LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA Geforce/ION 256.25 driver released

mobilenvidia

Here are the first official NVIDIA 256 drivers.

BUT for non Windows OS's only :)

NVIDIA Geforce/ION 256.25 Linux 32bit

NVIDIA Geforce/ION 256.25 Linux 64bit

NVIDIA Geforce/ION 256.25 Solaris

NVIDIA Geforce/ION 256.25 FreeBSD

RELEASE HIGHLIGHTS

Added unofficial GLX protocol support (i.e., for GLX indirect rendering) for the following OpenGL extensions:

GL_ARB_blend_func_extended

GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend

GL_ARB_sample_shading

GL_ARB_timer_query

GL_EXT_draw_buffers2

GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects

GL_NV_explicit_multisample

GL_NV_transform_feedback

Improved Thermal Settings reporting in nvidia-settings to accurately reflect hardware configurations with multiple thermal sensors.

Fixed an interaction problem between Compiz and 'screen-scraping' VNC servers like x11vnc and vino that caused the screen to stop updating. Fixes Launchpad bug #353126.

Enhanced VDPAU to add basic support for Xinerama. VDPAU will now operate on a single physical X screen under Xinerama. See the README for more details.

Enhanced VDPAU's handling of corrupt clips of all formats on GPUs with VDPAU feature set C to be at least as good as on GPUs with VDPAU feature set B. This significantly improves various clips provided by nvnews.net user eamiller.

Fixed a bug in Xv attribute handling that caused hue, saturation,brightness, and contrast values to be misapplied when using an Xv overlay adaptor.

Fixed a bug in the XvMC driver that prevented it from working on systems with AGP graphics cards.

Enhanced VDPAU to clear all VdpVideoSurfaces to black when allocated.This provides more consistent results when using a surface as a reference when no prior decode operation has written to that surface. In turn, this improves the results of decoding some corrupt streams, such as "p_only_no_play" from ffmpeg bug 1124.

Implemented new APIs to allow sharing VDPAU surfaces with OpenGL and CUDA. The OpenGL extension is GL_NV_vdpau_interop. For CUDA, please see the documentation in the CUDA toolkit for details.

Worked around a bug where the combination of a GPU with VDPAU feature set A together with specific motherboard chipsets could cause visible corruption when decoding some MPEG-2 streams

Fixed a bug that prevented the VDPAU overlay-based presentation queue from being used more than a few hundred times per X server invocation.

Renamed the driver file libGLcore.so.VERSION to libnvidia-glcore.so.VERSION, as a small step towards reducing the filename collisions between NVIDIA's and MESA's OpenGL implementations.This driver file is used by NVIDIA's libGL.so and libglx.so, and should never be used directly by applications.

Changed the SONAME of libnvidia-glcore.so.VERSION, libnvidia-tls.so.VERSION, and libnvidia-compiler.so.VERSION to be ".so.VERSION", rather than ".so.1".These driver files are only used by other NVIDIA driver components, and are only intended to be used by components of the matching NVIDIA driver version.

Removed the "-pkg#" suffix from the NVIDIA Linux .run files.The packages are now simply named "NVIDIA-Linux-ARCH-VERSION.run".On Linux-x86_64, a package which omits the32-bit compatibility libraries is also available: "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-VERSION-no-compat32.run"

Simplified the directory structure of the Linux extracted package; most driver files are now just contained within the top level directory of the package.Pass the '--list' option to the .run file for details.

Removed precompiled kernel interfaces from the NVIDIA Linux-x86 .run file; these were ancient and had not been updated in years.Going forward, NVIDIA does not plan to provide precompiled kernel interfaces with the Linux .run files.However, nvidia-installer and the .run file will retain the ability for users to add their own precompiled kernel interfaces via the '--add-this-kernel' .run file option.

Compressed the nvidia-settings, nvidia-installer, and nvidia-xconfig tarballs with bzip2, rather than gzip.

No one can say NV didn't release 256 drivers

I read the title and went "oh shi-", but as I read on I saw, "BUT for non Windows OS's only". I have to say I cried, hard.

Did I cruely raise hopes to be crushed like a bug with the 'BUT' :)

Sorry a little out of the loop, but can anyone tell me why these drivers are so hyped?

What drivers that is the whole issue :)

256 drivers are basically going to bring us DX11 (well those with 400 series GPU's) and other goodies.

All in reality just a load of hype to get keep the gravy train moving.

ahhh that's annoying, hope the windows ones come shortly. There's a x64 linux? When I picture linux all I see if command prompts and stuff compiling....has linux actually improved? i.e. more user friendly? sorry for OT.

Guest nobody

Only wanted to say that the nvidia homepage states these drivers as released on the 21st May.

And its only 01:.. o clock in the moring at their company headquaters so we can still hope for them to be released today for windows.

Only wanted to say that the nvidia homepage states these drivers as released on the 21st May.

And its only 01:.. o clock in the moring at their company headquaters so we can still hope for them to be released today for windows.

Yes the website does say 21st but they released them only today.

Here in NZ it's 8:25pm

American Samoa it's not even 24th yet, so there is still about 27 hours of 24th left :)

Guest sporadic_visitor

What drivers that is the whole issue :)

256 drivers are basically going to bring us DX11 (well those with 400 series GPU's) and other goodies.

All in reality just a load of hype to get keep the gravy train moving.

Thanks, meant these as in the 256 series drivers, which were actually announced a good amount of time before being actually released.

So basically... this is just another (hopefully good) release for my old 8400M? XD