LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nvidia faulty notebook GPU settlement

Anime Crush

Looks like those of you who hung onto your faulty Dell/HP/Apple notebooks will finally get a fix and your money back;

From http://www.pcworld.in/news/nvidia-lawsuit-dell-hp-macbook-pro-owners-get-free-repairs-37242010

If you bought a Dell, HP laptop or Apple MacBook Pro between 2007-2008 with an Nvidia GPU, you are eligible for free repairs as part of a settlement agreement between Nvidia and U.S. District Court in California.

According to a class-action lawsuit, Nvidia was charged with selling defective and faulty graphics processing units (GPUs) and certain communication devices that adversely affected performance for certain laptops -- Apple MacBook Pro 17-inch, 15-inch; Dell and HP laptops primarly sold between 2007 and 2008.

Nvidia denies any wrongdoing on their part but is still choosing to settle the lawsuit. Affected laptops having the faulty Nvidia GPU reportedly exprience distorted video on the laptop's monitor screen and no display (blank screen) even when you turn on the laptop.

Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch (having the faulty Nvidia GPU chip) and bought between May 2007 and September 2008 are eligible for free replacement of their Nvidia graphics chip and free reimbursement of previous repair charges. Dell's Inspiron, Vostro, Latitude, Precision and XPS M laptops are eligible for a free replacement of their Nvidia GPU chip as well. Select laptop models of HP Pavilion dv-series, tx tablet series and Compaq Presario series are also eligible for a free repair of their faulty Nvidia GPU chip. HP laptop owners may even receive a replacement for their affected laptop. All this if you file an approved claim form.

Remember, all laptops eligible for the free Nvidia GPU chip replacement should encounter the distorted video or no display on their laptop screen. You can find more details about the affected laptops -- Apple MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch, Dell and HP laptop -- on Nvidia's website. If your laptop is affected, you have to wait till December 20 when the settlement gets approved. Claim filing will begin after that, if you haven't serviced your faulty laptop (covered under this lawsuit) yet.

List of covered models on the official settlement website:

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

Not sure if this will do anything for buyers outside the U.S.

I wonder why the Vostro 1500 isn't on that list...

Really useful information, thanks for this! I've gone through quite a few GPUs in my time, both in a 9400 and a M1710

Dell Model Validated

The part number you entered indicates that your computer contains an Nvidia chip and you may be eligible to file a claim.

PLEASE REMEMBER: Although your notebook computer may be an eligible model, not every notebook computer on the list of Affected Models is eligible to participate. To be eligible to file a claim, your notebook computer must contain an Nvidia chip, it must have an eligible Service Tag Number and it must be experiencing one of the symptoms in the List of Identified Symptoms.

If the administrator approves your claim, you will then be entitled to a remedy under the settlement. The claims administration process may take some time. Please be patient.

Please click here to access the list of symptoms.

Please be aware that the Claims Period will not begin until after the Final Hearing, which is scheduled for December 20, 2010. If you wish to file a claim, please return to this website after the Claim Period begins (after the Final Hearing on December 20, 2010).

For more information about the Settlement and the claims filing process, please review the Class Notice.

Click here to return to the Home Page.

Guest timmyj

I have an XPS M1530 which I still use as my primary notebook that has an 8600M GT, I've never experienced any of these issues but since I've purchased this notebook and my actual warranty is expired, it would be worth applying for a replacement wouldn't it?

The Vostro 1700 is in the list, but the 1500 is missing??

So that means I wouldnt be eligible for assistance?

Edited by Night Wing

The Vostro 1700 is in the list, but the 1500 is missing??

So that means I wouldnt be eligible for assistance?

Apparently not, but then again I have never heard of any Vostro 1500/Inspiron 1520 laptops failing due to Bumpgate. Maybe the cooling system is good enough to keep the problem away.

Hmm odd Acer's didn't come up in this suit. I bought my Acer Aspire 7520 and within a year of owning it my 8400M G failed in exactly that manner. I had it replaced under warranty of course and it cost me nothing and the new card has been trouble free ever since.

Edited by INSTG8R

My M1730 has random video issues. A reboot usually fixes it. .. We just got a postcard in the mail today from:

Nvidia GPU Litigation

Settlement Administrator

P.O. Box 6175

Novato, CA 94948-6175

I followed the links and do qualify for a replacement. Maybe I can get something better than the 8700M GT SLI which is in there right now... I dont think they even make those anymore. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some 9800's :) Just gotta wait till Dec. 20th to fill the forms out :)

My final word on this is: "About Time"

Edited by GodfreyOuwens

Hey, but this is useless right? They are just going to replace the old defective parts for "new" defective parts that will break again right? I have a very faulty DV6000 laptop with a very defective Geforce Go 6150. (Lines on screen, If I turn off the PC I need to reflow the GPU etc.) So I remain just to have my laptop on 24/7 just so it does not break when I turn it off (Black screen) which is a pain to fix.

- So what am I suppose to do with this information?

- Do I have to go to court or what?

- Should I even bother since I live in Canada?

Edited by BP13

My old card had the Black Screen on boot up, so I replaced it with a newer and better card and got rid of the old one

do you think I could file a claim about it?

Any word on if this applies to people outside the US? I have a lovely, albiet broken, Dell m1330 at some that could do with being fixed.

Edited by Shakey_Jake33

Doesn't do dick for my XPS Gen 2 with a dead 7800GTX in it. I haven't put the original 6800 Ultra back in, but that's a dead-card-walking, too.

And no - I haven't baked the 7800GTX, but that's a stopgap at best.

Edited by destruya

i just got 1Q for u gurus .. is that applicable in UK?

so far its only for US I believe.. and only for certain laptops purchased within a certain time period... so.. its not a fix for all, but its a step in the right direction.

Doesn't do dick for my XPS Gen 2 with a dead 7800GTX in it. I haven't put the original 6800 Ultra back in, but that's a dead-card-walking, too.

And no - I haven't baked the 7800GTX, but that's a stopgap at best.

My Gen2 has been running the 6800U for 5+ years now, I havent had a problem with that card. If your 6800U still works, I would throw it in there, who knows, it may be a good card also.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think my notebook is eligible ? I live in Belgium.

• 4 months later...
Guest michael

My M1730 has random video issues. A reboot usually fixes it. .. We just got a postcard in the mail today from:

Nvidia GPU Litigation

Settlement Administrator

P.O. Box 6175

Novato, CA 94948-6175

I followed the links and do qualify for a replacement. Maybe I can get something better than the 8700M GT SLI which is in there right now... I dont think they even make those anymore. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some 9800's :) Just gotta wait till Dec. 20th to fill the forms out :)

My final word on this is: "About Time"

Guest tamungas

i just found the www.nvidiasettlement.com web site and am going to fill out the forms, im just wonderig if anyone has done it yet and what they sent... please reply to tamungas@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

im in the UK

i hope we can also get ours fixed too

i have a HP dv9030 and its been dead since 2009

Might want to check out class action suits in your country. I don't think a settlement in US courts would be valid in the UK. Of course they could possibly reference this settlement as an international precedent. Heh.

But...lest you think it's ALL good for those who got included in the settlement, read my post about what really goes on (and is going on now) behind the curtain in this gimongous "settlement".

Best regards and good luck!

Angel

Edited by Angelica427

Right now the members of the NVIDIA class action settlement who are due a replacement computer are getting....screwed.

The powers that be decided they are ALL going to get a CQ-56 Compaq Presario, a really basic model. My computer was a step up, I guess (not being a geek, sigh....) a media center edition, had a webcam, Bluetooth (I think, never used it) and was a dualcore 64 bit and pretty fast (though not as fast as this Gateway GT5032 desktop.)It was about $600 after an initial 25% discount, a $200 rebate at OD. BUT, there are people who had units that cost $1700+ !! (Like I would ever pay that for a HP and not an Apple)

ANYWAY, the "replacement" is about $400 retail. Not a "similar, in kind" replacement, as the settlement was supposed to get them. BUT! A pro bono consumer advocate atty named Ted Frank, who has had some success at forcing the lawyers and settlement administrators to do the right thing and do it right, has filed for enforcement of the fairness of the settlement for owners of some of those high end units that were toasted. The Claim Form on the Nvidiasettlement.com site has in VERY bold letters that by the way, by submitting a claim you must sign a release that waives your rights under a California Civil code 1542, which I looked up. I think it means even if someone like Mr. Frank is working at getting a FAIR settlement enforced, providing the class action members with a computer REALLY similar in features and cost, if you submit your claim and sign that release in the meantime before his litigation is heard and ruled on,you will not be entitled to whatever better deal he might get his clients. (I think).

You see these humongous settlement amounts "won" all the time, right? Well the administrators are often in cahoots with the attorneys who are in cahoots with the companies they are suing. The attorneys, after all, already got their millions in fees, you see, so they're kinda, "I'm outta here" and settle for whatever takes the least time.

The administrators of the settlement get a certain percentage for administering. They may even get a LARGER percentage for making it hard for the class members to "wualify", I dunno.

But guess what happens then? The moneys set aside for all those who don't bother to file a claim, and all those who somehow can't prove their claim, all that money? Where does it go?

RIGHT BACK TO THE COMPANIES that were sued.

Yep. And everybody wins but the people who got screwed in the first place. Screwed again.

You see, the companies have long since decided that "reasonable losses" in these class actions is much cheaper in the long run than making things right with the hundreds of thousands or millions of people they have taken advantage of by producing faulty products designed to implode the day after the warranties expire.

If anyone wants to read about Mr. Frank, here's a link to his article: My link

There's a reason for so many people liking the joke about "What's 500 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean"

(A good start)

lol

I'm trying to see if I can join Mr. Frank's movement. I really admire the guy for trying to get the court to make SURE the right thing is done.