LaptopVideo2Go Forums

max temp (notebook)?

jdlf

Hi all,

Have a Nvidia GeForce 9650m GT 1GB DDR2 on my laptop. ON 10 per cent OC I have never recorded temps over 72ºC.

Do you know its max. design temperature? I know desktop 9600 and 8600 GT have at least 105 max design temp (at that temp they are supposed to shutdown to prevent damage), so will it be more or less the same for my card?

Also, what max temp do you recomend while gaming OCed? 80ºc maybe??

At idle, my GPU runs at 45-50 ºC

Thanks for all,

jdlf

Edited by jdlf

I have never hit 70c, if so, I didn't know about it. Max I've seen is 69c. I don't play for long extended periods of time though. No more than an hour, usually less. I idle in the low 40s. When in the desktop I underclock, like 50% of stock clocks. I also raise the back about an inch, using cut erasers rapped in electric tape. My CPU is also undervolted, meaning less heat in the laptop, cooler GPU in turn.

But your temps are fine. You don't need to worry at all. Try doing what I've done to reduce the temps and you'll definitely be fine.

time4fun, Think that with those temps your laptop will last forever! :)

And what about something like 80º C OC? will it ensure good durability? Even to more temp? what do you guys think? Think these cards are robust enough for that, but...

(still with powermizer on, and idle temps at 45-50)

jdlf

Edited by jdlf

I'd consider under 85 C pretty safe.

I'd consider under 85 C pretty safe.

If I saw 85C, I would be shutting down. I'm paranoid about burning the chip out. Better safe than sorry.

However, I'm sure the chip can take it. Just be careful about temps over 80c. Not to mention, in the high 60s my hand is on fire, i can't imagine 80c lol. Just try to never go above 85c.

Do the following to lower temps too...

When in the desktop, underclock, pic. (I have two profiles, High and Low. When gaming I use High, everything else, Low.) Raise the back about an inch. Undervolt your CPU, link.

Edited by time4fun

"If I saw 85C, I would be shutting down."

I had an ASUS G1S for a year, with a DDR3 8600m GT and I got max. temps of about 97-102 ºC (its cooling was s***), but it never caught fire or broke :) I suppose 80-85ºc max temps will ensure durability, but i'm no expert, and that's why i'm asking...

Any1 else that knows about this??

Edited by jdlf

It depends so much on the particular card design - my Quadro FX1600M has a safety clockdown temperature of 105C - my ex go5700 had 135 C - later the drivers lowered it to "just" 125 C ...

never ever go above or equal to 100,board and card handle the below :)

consider 90s as yellow alarm.

Id say 85c and below is safe, no need to worry at all. Above 90c is where you should be getting a little worried, and 100c+ is time to $*** your pants. haha. But yeah at those temps your card will last for a long, long time. Im overclocked (specs to the left), and idle im 56-63c, gaming 79c MAX.

I'd agree with coolcop's above post. 85 C is a good max temp for a performance or enthusiast card. Note though that just because the temperature threshold is 100+C does not mean that you want to hit those temperatures consistently. Its more of a critical temperature threshold than a safe temperature threshold.

• 4 months later...

i wouldnt want my card geht hotter than 80°.

8xxx cards usually get really hot. but with 90 or higher you get stuttering in gameplay and i dont think this heat is good for my gpu...

• 2 years later...

Just spams popping in.