LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

EDIT 4/13/2010: So far we have Optimus confirmed to be at least partially working on the new Vaio Z, M11x & UL80VT (UL30VT & UL50VT should work also).

Current Issues:

New Vaio Z (VPCZ11): There is a delay when first booting and when restoring from Sleep/Hibernate.

New Vaio Z (VPCZ11), M11x, & UL80VT: Nvidia Confidential Overlay Text, Issues with fully powering down the Nvidia portion.

I will be posting some things to try soon to fix these issues. Thank you to ZoinksS2k, Sedlo, Jpskidmore, Fnord0 and many others here and at NotebookReview for making this all possible. Sorry for the lack of updates as I have been extremely busy trying to finish up the Hybrid Graphics Master Set and attempting to get 197 working properly with both Optimus and Hybrid Graphics. Thank you all for your patience.

--

When the new Vaio Z was announced many were disappointed to find out that it featured Dynamic Hybrid Graphics rather than the newly announced (and superior) Optimus technology. I have done a lot of research of Hybrid Graphics in the past and Optimus sounded similar. Nvidias technical documentation on Optimus mentions the GeForce 200M, 300M and Fermi GPUs having the proper hardware features that makes Optimus possible.

The new Vaio Z features an integrated “Intel HD” GPU and a “GeForce GT 330M” and that’s when my hunch started. ZoinksS2k on another forum received his new Vaio Z and started posting “unboxing photos” and a lot of testing information. I contacted him to see if he would like to test my hunch of Optimus on the new Vaio Z. He agreed and started on his way.

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS STILL IN EARLY TESTING. IF YOU INSTALL OPTIMUS BASED ON THESE INSTRUCTIONS, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS IS FOR THE NEW VPNZ11 MODEL VAIO Z NOT THE OLD VGNZ.

Important things to note:

1.) Booting or restoring from Sleep/Hibernation takes 30 seconds to almost a minute longer than usual.

2.) The 'Dynamic Hybrid Graphics Switch' no longer functions. (of course)

3.) There is an overlay on 3d stating “Optimus demonstration - Nvidia confidential – Not for release or distribution”.

The boot/sleep/hibernate delay is most likely due to invalid configuration settings. We are working on figuring out the correct ones and removing the overlay.

How to install:

(Windows 7 required of course.)

1.) Switched the Dynamic Hybrid Graphics switch to SPEED. (This is to make sure both Intel & Nvidia devices are active and visible.)

2.) Uninstalled the Graphics drivers. (Uninstalling the ‘Nvidia Drivers’ using Programs and Features should sufficiently uninstall both.)

3212010121937pm.jpg

3.) Downloaded and installed Standard Intel Drivers for ‘Intel HD’. (Version 2086 - 32bit - 64bit)

3212010122406pm.jpg

4.) Downloaded the latest Optimus drivers. (Version 189.42 - 32bit | 64bit)

5.) Modded the INF adding the GeForce GT 330M strings for the Vaio Z. (Note: My custom modified INF for testing attached below.)

Under [b][NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] add
%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01% = Section070, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D

Under [strings] at the bottom add
NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M"

6.) Installed the modded Nvidia Optimus drivers.

7.) Rebooted.

The Results:

Nvidia Control Panel (Note the overlay)

3212010123820pm.jpg

Nvidia Control Panel - 3d Settings

3212010123842pm.jpg

Optimus Context Menu

322201081646am.jpg

3d Application (Note the overlay)

322201082840am.jpg

ZoinksS2k has already accomplished a ton with the new Vaio Z and credit for confirmed functionality and testing and the screenshots above goes to him. Custom modded Optimus INF for 189.42 attached below.

The Notebook models added to the INF are:

GPU Name                 Brand    Model
 -----------------------  -------  ----------------
 NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT  BenQ     Joybook S42
 NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT  Fujitsu  Amilo XI 3650
 NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M   Acer     Aspire 5935G
 NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS  Sony     Vaio Z (Old VGN)
 NVIDIA GeForce G105M     Asus     UX50V
 NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   Sony     Vaio Z (New VPC)
 NVIDIA GeForce G210M     Asus     UL30VT
 NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M   Dell     Alienware M11x
-----------------------------------------------------

I assume only the UL30VT, Alienware M11x and new Vaio Z will work but the other hybrid graphics notebooks have been included for those who may want to try it.

--

The Optimus Test Tools have finally made it public.

Optimus Tools 64bit

Optimus Tools 32bit

Huge thanks to Darmach for pointing these out.

189.42_OPTIMUS_TEST_INFs.zip

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Updated the post above with instructions and INF and screenshots.

Can this work on older hybrid laptop such as S42???

I doubt it as the S42 has a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT GPU. Optimus is a hardware & software thing and only 200m GPUs and up seem to have the correct hardware function. If you want to test this for proof that it does not work on the S42. The proper strings are included in the INF below so you can try it if you wish.

I will be releasing new Hybrid Graphics drivers which will work with the S42.

cn u upload inf for 32 bit?? i cant install it...

You don't install INFs :)

You place the INF in the driver folder replacing the original.

Then run setup or update driver in device manager.

You don't install INFs :)

You place the INF in the driver folder replacing the original.

Then run setup or update driver in device manager.

I think he meant I forgot to attach the 32bit INF :). Both 64bit and 32bit INFs are now attached in a zip file.

I would love to get some people testing this. There are still a couple of issues that need to be sorted out.

Guest Benq S42 user

I think he meant I forgot to attach the 32bit INF :). Both 64bit and 32bit INFs are now attached in a zip file.

I would love to get some people testing this. There are still a couple of issues that need to be sorted out.

Hahah... yup... i meant the inf for 32 bit.. Thank u so much.. gonna try it (even if it doesnt~ XD)

Joybook S42 (W7 x64) - Drivers install, both graphics cards are active but only the Intel card will do anything.

No Optimus Context Menu seems to be present.

Edited by namaiki

Joybook S42 (W7 x64) - Drivers install, both graphics cards are active but only the Intel card will do anything.

No Optimus Context Menu seems to be present.

Both are present and active? The Nvidia device does not have an error?

There may be a few other settings to try but I doubt it will work due to the older GPUs not having the copy process needed.

Thanks for the instructions and the mod inf file. I installed on My m11x... works well. I have a question... Will the Nvidia GPU automatically switch on 3D apps/games or I have to configure each under the Nvidia Control Panel? Once again... thanks for your hard work!

Thanks for the instructions and the mod inf file. I installed on My m11x... works well. I have a question... Will the Nvidia GPU automatically switch on 3D apps/games or I have to configure each under the Nvidia Control Panel? Once again... thanks for your hard work!

This is one of the problems with optimus on a non-native optimus notebook. It is difficult to tell if it is working since we do not have the test tool that most reviewers received. If it is indeed working correctly you should see stuff like in "The Results" above. (Look for the Optimus Demonstration overlay text.) If it is working correctly it should all be a seamless and automatic switch to the Nvidia GPU.

You can always try the a test like they do with 3dmarks in the video or do your own by using the "Right Click - Optimus Context Menu" and forcing a 3d application to run using Integrated graphics and then try it again using High Performance.

If this does indeed work for you then you will be the first to confirm Optimus working on the M11x.

There may be a few other settings to try but I doubt it will work due to the older GPUs not having the copy process needed.

From what I've seen when the nvidia card is not active, clocks are reported as 100 or 200Mhz(can't remember which) but here they were reported as the usual 500Mhz.

Edited by namaiki

Guest renstory

is there anyway to make the copy process to be made into software processes?

This is one of the problems with optimus on a non-native optimus notebook. It is difficult to tell if it is working since we do not have the test tool that most reviewers received. If it is indeed working correctly you should see stuff like in "The Results" above. (Look for the Optimus Demonstration overlay text.) If it is working correctly it should all be a seamless and automatic switch to the Nvidia GPU.

You can always try the a test like they do with 3dmarks in the video or do your own by using the "Right Click - Optimus Context Menu" and forcing a 3d application to run using Integrated graphics and then try it again using High Performance.

If this does indeed work for you then you will be the first to confirm Optimus working on the M11x.

My bad... I didn't checked the "Gloable Setting". The driver works well... it switchs to the Nvidia GPU when I play COD MW2. Once again, thanks for the hard work.

From what I've seen when the nvidia card is not active, clocks are reported as 100 or 200Mhz(can't remember which) but here they were reported as the usual 500Mhz.

it play 3d game, is run nvidia gpu or intel gpu??it run nvidia gpu, i will use this driver, it not i wait the new nautis driver

Edited by ZeroCooL

Guest ancient

Nautis1100, Samsung R480/R580/R780 have GT310m/GT330m, and as well as VAIO it has also this INTEL GPU (the one inside Core i3/i5/i7)...

...at the moment, there is no Intel Gpu card visible... yet, I think you may know the answer how to change this state :)

Much obliged

it play 3d game, is run nvidia gpu or intel gpu??it run nvidia gpu, i will use this driver, it not i wait the new nautis driver

Intel.

My M11x is being delivered on Monday... would you like a tester? I plan to fiddle around before wiping and reinstalling from scratch, so would be happy to run any benchmarks etc for you.....

My M11x is being delivered on Monday... would you like a tester? I plan to fiddle around before wiping and reinstalling from scratch, so would be happy to run any benchmarks etc for you.....

More confirmation on Optimus working on the M11x would be great.

Hi Nautis,

could you, please, add Asus UL80VT to the INF (64bit)?

I would like to try it then.

Let me know, if I can help you somehow :-)

ZoinksS2k has already accomplished a ton with the new Vaio Z and credit for confirmed functionality and testing and the screenshots above goes to him. Custom modded Optimus INF for 189.42 attached below.

The Notebook models added to the INF are:

GPU Name                 Brand    Model
 -----------------------  -------  ----------------
 NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT  BenQ     Joybook S42
 NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M   Acer     Aspire 5935G
 NVIDIA GeForce G105M     Asus     UX50V
 NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M   Sony     Vaio Z (New VPC)
 NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M   Dell     Alienware M11x
-----------------------------------------------------

I assume only the UL30VT, Alienware M11x and new Vaio Z will work but the other hybrid graphics notebooks have been included for those who may want to try it.

Edited by Sedlo

Hello Nautis,

I have successfully tried it on Asus UL80VT and Windows 7 64bit :-)

Both cards are active and I tried Furmark to see the difference in performance.

However I needed to confirm installation of unsigned drivers, what is a known issue on Vista/Win7 64bit.

There are two problems remaining:

1.) remove the overlay in 3D (strange that the overlay is not shown when running Furmark...)

2.) switching off the unused card... because I have a feeling that both are always enabled

I hope it helps

If you have any questions, or I could help you in some way, please, let me know :)

Hi Nautis,

could you, please, add Asus UL80VT to the INF (64bit)?

I would like to try it then.

Let me know, if I can help you somehow :-)

I have attached an alpha 197.16 x64 Windows 7 INF. It may not work at first, if not please explain in detail what happened. Make sure to delete all existing INFs besides the attached one before installing.

EDIT: No more late night modding for me. I have corrected the above information for 197.16. This INF is for the new 197.16 drivers released not 197.13. Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT2: INF DELETED