LaptopVideo2Go Forums

SAS2008 (LSI9240/9211) Firmware files

mobilenvidia

hey!! the bloody thing works in the x4 slot!!! i am actually able to see all 8 of my hard drives! now, you got me thinking about x4 and x8 slots man!

I was fiddling around in my bios, and i saw an option to make the 2nd pcie x16 slot (it runs at x8) a gen 1. do you think it would make it pcie 2.0 or does it mean 1.0? i was thinking along the lines of x4 @ 2.0 = x8 @ 1.0? if so, it may also work right?

Thanks for the guidance man, you are a smart dude.

oh, i was thinking of trying to flash the h200 bios to it firmware on an intel d95gcnl board or something like that, i have an old core 2 duo e6850 lying around. what do you think?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Georgelza

• sleyk

• jperz09

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried flashing H200 cards on an old i965 mobo with no luck, but again could be a ROM no loading issue.

Setting BIOS to PCIe Gen1, it would make it run at 1.0x which is 1/2 the Bandwidth of 2.0

The H200 is PCIe 2.0

Strange how it should not work in the other slots which are also PCIe Gen3.0

4x is still OK, but you will run out of puff with mode than 4x fast SSDs attached probably.

ok, i see, i will just continue to use the x4 2.0 slot then.

as for flashing the h200, this will prove a task for me as i am trying to locate the right board on ebay that will work. i would hate to buy an old motherboard anfd then find out it wont flash the card. i mean, the IR firmware works on the card, its just abit troublesome to see the bios loading rom and also it takes alot of option rom space. my x1 sata controllers dont seem to load either.

Anyways, thanks for all your help man. I very much appreciate it. Its because of guys like you i learned to love pc's and building my own computers!

Why not just flash the IR Firmware but not the BIOS.

No Boot delay.

You can set the RAID in MSM

oh, well yeah, the IR firmware is already installed. Its the dell version though. iwas unable to flash the lsi IR or IT versions because of the "PAL" error. So is it possible to erase the bios and just have the IR or IT firmware on the card? i guess that makes sense, i just wish my motherboard could flash! i am on ebay right now actually looking for a suitable old socket 775 board to flash with.

hi there,

yeah i was trying to do that too, but to no success. i tried to download the p12 sas2flash efi utility from lsi but i must be missing something cause the zip file does not contain the utility. do you happen to have the sas2flash.efi file? and also, you make a bootable usb right and rename the sas2flash utility to shellx64.efi?

• 1 month later...

Added 20.10.0-0119 from LSI (LSI9240 FW)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent guide!

I received my M1015 yesterday and flashed it to IT firmware with the information in this thread.

Some additional information that perhaps could be useful to others.

- I used Rufus to create a FreeDOS bootable USB drive

- Copied all files from the sas2008 directory in the package downloaded here to the drive

- I updated the sas2flsh.exe in the sas2008 directory to the latest from the LSI P14 package

- I tried but failed with the "PAL initialization" error on the following two boards:

Intel DQ77MK (Q77 chipset, socket 1155, tried PCIe 16x slot)

Intel DG965RY (G965 chipset, socket 775, tried PCIe 16x slot)

but succeeded with this board:

Asus P5QPL-AM (G41 chipset, socket 775, PCIe 16x slot)

(is there a list somewhere?)

Hello!

I would like to flash my IBM M1015 to IT mode.

The sas2008.zip link in the initial Posting returns a 404 error.

Where might I get the latest version ?

TIA,

Bruno

Hello!

I would like to flash my IBM M1015 to IT mode.

The sas2008.zip link in the initial Posting returns a 404 error.

Where might I get the latest version ?

TIA,

Bruno

Working fine here.

Probably you firewall blocking it

Working fine here.

Probably you firewall blocking it

Tried to wget it from a system without proxy:

$ wget -v http://www.files.laptopvideo2go.com/hdd/sas2008.zip

--2012-11-01 21:26:51-- http://www.files.laptopvideo2go.com/hdd/sas2008.zip

Resolving www.files.laptopvideo2go.com (www.files.laptopvideo2go.com)... 199.189.104.85

Connecting to www.files.laptopvideo2go.com (www.files.laptopvideo2go.com)|199.189.104.85|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found

--2012-11-01 21:26:51-- http://laptopvideo2go.com/404

Resolving laptopvideo2go.com (laptopvideo2go.com)... 199.189.104.85

Reusing existing connection to www.files.laptopvideo2go.com:80.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found

2012-11-01 21:26:53 ERROR 404: Not Found.

I see what it is now.

You are trying to grab file externally (from outside laptopvideo2go)

We've had to set the antileeching controls

Bandwidth is very expensive and were getting milked of files with no kudos.

You can only DL from within the forums sorry.

Thanks for your hints. I switched to another browser, Firefox+NoScript collided with your antileeching measures.

Now I'm going to explore your provided collection, I want to use it to crossflash an IBM M1015 to IT mode.

Thanks again, Bruno

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to crossflash my Fujitsu D2607 (LSI 2008 based). Wasn't able to flash LSI Firmware because of wrong subvendor id. So i tried different SBR's, mainboards, cleanflashed a couple of times. Now megarec detects the controller by command "megarec -adplist" but everytime i try to write the SBR with megarec i get the error: "Not able to unlock the Diagnostic registers", sas2flsh.exe doesn't recognize it at all. Has anyone a hint or is it fried?

• 4 weeks later...

I registered for this site specially to say, thank you so very very much for this!

I have had an M1015 that I bought from ebay knocking around for ages, I hadn't installed it because of its stupid BIOS that wouldn't let me just use it as an HBA, and the last time I Googled (maybe a year ago) all I could find told me I couldn't put IT mode firmware on it. So today I decided to have another look, found the post on servethehome.com with the link to this thread, and now my card is in IT mode and working beautifully; Linux md RAID is currently expanding a RAID-6 array onto it.

Many thanks, and I'd like to wish you happy Christmas and a healthy, prosperous new year!

Edit: I have made a small donation too :cash:

Edited by john.robinson

Cheers John, helps to keep on doing what we do best to help others just like you and how all this started when I needed help all those years ago.

Kind comments like yours keeps the faith :)

And a Merry Xmas to you as well. :santa:

• 2 weeks later...

Smeg Head,

I also just registered to this site to say thanks for the directions and the links to the appropriate firmware!

I am in a bit of a jam though.  I am using my M1015 (flashed to SAS2008 P14 or whatever the current firmware is) in IT mode, however the syslog shows that it's treating all my SATA discs as UDMA/133 disks, and I'm periodically getting an "attempting task abort" error message.  I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what I could look into or if you had heard of that error message before.  In case you're curious about the syslog, it can be accessed here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18394268/syslog-2012-12-25.txt

Also, merry christmas :)

• 2 weeks later...

I followed John.R's lead and registered as well specifically to thank Mobilenvida for his generous input on this site.  I picked up an M1015 because of your recomendations and now I find myself with a new hobbly . 

I bought the card to breath a little more life into an older board I really like but I'm finding I may have hit the limits of what this architecture will support.

With the help of this site I'll try a few more things.  By the way I put the M1015 in a second PCI-E 16x slot that I later found to be running only 2 lanes in gen 1.  I'm beginning to think this card could levitate with the right firmware :-)

OK  i wanted just to say thanks but now....a problem.  Booted to DOS ran "megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin got bat a dos/32A protected mode run-time and version then the curser never went back to dos just flashes its gone on for an hr with no moverment other than the flash.  No keyboard response nada.  Any thoughts?