LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX 3600m/1600m - Two cards, same codname?

Darris

Ok, so I purchased a Compaq 8710w that went on sale recently. Looking at the model specs, it seems to have the fx1600m card installed.

I'm wanting to upgrade to a fx3600m for my classes this coming fall.. aannnd for some gaming performance as well I guess. :)

I'm reluctant to try the 3700m graphics card because of Vandleman's Thread

It may have something to do with the different chipsets between the 8710w and the 8730w. I know the 8710 uses the ich8 and the 8730

uses ich9 (it's the southbridge I know, but you get my point) so there may be imcompatabilites in the written bios. (find/make an image dump and disect it maybe?)

Regardless, I'm going the safe route of the 3600m as I know that card was offered in that model.

SO! Here's my problem. According to notebook check's website, the fx3600m's chipset codname happens to be NB8E-GLM.

I've confirmed that the newer fx1600m's shipped in the later model 8710w series share the same chipset name Confirmed here.

There's a few of these cards for sale on ebay currently. Here, Here, and here. So my question to you all is this: How do you tell the difference

between the 2 cards? I know the card sold here is missing the he form factor notch at the end of the card,

but if you look at the alienware card here, you can see the extra notch visible on the card.

I've sent questions to the sellers, and so far have no luck on them identifying which card is which. So, anyone who's had experience with this card, could you

give me some idea on how to tell the 2 cards apart?

tldr; How do you tell apart the NB8E-GLM model fx1600m and the fx3600m so I don't waste a purchase on the wrong card?

Thank you my mxm gurus! :)

Edited by Darris

Nevermind. I got the actual part number for the card from one of the sellers.

part# is: 468592-001

and the gpu# is: G92-975-A2

Now I'm just wondering if the 3600m from the Alienware/Lenovo series works with the 8710w.

Edited by Darris

Guest E Arnold

If your 8710w purchase was similar to mine (TigerDirect perhaps, or several other places), I think you're going to find more issues than the video card upgrade.

1) First, even though the unit was promoted as containing an Intel T9500 processor, it is, in fact, a T7800. The clock speed is the same, but both the fabrication and core are different

a) The T7800 is a Meron chip, while the T9500 is a Penryn

:) The T7800 has 4MB of L2 cache, while the T9500 has 6MB of L2 cache

c) The T7800 is a 65nm fab, while the T9500 is a 45nm fab, meaning that the T7800 will run hotter

2) MOST importantly, though, is that the T7800 uses a DIFFERENT motherboard than the T9500 (I got that directly from an HP field service technician), and these motherboard motherboards are also designed to accept DIFFERENT graphics boards.

a) The T7800 motherboard assembly uses a single-pipe heat sink for the graphics card -- which makes it compatible with the FX1600m

:) The T9500 motherboard assembly uses a dual-pipe heat sink for the graphics card -- which makes it compatible with the FX3600m

Put simple, you CANNOT upgrade to the FX1600m graphics card if you have an HP laptop that is configured with an FX1600m.

I've already been through all this! It was caused by HP mislabeling this release of 8710w with a label/model/serial number that INCORRECTLY identifies the unit as containing a T9500. I'd suggest KNOWINGLY, because it could have only occurred in the factory where the unit was assembled, packaged, and labeled.

Guest Guest_Darris_*

So what you're saying is that even though the fx3600 was an option for these laptops, it's a difference configuration on the motherboard, so anyone who wants to upgrade these is S.O.L.? That's a bit mortifying as I was hoping to do the same with an 8730w if things didn't pan out. Frustrating indeed. So is your service technician positive about this? Has anyone been able to successfully upgrade these without replacing the entire mobo?

Guest Guest_Darris_*

I just scanned through the parts list document for the 8710w. There are indeed 2 different motherboards based on processor, and 2 different heat sinks based on processors. However, there is only 1 graphic card heat sink listed in the parts list, and the 2 motherboards were near identical. I couldn't find pictures of both of the processor heat sinks, so I'm not sure what's different about them as well.

Talked to an HP CSR and they said that the fx3600 is indeed a direct swap with no modifications. Now I need to know if the fx3600 that came with the alienware is compatible with the 8710w

Just purchased a 3600m, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm looking to do the same with my 8710w.

So any part listed as 451377-001 is the FX1600M and

468592-001 is the FX3600M?

So far I only see two on ebay that seem to be the right ones. One has part# 468592-001 and the other one says that it IS a 3600M for an HP 8710w.

The rest just say 451377-001 so those are FX1600M right?

Did you get the alienware version that was on ebay?

I think I read somewhere that if you do upgrade, the card has to be from an HP 8710w and not from another manufacturer, due to a BIOS lock.

I took a couple of pics of the internal components of both my 8710w. One has the T9500 and the other had a T7800. Looking at the heat sink on both they appear to be identical.

Someone mentioned that the one with T9500 is suppose to have dual heat pipes for the GPU, but looking at the two pics the heat sink looks the same.

Keep us posted.

Edited by 2DXtreme

Yeah that was me. Someone on ebay posted that these cards don't work across computers, but that's someone on ebay. Looking between 2 cards, 1 from an HP and one from an Alienware, the only difference I see is the bios sicker. the HP bios is 62.92.00.26.09, the Alienware bios is 62.92.00.05. If it doesn't work I'm hoping I'll be able to flash the alienware bios with someone's 3600m bios image.

Yeah that was me. Someone on ebay posted that these cards don't work across computers, but that's someone on ebay. Looking between 2 cards, 1 from an HP and one from an Alienware, the only difference I see is the bios sicker. the HP bios is 62.92.00.26.09, the Alienware bios is 62.92.00.05. If it doesn't work I'm hoping I'll be able to flash the alienware bios with someone's 3600m bios image.

Which ones are you looking at?

What keywords are you using on ebay?

What do you think of these two?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130315740243

There are two more I found but the part #s listed are 451377-001, which indicates that they are 1600M.

Which ones are you looking at?

What keywords are you using on ebay?

What do you think of these two?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130315740243

There are two more I found but the part #s listed are 451377-001, which indicates that they are 1600M.

I saw both of those listed. I've been using 468592-001 and variations of "Quadro FX 3600m" for searching. There was another keyword I used for searching but I forgot it ><.

That first one is debadged, meaning there's no stickers or anything to identify it, even though there's screenshots testing it. That second one is cheaper, and has the correct HP factory stickers and is cheaper and ships out in the US (If you're located here)

I saw both of those listed. I've been using 468592-001 and variations of "Quadro FX 3600m" for searching. There was another keyword I used for searching but I forgot it ><.

That first one is debadged, meaning there's no stickers or anything to identify it, even though there's screenshots testing it. That second one is cheaper, and has the correct HP factory stickers and is cheaper and ships out in the US (If you're located here)

The one that's debaged is new, according to the seller. While the other one says "pulled", which means it's used.

I asked the seller of the second one if in fact it was a 3600m but he couldn't give me a straight answer, so I'm a bit skeptical. Although he did list it as "468592-001".

So you think either one of those would work?

The ones listed as 451377-001 are definitely the 1600m right and not the 3600m?

Also, have you noticed that the PCB boards on the 1600m are blue while the ones for the 3600m are green. Not sure if it's a clear indicator but what do you think?

BTW, did you notice on one of the screenshots that it says 64 shaders? I thought the 3600m had 96.

Are pipelines and shaders interchangeable terms?

Edited by 2DXtreme

Guest Guest

OK if you look at the layout of the components on the 3600m it is obvious that the 1600m heatsink can't work on it!!!

So either someone at HP has got it wrong or they made a different version of the 3600m that has the same layout as the 1600m.

as far as I can find the 3600m and 3700m look identical.

BTW I dont know who came up with you cannot use a different videocard, I have an 8710w that came with a 1600m andI put an HP 3700m in it and it works, I just need to find the correct heatsink!!!3700m8710w.jpg

I do have it reporting 256mb ram for some reason though...

OK if you look at the layout of the components on the 3600m it is obvious that the 1600m heatsink can't work on it!!!

So either someone at HP has got it wrong or they made a different version of the 3600m that has the same layout as the 1600m.

as far as I can find the 3600m and 3700m look identical.

BTW I dont know who came up with you cannot use a different videocard, I have an 8710w that came with a 1600m andI put an HP 3700m in it and it works, I just need to find the correct heatsink!!!3700m8710w.jpg

I do have it reporting 256mb ram for some reason though...

Oh man, I saw the pics you posted. I have been using the pictures posted on ebay for the 1600m and 3600m for comparisons. When I get the card in, we'll see what needs to be done.

Edited by Darris

I have the card installed and running. Seems to run fine so far. Downloading 3D Mark06.

I'll post GPU temps during the benchmarks.

3600minstalled.jpg

Stock VGA Cooler.

Edited by Darris

I have the card installed and running. Seems to run fine so far. Downloading 3D Mark06.

I'll post GPU temps during the benchmarks.

Stock VGA Cooler.

That's good to hear.

So was it in fact a direct swap or did you have to make modifications to make everything fit properly?

Since you used an Alienware card, I guess the rumors of only "HP specific" cards were false after all.

Edited by 2DXtreme

That's good to hear.

So was it in fact a direct swap or did you have to make modifications to make everything fit properly?

Since you used an Alienware card, I guess the rumors of only "HP specific" cards were false after all.

No modifications. I kept the sticky pads and checked to make sure there was contact with the GPU. Since the capacitors create no heat (these kind at least) all I was was looking for was good seating.

I tossed my arctic silver 7 a while ago, so I had to make do with what best buy sells (some generic brand) but during testing, the GPU never maxxed over 78c, which in my book is acceptable.

I'd post pictures of the swap, but I really don't feel like taking this thing apart again.

And yep, I sure am using the alienware card so we know these aren't bios locked :)

Stock drivers I scored 8036 in 3dmark 06. Installed the DOX drivers (186.24) and my score jumped to 8501.

That's a HUGE difference.

And finally, as far as HP making a version of the 3600m that's the same as the 1600m, I think they may have, as I've seen it on ebay. If I ever hunt it down again before it goes dormant, I'll post the picture of the card.

Edited by Darris

And finally, as far as HP making a version of the 3600m that's the same as the 1600m, I think they may have, as I've seen it on ebay. If I ever hunt it down again before it goes dormant, I'll post the picture of the card.

When you say "3600m that's the same as the 1600m" are you referring to the layout? Does your 3600m have the same layout at the 1600m? Sounds like it does since it was a direct swap. However, on one of the previous comments, someone said the 1600M HS does NOT work with the 3600M without modifications. So which is it?

So those two 3600m cards that I posted links to from ebay....do they look like the one you have, in terms of the layout?

Do you think it's safe to go with either one of them for a direct swap?

As far as going with a 3700m, what exactly would be required to make it fit?

From what I understand, the heat sink from the 1600m, which is what we have, would have to be trimmed, OR, we would have to get the one from the 3700m right?

Is the 3700m HS a drop in replacement or does it also require modifications?

What about the modifications to the actual laptop chasis?

Edited by 2DXtreme

When you say "3600m that's the same as the 1600m" are you referring to the layout? Does your 3600m have the same layout at the 1600m? Sounds like it does since it was a direct swap. However, on one of the previous comments, someone said the 1600M HS does NOT work with the 3600M without modifications. So which is it?

So those two 3600m cards that I posted links to from ebay....do they look like the one you have, in terms of the layout?

Do you think it's safe to go with either one of them for a direct swap?

As far as going with a 3700m, what exactly would be required to make it fit?

From what I understand, the heat sink from the 1600m, which is what we have, would have to be trimmed, OR, we would have to get the one from the 3700m right?

Is the 3700m HS a drop in replacement or does it also require modifications?

What about the modifications to the actual laptop chasis?

I should have been more clear. One of the first auctions I found on EBAY was for an HP 3600m that had the EXACT layout as the 1600m; I wish I had saved the pictures for it. It was from a french seller Luc-dularc or something like that. The 3600m I have in here curerntly shares the same layout as that 3700m that the other dude has been messing with.

As for the 3700m I'm not sure. There IS a dual-pipe heatsink for it, so I'm sure you'd need that to keep that beast cool. But I'm not the dude to ask about that.

I should have been more clear. One of the first auctions I found on EBAY was for an HP 3600m that had the EXACT layout as the 1600m; I wish I had saved the pictures for it. It was from a french seller Luc-dularc or something like that. The 3600m I have in here curerntly shares the same layout as that 3700m that the other dude has been messing with.

As for the 3700m I'm not sure. There IS a dual-pipe heatsink for it, so I'm sure you'd need that to keep that beast cool. But I'm not the dude to ask about that.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

This is the one I'm looking to buy. This one should be a direct swap like yours right?

Is this the FX3600M you bought?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alienware-m15x-nVidia-...bayphotohosting

Edited by 2DXtreme

Guest Frank

De FX 3600M your refering too from the french dude on ebay has the exact layout as the FX 3700M. I bought this card from him.

I lookt everywhere for a solution for the heatsink. Couldn't find any so I installed the GPU with the stock heatsink. The stock heatsink has the FX1600M layout.

There was no trimming needed to fit the FX 3600M. I saw the pictures that were posted on the forum with all the pics and trimming tips. None were needed when I installed it.

I have informend with an international HP dealer about the possible heatsink for the FX 3600M in the 8710w notebook. Once I hear from him I will post (quote) the email.

If it is availeble I will let you people know.

Regards

Thanks for your feedback. :)

This is the one I'm looking to buy. This one should be a direct swap like yours right?

Is this the FX3600M you bought?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alienware-m15x-nVidia-...bayphotohosting

The second one is the one i purchased, though it was much cheaper. The first one looks like the one I purchased, with the same board/chip configuration. not sure if it's EXACTLY the same, but it's damn near close enough to the one I purchased.

I'm by no means an expert on these cards, I just took a gamble and it worked out for me. If you are going to get one, only advice I can give is to keep the sticky pads (they keep the card from coming into contact with the mb) and clean the gpu and slap some arctice silver or some other high-quality thermal paste (preferably NOT from Best Buy, bleh). And handle with extreme care :)

Oh yeah, the torx screws to get to the card and touch-bar are size T-9 in U.S. torx standard sizes. Had to pick up a precision set from Sears for like, $10. And don't forget the screw that's in the top-left part of the fan/heatsink when removing the gpu heatsink. Took me a minute to hunt it down.

If I get the cajones to dissasemble this thing again, I may just do an illustrated guide on what I did with the swap.

With 3600M?