LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Inspiron 1750 and IDT 92hd71b xp driver

Guest Deadman1955

Guest Deadman1955

I have been losing my mind trying virtually every single IDT HD Audio Codec I could find to work with this new laptop. This is the ONLY thing that the driver I got for the 1545 model for XP that REFUSES to work.

I have tried every single driver and most the time they won't get past the initial setup screen without telling me the particular device isn't on my system. It worked before I downgraded. It identified itself as IDT HD Audio Codec (92HD71B). I don't understand what is happening here. I go to Device mgr., click on the yellow symbol, and try to force it to install the particular driver. When it does, it says the device cannot start. Any ideas?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skins

• Phnx

• pacman29

• niclk5

What is the devices hardware ID? You can find it under device manager -> (IDT audio device) -> hardware tab

• 2 weeks later...

I have been losing my mind trying virtually every single IDT HD Audio Codec I could find to work with this new laptop. This is the ONLY thing that the driver I got for the 1545 model for XP that REFUSES to work.

I have tried every single driver and most the time they won't get past the initial setup screen without telling me the particular device isn't on my system. It worked before I downgraded. It identified itself as IDT HD Audio Codec (92HD71B). I don't understand what is happening here. I go to Device mgr., click on the yellow symbol, and try to force it to install the particular driver. When it does, it says the device cannot start. Any ideas?

Hi mate,

I've just spent the last four hours trying to figure this out. And have finally got it all working.

Firstly, you can get drivers directly from windows update. Just let it search for em and it will install them. However, when I did this the sound fu***d up and kept getting random noise. You may be lucky, but I wasn't.

Secondly, I tried downloading loads and loads of different driver packages for the IDT device. None of these worked. Vista drivers for the 1750 didnt work. 1545 drivers didn't work.

Thirdly, I resorted to manually editing INFs. I downloaded the xp driver package for the 1545, then manually edited the INF files to get it working. Eventually succeeded!

If you need a copy of the updated install package, reply below and I'll send em over.

Sean

Guest Rajendra Kumar

Hi mate,

I've just spent the last four hours trying to figure this out. And have finally got it all working.

Firstly, you can get drivers directly from windows update. Just let it search for em and it will install them. However, when I did this the sound fu***d up and kept getting random noise. You may be lucky, but I wasn't.

Secondly, I tried downloading loads and loads of different driver packages for the IDT device. None of these worked. Vista drivers for the 1750 didnt work. 1545 drivers didn't work.

Thirdly, I resorted to manually editing INFs. I downloaded the xp driver package for the 1545, then manually edited the INF files to get it working. Eventually succeeded!

If you need a copy of the updated install package, reply below and I'll send em over.

Sean

I want audio driver for dell 1440 plz send that modified inf package to me

On the Inspiron 1750 I just recently put XP on, the random popping noise ended up being the power-saving function that came with the driver software. (The ones automatically downloaded by Windows.) It would make a loud pop at the start of a sound, and then another one ten seconds after the last sound (when the power-saving kicked in). I just turned off this feature and no more random popping noises.

Guest trautman

Hi mate,

Sean

i need this modified driver too, i'll try everything for the sound card on my inspiron 1750 under windows xp ...

that not worked : in the best case , i get the drivers withe a yellow "!" and error code 10.

On the Inspiron 1750 I just recently put XP on, the random popping noise ended up being the power-saving function that came with the driver software. (The ones automatically downloaded by Windows.) It would make a loud pop at the start of a sound, and then another one ten seconds after the last sound (when the power-saving kicked in). I just turned off this feature and no more random popping noises.

Makes a bit of sense I guess - but still, the sound quality didn't quite sound right with the drivers from Windows Update, sounded a bit distorted. The edited ones seem to be working flawlessly though. And it wasn't just at the start/after sounds that it did it with me, I could literally leave it there doing nothing and it would randomly pop away!

To start with, you'll need to download the XP IDT driver package for the Inspiron 1545 from Dells website to start with and extract these. I'll upload the updated INFs to some webspace tonight once I get home and post back.

As far as the Inspiron 1440 goes, it will probably need a different set of INFs again. I don't know what the situation with the driver packages for the 1440 is, but if you send me the Vendor, Device and Subsys ID's for the device (device manager, open the IDT device, go to details, then look under hardware IDs - if in doubt copy me the entire line) I will see if I can come up with something for that as well.

i need it too, i'll try with the windows update drivers, but the sound is crapy, and a bizar noise happen sometime ...

send me your modified *.inf from dell 1545 for my inspiron 1750 under XP

many thanks in advance,

trautmancs [at] hotmail . com

i need it too, i'll try with the windows update drivers, but the sound is crapy, and a bizar noise happen sometime ...

send me your modified *.inf from dell 1545 for my inspiron 1750 under XP

many thanks in advance,

trautmancs [at] hotmail . com

Here you go guys, as I don't have hardware info for any other systems, this will only work for the Inspiron 1750:

I'm not sure whether this is essential, but I would recommend removing the device you've already installed and deleting its relevant oem*.inf file to stop it reinstalling on reboot. Reboot the PC so it prompts for the drivers for it, cancel then carry on as below:

• First you need to download the Inspiron 1545 XP audio package (R215959) from Dells website.
  • Extract this into its default location (c:\dell\drivers\R215959)
  • Download the zip I've attached to this message (Inspiron1750_XP_IDT.zip - 131kb)
  • Extract all the files from this zip over the top of the same files within c:\dell\drivers\R215959\WDM
  • All done! Just run the setup file within the R215959 folder, and it should install and work perfectly.

Leave me a post below if this works for you!

Inspiron1750_XP_IDT.zip

Edited by Skins

Guest Trautman

Here you go guys, as I don't have hardware info for any other systems, this will only work for the Inspiron 1750:

I'm not sure whether this is essential, but I would recommend removing the device you've already installed and deleting its relevant oem*.inf file to stop it reinstalling on reboot. Reboot the PC so it prompts for the drivers for it, cancel then carry on as below:

• First you need to download the Inspiron 1545 XP audio package (R215959) from Dells website.
  • Download the zip I've attached to this message (Inspiron1750_XP_IDT.zip - 131kb)
  • Extract all the files from this zip over the top of the same files within c:\dell\drivers\R215959\WDM
  • All done! Just run the setup file within the R215959 folder, and it should install and work perfectly.

GREAT !! many thanks man !

i have the dell inspiron 1750 downgraded under windows XP and your trick works perfectly !

best regards,

Trautman !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate,

Sean

Guest DJ TidalWave

So I am getting my 1750 next week, and I really want to downgrade it to Win XP Pro. IS it correct that I should use the drivers from teh 1545 for everything except Audio, and for that I use the new zip file from this thread?

Guest DJ tidalWave

OK.. I got my 1750..Nice, but not as nice as the 1737 I ordered for the same price, (but the 1737 has a BIGTIME jackedup sound problem)

So, i downgraded to Win XP Pro. I had to change the BIOS to ATA from SATA to get it to boot, no problem. Then i tried to load everything, and windows update did get a sound driver, but I had the random poping as well, so I did the modified sound driver from here and now sound is great, thanks! I can NOT get the wireless card to install. The 1397 driver will NOT install! Anyone got any ideas? I need the wireless to work! I did run teh altency checker.. i had one red spike, all others were green with a few yellow, but it should be good. When I go to System it shows a T4200 @ 2.0 Ghz and it is running at 1.2 GHZ, I cant seem to get the true 2.0 Ghz speed from it, can I force it to 2.0 Ghz all the time ?

I cant get on here from work, they block it so if you wanna email me any tips as well as post them that make you SUPER!!!!!! ddibbern@comcast.net

Guest DJ Tidalwave

I GOT IT!!! I got the 1397 card to work! It was woth a driver for the multi card, and it installed as a 1395 card, and i was able to ge SR3, and allthe needed updates for my laptop!!!

I did it at work this morning, and will post the exact driver info tonight!

Jesus - over 500 downloads, and Dell don't think its worth offering proper XP drivers for this system? Sigh...

Couple of questions, couple of answers:

1545 drivers/1750 drivers - don't bother. None of the 1545 drivers will work with the 1750 - the only place they're useful is for the base package for the audio drivers as mentioned above.

Video - the only way to get the Nvidia drivers installed is by using the mobility moddder as linked by Kenni below - http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php - follow this process exactly and it will work.

Wireless - can't remember how I got this to work - I think it was with the base drivers downloaded from Intels website.

Processor running at 1.2ghz - this is fine, its just being throttled back while its not being used. Theres no point it running at 2ghz all the time as this would waste power/battery and generate excess uncessary heat. It will automatically jump to 2ghz when it needs to.

Guest chris k

Hi mate,

Sean

• 2 weeks later...