LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I'm searching for a GeForce FX 5200 Go Windows 7 driver

Jochen

Hello,

I'm searching for a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Go driver for Windows 7. I tried misc drivers. For example the 19562_win7x32 Setup and and an INF File Ver. 4.014 (nv_disp.inf)from the laptopvideo2go website. The installation runs, but unfortunatley a yellow exclamation point appears in the Windows devie manager.

My hardware: Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Go (64 MB) video chip.

Thanks in advance

Regards from Germany

Jochen

LSudlow is the FX 5200 man, check here what works with Win7, no recent driver does:

Thanks, Zipper.

Jochen, unfortunately, Nvidia dropped Vista/W7 support for the FX series after the 98.xx drivers, so they're the most recent you can use and still get full Aero Glass support. Try 98.13, which can be found here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/14037-v9813-vista-32bit-sony/

Aero depends on your onboard VRAM. If you have less than 128MB on your video card, you'll be limited to 1024x786 resolution, but it should work fine.

If you don't need Aero Glass, you can use XP drivers up through the 175 drivers. Nvidia dropped support for the FX series after that.

Thanks, ojojoj, it's worth a try! I've always suspected there might be indidual drivers that work, but haven't had time to go through them all.

Jochen, you'll find the 156.73 Vista driver and the modded inf here:

Please let us know how it works. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had success using Vista Forceware 158.18 & 163.11 with Win7 on a P4 with a Geforce FX 5900XT. Newer sets did not work, including 174.xx & 175.xx that were reputed to work. I haven't tried them all, however... Omega's modded inf Vista drivers (169.09) also did not work. I've been happy with 163.11 & ntune 5.50.54.00 (I hate Nvidia System Tools). The mods are trivial:

nv_disp.inf

[NVIDIA.Mfg.NTx86.6.0]
%NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0332.1%  = nv_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0332   ;5900XT

[strings]
; Localizable Strings
NVIDIA_NV35.DEV_0332.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT" 

modes.txt

[nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]

// 0332 - NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900XT

The results:

nvidia2.th.png

Tips: Don't use setup.exe to install. (Setting to compat/admin mode doesn't fix Dev ID check routine). Install manually via Device Manager using the have disk option. You'll need to disable driver signing for 64-bit OSes. Hope this is of use.

Great tip, Steen. Thanks!

:)