LaptopVideo2Go Forums

slow speed Atheros AR9285

Guest robbedoes

Guest robbedoes

Hi Guys,

I've bought a 1201AH with an Atheros 9285 inside. The past two weeks i'm following your forum. It's great.

I really hope someone can help me out with the following problem that's unsolved by me so far. It's frustrating.

The transfer/speed of the AR9285 is very difficult to get above 65 Mbs. Only one time it was possible to get it at 150 Mbs, as it should (i have a Netgear WDR 3700 N-router). I don't know how that time it was at 150 Mbs. I tried very different drivers from this forum, original and modded. Also tried the drivers from MS, Nothing seems to get higher then 65. I've also tried very different options in the modded versions (in the right way by un-installing, etc., etc., etc.), also no result to get it at 150. I'm endless now........please help what to do...

Thanks in advance

I hope you are getting the connection speed from the Computer not the router.

As the router speed will vary with throughput.

If you are read on, if not get the connection speed from the 'Wireless Network Connection' right click 'status'

The AR9285 should work with what ever it is given from the router.

There are of course things that can make issues in getting 11n to work.

On the router make sure:

You need to use WPA2

Have 11n set to allow

40Mhz channel width needs to also be set/enabled

That is really it.

The Atheros drivers for the WLAN card have everything set to allow 11n (150/300Mbps) by default.

You need not change anything (unlike Intel WLAN drivers)

The AR9285 max speed is 150Mbps, I'm not sure what the chipset of your router is, but you should be getting at least 135Mbps

Guest Robbedoes33

I hope you are getting the connection speed from the Computer not the router.

As the router speed will vary with throughput.

If you are read on, if not get the connection speed from the 'Wireless Network Connection' right click 'status'

The AR9285 should work with what ever it is given from the router.

There are of course things that can make issues in getting 11n to work.

On the router make sure:

You need to use WPA2

Have 11n set to allow

40Mhz channel width needs to also be set/enabled

That is really it.

The Atheros drivers for the WLAN card have everything set to allow 11n (150/300Mbps) by default.

You need not change anything (unlike Intel WLAN drivers)

The AR9285 max speed is 150Mbps, I'm not sure what the chipset of your router is, but you should be getting at least 135Mbps

Thanks for the fast reply ! The throughput of the PC (WHS-system) is good. In a wired situation i have a throughput of 60 Mb/s. Note: the server has a wired connection to the router from there to the netbook is wireless. So I think there is no problem with this setting.

- WPA2 = ok

- set 11n = don't have that option, only automatic or b/g. There is something with Adhoc 11n i don't understand

- 40Mhz = how do i set this on the router. I have no such option in the menu of the router (Netgear WDR3700)??

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sledge

Hi Guys,

I've bought a 1201AH with an Atheros 9285 inside. The past two weeks i'm following your forum. It's great.

I really hope someone can help me out with the following problem that's unsolved by me so far. It's frustrating.

The transfer/speed of the AR9285 is very difficult to get above 65 Mbs. Only one time it was possible to get it at 150 Mbs, as it should (i have a Netgear WDR 3700 N-router). I don't know how that time it was at 150 Mbs. I tried very different drivers from this forum, original and modded. Also tried the drivers from MS, Nothing seems to get higher then 65. I've also tried very different options in the modded versions (in the right way by un-installing, etc., etc., etc.), also no result to get it at 150. I'm endless now........please help what to do...

Thanks in advance

I am having the same problem with a Sony Vaio and it s beyond annoying.

Thanks for the fast reply ! The throughput of the PC (WHS-system) is good. In a wired situation i have a throughput of 60 Mb/s. Note: the server has a wired connection to the router from there to the netbook is wireless. So I think there is no problem with this setting.

- WPA2 = ok

- set 11n = don't have that option, only automatic or b/g. There is something with Adhoc 11n i don't understand

- 40Mhz = how do i set this on the router. I have no such option in the menu of the router (Netgear WDR3700)??

AR9285 card is 802.11n capable as well as your router. Set your router to N protocol, the option is there. The speed will improve greatly.

AR9285 card is 802.11n capable as well as your router. Set your router to N protocol, the option is there. The speed will improve greatly.

I have also just got a Sony Vaio W12S netbook and have the same issue where the connection speed is displayed as 65.0Mbps the driver beeing the current atheros 8.0.0.238 which is from the Sony Vaio update site, I have a Linksys 610N router and have tried both 20mhz and 40mhz channel width options, I also have an Apple Airport express which also seems to connect at the 65mbps, the driver may just be displaying the wrong speed, I can only think the driver needs to be improved. Has anyone asked Sony about this?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest straybeat

Robbedoes,

If you are the handy type go to DD-WRT and download the latest firmware they have for your router and flash it;

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

It opens up all of the options your router is capable of and then some.

The usual caveat applies though; do this at your own risk, if you brick your router, I'm not responsible.

• 3 months later...

I also have the same problem with this card. Like to OP i tried all the drivers on this forum and fiddled with the settings on the router (also the WDR3700) i cant seem to get the speed past 4MB/s. Definatly something up with the drivers and/or wireless N compatibility of the AR9285

• 3 months later...

Same exact problem here, using a Samsung R530 Laptop with Atheros 9285 and latest modded driver. Router=Netgear WNDR3700v2. I'm going crazy! Shows 65Mbit in status Window no matter what. Router n-enabled on 2.4 GHZ with WPA2-encryption.

What the heck is the problem? When running speed tests towards internet I get similar results being 10 meters away from router as when I'm one centimeter away (never exceeds 45Mbit on my 100Mbit cable connection). Wired connection no problems whatsoever. Please help us out. This seems to be a problem experienced by many users.

Thanks in advance. :)

Same exact problem here, using a Samsung R530 Laptop with Atheros 9285 and latest modded driver. Router=Netgear WNDR3700v2. I'm going crazy! Shows 65Mbit in status Window no matter what. Router n-enabled on 2.4 GHZ with WPA2-encryption.

What the heck is the problem? When running speed tests towards internet I get similar results being 10 meters away from router as when I'm one centimeter away (never exceeds 45Mbit on my 100Mbit cable connection). Wired connection no problems whatsoever. Please help us out. This seems to be a problem experienced by many users.

Thanks in advance. :)

Quoting my self as the problem, for me at least, seems to be "solved" as I also wrote here. Grabbing desperate measures I turned my router-wired printer (HP Photosmart 2575 series) off. Then turned my router off and back on after approx. 30 seconds.

And VOILA! From having maximum speeds towards internet around 45Mbit/s (I have 100Mbit maximum) I now achieve speeds up to about 96Mbit/s even when sitting 24-26 feet from my router. Dunno though if I ever dare turning my printer on again... Seems like even attached wired equipment affects speed on wireless devices... Hope this can be of any help to at least some people. :)