LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware's M17X gaming laptop with twin GTX 280M GPUs truly is all powerful

mobilenvidia

m17x-2_350-all-powerful.jpg

by Thomas Ricker, posted May 29th 2009 at 5:28AM

The announcement wasn't scheduled for a few more days -- four according to the teaser site -- but it looks like Alienware's All Powerful gaming laptop has been set free anyway. So, does it live up to the clues? Pretty much... how does a pair of 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M GPUs strike you? No Core i7 listed, instead we're looking at a Core 2 Extreme quad-core CPU at the top end with up to 8GB of 1333MHz DDR3 memory, and 1TB of 7200-rpm disk or a 512GB SSD if you prefer. RAID 1 or RAID 0? Sure. Rounding things out is a nine-cell battery of unstated performance, FireWire, 4x USB, eSATA, ExpressCard, 802.11n WiFi, 8-in-1 media card reader, dual-layer Blu-ray, a 1920 x 1200 pixel edge-to-edge LCD, DisplayPort and HDMI-outs all wrapped up in a massive chassis weighing 11.68-pounds with a 15.98 x 12.65 x 2.11-inch footprint. It's also packing a GeForce 9400M G1 GPU with HybridPower technology that allows you to scale the graphics back to conserve battery power. Prices start at $1,799 for a lot less than we mentioned above.

Found the above over at Engadget

Dell I am available to do a full review of this machine :)

Dell FINALLY making an Affordable Alienware that can match Toshiba's Qosmio line? Unheard of!

It looks pretty sick to. Could they really have done it this time? IF the price stays at around 1.7k than i'm definately glad to see Dell finally pricing their laptops COMPETITIVELY.

1800 bux more than likely gets you the base model. Alienware has always been pricey. You can expect the laptop mentioned to cost more in the 2-3 grand range.

1800 bux more than likely gets you the base model. Alienware has always been pricey. You can expect the laptop mentioned to cost more in the 2-3 grand range.

Meh, if thats without most of that i'll stick to Toshiba. Paying 3k for a laptop i can get from toshiba for half that is by far better than paying out the arse for the brand name.

Woohoo x305-706 users :) it is the same chipset as on Toshiba laptop. Soon we will have good drivers and BIOS :)

There was a later post with the price of $5,587 for a configuration like the one mentioned.

Here is the new post.

It looks like they can be ordered now on the alienware site.

Edited by Korn1699

You will want to check out the Making of the M17x video up on You Tube at-

Enjoy! :)

post-38290-1244144313_thumb.gif