LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Replacing graphics card on HP Pavilion dv9790eo

Guest Chris

I've got a HP Pavilion dv9790eo with a busted graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS); unfortunately, the warranty has run out and neither HP nor the company that sold me the computer are willing to pay for the repairs. I'm unsure whether to simply replace/repair the old card or to upgrade it, but I want to investigate the latter option so here I am. At the same time I understand that laptops aren't easily modded like stationaries are.

My question: Does anyone know of a better graphics card than the GeForce 86000M GS that is compatible with the 9790eo model?

Guest MMetzger19

I've got a HP Pavilion dv9790eo with a busted graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS); unfortunately, the warranty has run out and neither HP nor the company that sold me the computer are willing to pay for the repairs. I'm unsure whether to simply replace/repair the old card or to upgrade it, but I want to investigate the latter option so here I am. At the same time I understand that laptops aren't easily modded like stationaries are.

My question: Does anyone know of a better graphics card than the GeForce 86000M GS that is compatible with the 9790eo model?

My suggestion would be to go to the HP website itself and see what other gfx cards were available with your current mobo. if there are no others available from the manufacturer, i doubt you'll have any luck anywhere else. best of luck, i'll help when i can.

I've upgraded my 8600m gs to a 8600m gt, there is quite a difference in graphic performance in the newer games.

especially when you take the ddr3 version.

Did you do this on an HP? If so, did your HP model have the GT as an option?

The reason I ask is that there are some who feel HP notebooks are difficult or impossible to do an MXM upgrade.

Thanks

DV9700 is not MXM. The graphics card, integrated or discrete, is located on the system board.

• 1 month later...
Guest Angry buyer

I had the same problem yesterday. The disgusting part of all of it is that I spent almost $2000 on a laptop that I had for no more than 2 years. What HP offered was to sell me a backup disk. I know it is the graphics card that needs to be replaced. I hope they go out of business! It really pisses me off that they sent customer service jobs overseas to save a few bucks. If a computer can not last 2 years without a problem it is a very inferior quality product, they are not any better than Compact used to be. They sell a product made in China does not meet specifications together with a false claim of support that is done in India to American consumers. $2000 is a lot of money, it could be a washer or dryer, luckily this is smaller product to get rid off….Boycott HP!

. If a computer can not last 2 years without a problem it is a very inferior quality product, they are not any better than Compact used to be.

Don't generalise from one experience. My findings: Acer, fault after 11 months; Fujitsu-Siemens, fault after 22 months; HP, still faultless after 23 months.

• 1 year later...

I also spent over $1700 on a HP 9310. As frustrating as it can ever get, the notebook is not working because of Nvidia Chipset. I simply don't know how to repair it and HP is saying that the notebook is no longer under support for parts or repair. I AM TELLING ALL FRIENDS AND RELATIVES NOT TO EVER CONSIDER BUYING AN HP. A COMPANY WITHOUT NO MERIT AND UNDERSTANDING OF ITS CUSTOMER.I CAN ONLY THINK OF HP GOING DOWN AS THEY HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD TO KEEP THEIR CUSTOMERS.

I had the same problem yesterday. The disgusting part of all of it is that I spent almost $2000 on a laptop that I had for no more than 2 years. What HP offered was to sell me a backup disk. I know it is the graphics card that needs to be replaced. I hope they go out of business! It really pisses me off that they sent customer service jobs overseas to save a few bucks. If a computer can not last 2 years without a problem it is a very inferior quality product, they are not any better than Compact used to be. They sell a product made in China does not meet specifications together with a false claim of support that is done in India to American consumers. $2000 is a lot of money, it could be a washer or dryer, luckily this is smaller product to get rid off….Boycott HP!