LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GT 330M Windows XP Drivers

Guest Kamar244

Guest Kamar244

I'm desperately looking for Windows XP-32 drivers for the nvidia GT330M chipset that came embedded on my sony Viao VPCF11 series notebook

Any help would be greatly appreaciated

The GT330M is in the laptopvideo2go modded INF.

Please read the FAQ.

Guest kamar244

The GT330M is in the laptopvideo2go modded INF.

Please read the FAQ.

I tried several version, ones the driver is loaded, after system reboot, the screen turns black.

After starting xp again in VGA, mode I can see the GT330M beeing installed. As soon as I change the resulion on the screen from 640x480 to anything else, screen turns black again. Looks like the actual driver doesn't realy support the GT330M chipset, and that it's only the .inf that made it to install.

Have you 188.29?

Vaio's are notoriously fussy though.

Nvidia always states with their direct releases that "Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks.)"

Have you 188.29?

Vaio's are notoriously fussy though.

Nvidia always states with their direct releases that "Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks.)"

The 188.29 is not for windows XP, but for 7/vista (32 and 64 variants). Already had tried the 188.09 from that link, but it doesn't install "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit", same goes for version 188.36.

The versions that do install but give me the black screen are 196.21 and 194.34

Sorry, yeah I meant the XP one in that page which is 188.09.

If you go into control panel and device manager, have a look under the properties for your card under display adapters.

If you go to details and select hardware Ids. Copy and paste what it says over here please.

This could be a Sony thing for which if they don't release an XP driver you're stuck, but post that info and we'll see what's possible.

Guest kamar244

Thanks for the efforts Galdere, it unfortunately doesn't work :)

Same problem as with some of the versions I tried before. Screen turns black after the windows xp splash sreen.

So what does this mean ? that I can forget about ever getting this notebook to work in windows xp ? I already tried Sony support to ask for a driver, but they bluntly turned me down, "sorry not supported os, bye". Don't have high hope Sony is ever going to release a XP driver for it :)

Whoops I was supposed to be making that for 188.09. Ahh sleep deprivation. I'll do it again in a bit when I'm able to.

In the meantime you could try updating your intel chipset drivers.

(or you could just try it already)

Guest kamar244

oops, I think I cheered a bit too early.

I worked a bit with the pc with the new drivers and all seemed to work fine.

Then I rebooted the pc, for the first time, and after the xp splash screen turned black again. (similar to what I had with the other drivers I tried)

Did some more testing, and basicaly the driver works for the first time the pc is booted with that driver. So everytime I boot the pc in vga mode, un-install the installed driver, install the modified version you made me again, and at first boot it works fine. Then just shutdown, and reboot, screen turns black after the xp splash screen.

OK. While I have a look at what else is possible, you can try this if you like.

Download driver sweeper. There is a link here:

Uninstall the existing driver in the VGA mode and then reboot.

When your laptop is starting up keep pressing F8 again and select to go into safe mode.

Run the driver sweeper and get rid of the remnants of the graphics driver.

Proceed to install the driver I gave you whilst still in safe mode.

It probably won't work tbh, but it's something to do while I stop cursing VAIOs to have a think about it.

What don't you like about Windows 7? :)

It's quite probable this won't even install, as it's hard to experiment from here, but worth a go anyway.

You should try what I said in the previous post first.

http://rapidshare.com/files/348956181/kamar244v2.zip.html

Also, I should have asked already, what is your native resolution and the complete model number of your laptop?

Guest kamar244

Ok here some update,

Started in safe mode, did the driver cleaner, and re-installed the drivers, again it worked on the first boot, on the second boot had again the black screen problem. Don't how the nvidia drivers work, but it looks like some config is saved when the system shuts down, with some wrong info causing it to restart in a bad mode the next time you start.

Just for your info, the machine actually runs, it's not that the notebook hangs on the second boot. On the black screen, I can enter my password, and I can hear the windows startup sound, even the shutdown works properly.

V2 driver, does install, but it doesn't work, screen is set to 640x480 4 bit mode, and when you check the screen settings it says the driver is not loaded as it is for a previous version of windows, and the nvidia controls are not running.

Native resolution of this viao is : 1920x1080, from design and specs it's realy awesome and it runs great in Windows 7

I like windows 7, nothing wrong with that. I even have the machine in dual boot 7/XP. The problem is that I need to run some business application that unfortunately do not run under windows 7 (also not in compatibility mode) :) And sinds microsoft has extended it's support for windows XP till 2014, the company I work for has postponed it's migration plan till 2012....

Just thinking about something. Since I have dual boot, the XP is installed on "D" drive. Could that be causing the issue ?

It is possible yes.

Well I should maybe go back and look at something different and/or in between the two versions ive messed about with anyway, but I just want to say one word first that would probably be a better solution anyway - virtualization.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Guest kamar244

ok, just to make sure, we're not chasing a ghost. Done a clean install from windows xp. intel drivers updated etc..

Intalled your modded 188.36 verion, and again it only worked on first boot after installing the drivers. So I think something is changing in the settings/config when you shut down the machine making it not boot the second time.

Guest kamar244

LoL actually found out what's happening.

When the notebook screen turns black, it actually enables the external vga port on the notebook. Connected an external screen, and got the image there.

Then via the nvidia control pannel, can enable the laptop screen again, use dual screen / clone or extend mode.

Unfortunately every time I reboot, it looses default/primary display settings, I choose.

Unfortunately every time I reboot, it looses default/primary display settings, I choose.

Some drivers misbehave so - there should be the lines to the inf somewhere in this site - can't remember where, something about external as primary. Or try another driver perhaps.

OK, found this:

[nv_commonBase_addreg__01]

HKR,,DualViewAllow2ndViewAsPrimary,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,,DualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,,DualViewHotKeyPolicy,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,,DualViewMobile,%REG_DWORD%,2

HKR,,DualViewPolicyID,%REG_DWORD%,2

[nv_commonBase_addreg__02]

HKR,,DualViewAllow2ndViewAsPrimary,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,,DualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,,DualViewHotKeyPolicy,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKR,,DualViewMobile,%REG_DWORD%,2

HKR,,DualViewPolicyID,%REG_DWORD%,2

[nv_controlPanel_addreg__01]

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NvCplDualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NvCplDualviewMoveDesktopIcons,%REG_DWORD%,1

[nv_controlPanel_addreg__02]

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NvCplDualViewAllowNonDFPAsPrimary,%REG_DWORD%,1

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",NvCplDualviewMoveDesktopIcons,%REG_DWORD%,1

Guest kamar244

Thanks for the info.

I'm not 100% sure how to modify the .ini as the version I'm using looks a bit different.

So I added the lines to the .ini, and re-installed the driver. Unfortunately it didn't realy work

Thanks Zip.

Sorry, I was going to alter it when he first posted, but rapidshare wasnt letting me get at the older one id made.

Here we go again then:

http://rapidshare.com/files/349388121/kamar244v3.zip.html