyone else had these issues or found a better driver for 7900 GTX GO I had a nice stable driver running sensationally but was tired when I tried this one forgot to note what version I had on it /cry.

Thanks

Hey,

My temps has jumped also alot since I installed them !!! I reverted back to the previous NVIDIA drivers and no problems . I was hitting 70c idle and back to the old NVIDIA I get 57c idle . It's strange :)

grtz

Well just finished up some testing lastnight with drivers (downloaded about 10 different and tore alot of hair out) and finally found the one I was using and it is still the best one so far.

I was using 179.13(alienware) with a modded INF works perfectly actually gave me about 20-30 more points in 3dmark (4689ish) but I lose up to 5 fps in some areas of wow.

Which isnt much so not to worried about it plus able to use my keyboard with out my palms sweating is a great bonus haha.

So far for Toshiba P100 with 7900 GTX GPU 179.13 is the best, alot cooler idle temps and cooler load temps.

With this driver (179.48) temp got so high card would scale back for a moment causing slight graphic lag. Plus it would report my card as being a Quadro NVS 510M which is very strange being a offical Nvidia moble driver release.

• 2 weeks later...

>>>My temps has jumped also alot since I installed them

I see this a lot from people 'use' to the modded infs; however, I wonder if these are accurate or if people don't understand the Vista Power Options.

NVidia 'official' drivers tend to use the Vista Power Model instead of going it alone like they had to do with XP and Powermizer.

With Vista, the proper system setting for Laptops and Desktops is 'Balanced' This is by the Clock or in the Control Panel under Power Options.

This settings will shove your CPU/GPU to full performance when needed, but when not needed lets the CPU step down and the GPU revert to 2D or low 3D GPU settings.

If you are running with 'High Performance' as your default, especially on a laptop, it usually will not let the GPU or CPU slow down when in 'idle' and so the clock speeds will stay at 100% and keep your CPU and GPU temperatures running rather hot all the time.

The modded INFs on this site often 'compensate' for this, so that even in Vista's High Performance mode, the GPU is allowed to 'slow' down to the lower power 3D or 2D clock speeds.

So if you want to run official NVidia Drivers, use the Vista power settings 'PROPERLY'...

You should have your Vista Power settings on 'Balanced' this allows Vista to have control and will 99.9% of the time give you full CPU and GPU performance 'as needed' and also down clock them when 'idle' keeping your system running cool.

This is also true on Desktops, as running at 100% clock speeds will really cut into your Desktop's cooling abilities, and cause long term affects and even limit your OverClocking. If you system is already running hot ALL the time, when you need the extra 'overclock' push of the CPU or GPU, the case and cooling might not be able to keep up starting with a 'hot' system. Balanced works really when with Pentium4D, Duo, and i7 with this regard, and will let you squeeze more out of your system in performance if you are an overclocker, which has become normal with the i7 CPUs.

Vista is designed to handle power very well, and is all automatic for you...

The 'Power Saver' 'Balanced' and 'High Performance' settings in Vista have advanced options, so that if you know something is not getting shoved up 'enough' or turned down 'enough' you can adjust how Vista handles this and compensate for it. This means that if you Need GPU and CPU performance even in 'Power Saver' Mode you can adjust the CPU and GPU setings to allow it to go to 100% and this will let Vista turn off other things not needed, and still save power while giving you the CPU and GPU at 100% if needed.

You can also control PCI, USB, Hard Disk, and various other 'power' options based on your system, and with some very specific settings and even do device by device settings if you need one Network Adapter to stay at 100% and allow another to power down as you don't need it at 100% all the time... (Power Users, truly look and play with your power settings to make your system spot on for cooling and performance with the right 'min' and 'max' settings on your CPU or whatever. - And if you mess them up, you can click Restore Defaults and Vista will set all the devices to what it and the MFRs say should be set... So it don't hurt to play.)

I hope this helps some people with 'idle' temperature issues with any driver, and also should push 'power users' to modify the advanced settings to meet their specific needs or at the very least get everyone to set the Vista Power settings to 'Balanced' and not keep your CPU and GPU cranked at 100% all the time when it is not needed.

Summary:

So set your power to Balanced in Vista - for both Laptop and Desktop Users...

99% of the time, you won't be able to find a single FPS difference between 'Balanced' and the Vista 'High Performance' setting, as Vista cranks up in the Balanced Mode as needed and lets your system and devices cool off when not 'needed'. This is also true on Windows7, as it uses the same new power framework.

I've had that bug for awhile too. I'm not sure but it seems to only happen with Steam games. The resolution will reset fine when the game closes but it will reset to a low resolution when the computer is turned on or comes back from sleep.

I'm afraid it's a video driver bug anyway: with 175.86 it doesn't happen. Never.

PS

Just tested also Forceware 179.67 and the bug is still there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

This driver gives me a BSOD in the Dawn of War II Single-player demo just by playing the cut-scenes or loading screens. Never got to see gameplay. Other games like Call of Duty 4 and Team Fortress 2 play just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the stuff about vista power modes lol. i didn't know this, and always had it set to high performance. Set it to balanced and it knocked it down a couple of degrees :)

Edited by Maarij

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys i am new here...i have tried every means as far as i think with which i must be able to install new drivers..but i am just not able to and i`m stuck with the V7.15.11.0119 Version..i dont know where i am wrong..anyone who could explain me in detail as to what to do from start till the end i would be highly grateful.

My laptop Asus G2S specs are-

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20Ghz

Memory(Ram)-2GB

Os-Vista Ultimate SP1

Video Card-256MB Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT---PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&Subsys_15151043&rev_A1

1920x1200 (WUXGA)

Edited by Saaksh

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bother, but I'm running a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150.

My card isn't on the list, which means I'll need the Modded Inf file.

But the link to the Modded Inf file seems to be dead; it the resulting page says the file was 'misplaced'.

Can someone provide the Modded Inf file? I'd really like to try this driver.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Myggiz

I used to run this on my Rock CTX pro with a GO 7950 GTX and it worked perfectly.

Now i missplaced the installations files and are swaping harddrives and it cant be

downloaded here (the inf) .. anyone able to help and point me to a newer driver or

got the INF laying around ?

// Myggiz

• 4 months later...

I have updated my drivers before (I downloaded 179.28 vista32bit/ Modded Inf)

But I noticed that the latest drivers have the option to download Physx drivers.

Pls advise how to properly use/download the Physx drivers.

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
Guest GUESTY

I am unable to install the driver. I remember installing it before with a different method.

Can somebody give me a link about that different way?