LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hdmi stopped working after driver update

Guest SirHumpsalot

Guest SirHumpsalot

Hi, I constantly visit lv2g and update my driver frequently, I especially love dox's drivers. After the recent dox's release (185.68) I update my driver as usual but after the update my hdmi port stoped working, I checked the cable and the TV (toshiba hdtv) with another computer and it worked perfectly, I uninstalled the drivers and used driver sweeper, I tried every existing driver including the oem's drivers but with no avail, I even downgraded my bios but no luck either. When I look at the nvidia control panel it recognizes my tv as a toshiba tv and I can adujst the setting but nothing comes up on the tv (not in clone mode nor dualview).

I have an hp hdx16 with geforce 9600m gt 512ddr2. everything worked great 2 days ago. I really hope my hdmi port is not fried or something like this, I looked everywhere on this forum and net and I haven't find any solution.

ould Your help wbe greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced

Have you checked in clone mode what frequencies you have to choose from when on 720p mode (1280x720). I have had problems with some drivers that offer just 62 Hz to my TV, which gives just black screen. Another problem was a bad cable which didn't work at 1080p, which was the default and sometimes pretty difficult to force to stay on 1080i. Dox 185.68 is okay for me, lots of HDMI modes to choose from.

thanks for your reply, I tried every combination of refresh rate and resolution but still no signal, the nvidia control panel recognizes my tv and the native resulotion and refresh rate, I used this cable two days ago and it worked fine with 1080p. I'm quit sure it's something in my laptop because I tried connecting another computer with the same cable tv and setting and everything was ok.

any other thoughts?

Testing if the cable/tv combination works is easy - just restart the computer and Fn/F4 during the boot process - the output should jump to your TV on 720p until the GFX driver is loaded. Then your TV turns black if the driver doesn't work.

Again thanks for the reply, The cable\tv combination is fine, it worked two days ago with my laptop and it works fine with another pc so I suspect the problem is with the hdmi port, although the laptop recognizes that it's connected to toshiba hdtv there is no signal on tv. Also the nvidia control panel marks the equipment as hdcp capable so everything should work, but it doesn't.

I really hope that the problem is software related and not hardware

If the port is working, you should have picture after starting the computer when Fn/f4'ing until the GFX driver starts to load - it's the first thing to check eliminating hardware error.

I tried fn+f4 while the computer start and after then my laptop monitor becomes black but no picture on the tv, like I said before, the laptop acts like it's sending out signal through the hdmi port but nothing really comes out on the tv, I tried it on 3 different lcd televisions and nothing seem to work

I tried fn+f4 while the computer start and after then my laptop monitor becomes black but no picture on the tv, like I said before, the laptop acts like it's sending out signal through the hdmi port but nothing really comes out on the tv, I tried it on 3 different lcd televisions and nothing seem to work

Sounds like hardware problem on the computer if the TV+cable works with another computer :)

That's what I'm afraid of, I just want to rule out any software problem before I turn the finger of blame towards the hardware/

Drivers found to have working HDMI on my HP/Compaq:

174.70, 176.68, 176.92, 179.28, 179.32, 179.48, 185.20 (and 185.65, .68).

I tried these drivers but still no luck. Actually 3 days ago the hdmi worked with every drivers annd suddenly there no output, maybe it's a faulty hdmi port

Most probably :)

I think the port was damaged during a bios upgrade, I'm sending the laptop back to hp, let them figure it out

i have the same problem when i update de software of my nvidea... i resolve it with the original driver who comes with my computer when i buy it... this is a problem not from hardware but from the update...

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem but it only happens with my Toshiba 32 Regza and works with my Samsung tv. Used to work with my Toshiba but then my 8600M GS fried and had to be replaced, since then no matter what drivers I use I can only get hdmi connection with the samsung tv and can't get it on any resolution/driver combination with the toshiba tv. Any ideas? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...