LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need help with internet speed on Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter

Guest Gregory

Guest Gregory

Hello,

Fairly new to the driver scene, so please bear with me.

I have a new ASUS laptop with an Atheros AR928X adapter. I have no trouble with signal strength where I am, but the internet seems quite slow. I am close to the router but I notice lag, high latency and slow speeds when loading websites, streaming media on Youtube or playing online games. I heard that updating the driver can help performance, so I am here looking for a newer version, which I found. But... will that suffice? Should I be tweaking something else, instead?

Would the modded drivers be better for this, increasing throughput and bandwidth? Is that a better option?

Also, the adapter seems to run only in 11b and seems to have no option to switch to 11g, despite the description claiming that it is capable of 11g.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gregory

Running 11b your issue is your router, check here first.

11b = 11Mbps

11g or a = 54Mbps

11n= 300Mbps

11b = slow depending on what kind of internet you have

Guest Gregory

Thanks.

However, I have another adapter that I purchased. It's an external Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11 b/g, and when this one is connected, I get the 11g connectivity with the same router. Do you think upgrading to the v7.7.0.396 driver would help the problem? Are the v8 series drivers more recommended than the v7 ones?

You can try, I doubt it.

11n was added way back with v7 drivers so 11g was already well established by then

You have a major issue somewhere that is not driver related.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same issue with ubuntu 9.10 and my ASUS g71 with the AR928X. I can connect, but everything is very very slow. I'm poking around trying to find a solution and I'm not having much luck. I've installed the wicd network manager based on a posting and that didn't seem to improve anything.

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

However, I have another adapter that I purchased. It's an external Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11 b/g, and when this one is connected, I get the 11g connectivity with the same router. Do you think upgrading to the v7.7.0.396 driver would help the problem? Are the v8 series drivers more recommended than the v7 ones?

You should upgrade to the latest v8 drivers as well as upgrade your router firmware.