LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m GT low frame rates

theflexmaster

I've been experiencing low frame rates in Modern Warfare 2 and other such games that i play. I'm currently on a MBP Dual core 2.5 4gbs Ram NVidia 8600m GT 512 mb. Since this is a mac, i run it with boot camp, but have recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and the problems started. Prior to this, i had been using 32 bit without any issues. When i first installed 64 bit I installed he 195.62 drivers from the nvidia site, and didn't have any problems. After a few days, the low frame rates occurred, and it's been very troublesome. Reinstalling the drivers seemed to work some of the times, but I'm not sure what it is. I've tried the drivers directly from the boot camp cd and that doesn't help it as well as the latest drivers from nvidia. I know my computer allows 64 bit on windows 7, but i'm not so sure of what to do. During gameplay my GPU runs about 60 C and 45 C idling, so i'm not thinking it's a heat issue. If anyone could help me or direct to me some I'd be eternally grateful. Oh and yes all the graphics are turned completely down to dog meat yet i know my gpu allows for much higher res than i'm trying to play.

THANKS

Guest alliao

first i'd install gpu-z to monitor your clockrates.. make sure it doesn't downclock for whatever reason..

then i'd look at nvidia's settings, maybe you've turned it all the way up to "Quality" in which case it'd be slow indeed..

third have a temperature monitor which tells you the "peak" values it detected.. my laptop goes up to 97 degrees, but by the time i exited from games, it'd be in the 70's region fairly quickly.

Given it's a mac a year or two old, i wouldn't be surprised to find heatsink's filled with dust..

Guest kutz, frailed

first i'd install gpu-z to monitor your clockrates.. make sure it doesn't downclock for whatever reason..

then i'd look at nvidia's settings, maybe you've turned it all the way up to "Quality" in which case it'd be slow indeed..

third have a temperature monitor which tells you the "peak" values it detected.. my laptop goes up to 97 degrees, but by the time i exited from games, it'd be in the 70's region fairly quickly.

Given it's a mac a year or two old, i wouldn't be surprised to find heatsink's filled with dust..

I've actually recently just opened her up and dedusted her (including the heatsink and reapplication of the awful job of thermal paste that was perviously on it). So i'm pretty sure it's not that. I'll check to see if it's on quality, i didn't consider that at all.

Thanks for the response!

• 3 weeks later...

So I didn't have quality set on. That makes me thing it's a possible driver issue. Anyone have an idea of what driver i should be using?

try out the doz 185.85