LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware M5550i-R3 with HD3650 512mb?

mourningstar

I have a Alienware M5550i-R3 with a ati x1400 currently working properly no defects, I bought a HD3650 512MB from ebay because it the compatibility chart from mxm said it would work fine. However, when I got the card I installed it properly and I can turn on the laptop but it shuts down in about 5-10 seconds. I have tried the 2.07 and 2.06 alienware bios with no success, but i plug in the old video card and it works fine.

I have browsed the forums about this and seen some say it doesn't work, and I see others claiming success. I just want it to be addressed in this thread.

Is this card not compatible with my laptop or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Edit: Before it restarts I can see the Alienware BIOS loading screen, but it never completes before a restart.

Edited by mourningstar

Anyone have any insight on this problem?

Also, the search forum feature is incredibly broken so no help there

I have a Alienware M5550i-R3 with a ati x1400 currently working properly no defects, I bought a HD3650 512MB from ebay because it the compatibility chart from mxm said it would work fine. However, when I got the card I installed it properly and I can turn on the laptop but it shuts down in about 5-10 seconds. I have tried the 2.07 and 2.06 alienware bios with no success, but i plug in the old video card and it works fine.

I have browsed the forums about this and seen some say it doesn't work, and I see others claiming success. I just want it to be addressed in this thread.

Is this card not compatible with my laptop or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Edit: Before it restarts I can see the Alienware BIOS loading screen, but it never completes before a restart.

I estimate (not for sure...) that only the 256MB model of the HD3650 works in your M5550 (and the other Uniwill P53)

I think i've read this somewhere...

the 512 MB model isn't listed in the compatibility chart!

• 2 months later...

so your 100% sure the 256 DDR3 version will work?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Duffcore

I can tellyou this. I have a Alienware M5500i-R3 and my go7600 card went bad. I bought a 512mb 8600m gs and had this same problem. I took it back out and the second time I put it in I used new thermal transfer pads and now it boots right up and stays on. Now my problem is drivers. I am running 2.06 bios and this card is listed compatable at the mxmupgrade site and every driver I try to install says it cant find acompatable device. But it stays on forever with win7 64bit

• 1 month later...
Guest 12055

I also have an m5550i-R3 that I have successfully loaded up with an 8600m, GT 512MB. The driver issue is tricky, but I solved it by downloading the latest for windows vista ultimate from laptopvideo2go (I have Vista Ult), and unzipping it to a place I could find it. Then, go to display settings/ advanced/ adapter properties/ driver/ update driver/ browse my computer for driver/ pick the unzipped folder location/ and select the only file it reads/ and select Geforce 9200 from the list. That stabilized my system, Crysis runs great (for a laptop), and everything's just fine.

-Ross

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SPAWN

Hello just to say i ve got a M5500ir3 running great with a ATI3650 256DDR3 ...but the 512 does not boot my laptops...

Before i ve a 8600GS 512 but crash all the time and now it s over everybody knows that serie is crappy

Now with ATI works like a charm

Guest bimboy56

Hello just to say i ve got a M5500ir3 running great with a ATI3650 256DDR3 ...but the 512 does not boot my laptops...

Before i ve a 8600GS 512 but crash all the time and now it s over everybody knows that serie is crappy

Now with ATI works like a charm

Hi there, M5550 user here so basically its still a M5500r3. My 7600 was screwed(which is not surprising with those card lines). Now im thinking of upgrading to ATI HD3650 256MB DDR3 MXM-II, my question is, during the mounting of your GPU, did you have to Mod some of the thermal pad/heat Sink? or just mount the 3650 and use it asap?

Im just wondering if my 7600Go MXM-II is the same dimension as the HD3650 so no Modding of heatsinks will be done(im a noob at those).

How about your temperatures? I may consider using Notebook Hardware Control if temps are bad(it didnt work for 7600).

Thank you :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How did you guys get the card secured? there are no fastening anchors on the hd3650?

i second that question.

sorry for the double post, this is to the OP: IT restarts because it doesnt have a good contact between the heatsink and the core. try to stack 2 heatpads and report back. i am sure it will work.