LaptopVideo2Go Forums

SAS2008 (LSI9240/9211) Firmware files

mobilenvidia

The M1015 runs hot to the touch this is quite normal, nothing to worry about.

But don't stick it in a case with little airflow

The SAS2108/2208 run ever hotter (burn your finger hot)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobilenvidia

• Georgelza

• sleyk

• jperz09

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The M1015 runs hot to the touch this is quite normal, nothing to worry about.

But don't stick it in a case with little airflow

The SAS2108/2208 run ever hotter (burn your finger hot)

Thanks for the info.

craigr

I am having some trouble with my LSI9240-8i running P16 under Nas4Free (FreeBSD).  Dives connected to the card are not able to spin down after a time that I specify.  Other camcontrol fucntions do not work as well.  I have read that this may be because the FreeBSD driver was based on version P13 and that I should reflash the card back to P13.  The problem is tha I can't find P13 anywhere and it's not available on LSI's public site.  Does anyone know where I can find P13?

Thanks,

craigr

Edited by craigr

OK I (think I) successfully flashed my newly acquired IBM M1015 to LSI9211-8i in IT mode.

It was a bit difficult as I needed to find a motherboard that could see the card AND flash it.

The first I tried saw the card, but froze when trying to query the card before flashing.

Next motherboard was fine.

Anyway I flashed it as seen here:

and here:

I used P16 release firmware.

Note #1: None of the two was the actual motherboard I would use the card on. The card that I want the card on is ECS P45T-A (V1.0).

On the first PCIe x16 slot I have the VGA card and on the second PCIe x16 slot I have the controller.

Note #2: I NEVER tried it as IBM M1015 with disks (my SFF-8087 to 2xSATA cables were on order).

Anyway I installed everything on my server, put the cables in, connected 8 of my drives (note that the drives where previously working already in that system, using two smaller "stupid" controllers). So, nothing wrong with the drives, or PSU etc.

Anyway long story short: Doesn't seem to see ANY of my drives. It shows 0 drives. Also I installed MSM in Windows, it does indeed see the card, but shows 0 drives.

What could be wrong?

Extra info. When booting, BIOS screen reports:

LSI MPT SAS2 BIOS

MPT2BIOS 7.31.00.00 (2013.02.28)

And, in the ctrl-c prompt if I PRESS ctrl-c it shows:

LSI Corporation MPT2 boot ROM successfully installed.

(briefly)

...then boots and actuallyu does NOT go to configuration.

If I do NOT press ctrl-c, instead it shows a table with this info:

PCI slot FF

Vendor LSI

SAS2008-IT

revision 16.00.00.00

size/nvdata 10:00:00:00:06

...and boots

Windows (SBS2011 which is 2008R2 kernel), does see the card, I even installed newest drivers, but again, no drives.

Give me some feedback please.

Could it be the cables?

These are the cables:

(bought two)

Please help me, I don't know what to do.

I searched around and found there are issues about a "forward" and a "reverse" version of the cable?
Correct cable for M1015 and sata drives? - [H]ard|Forum
The cable I bought above, I don't see any clear indication... Could that be the issue?

Here I found the only proper description of the cable by Digitus that I bought (page 35)...
http://www.services.assmann.com/down...ponents_en.pdf

I am not sure what to try next.
Should I order different cables? (will take days)

Maybe something wrong with the card?
(sent from HK... will be tough to send back...)

I plan to flash back to M1015 original and check what happens.

Nobody bothered to give an idea (unlike other fora, I have to say).

Anyway an update...

I flashed the card back to stock M1015 firmware (latest version).
NO disks detected again.

One thing I noticed is that (like in 9211-8i IT mode WITH mptsas2 bios installed), I cannot invoke configuration screen (ctrl-h for M1015, ctrl-c for 9211-8i), without failure, but doesn't start, just boots normally.

This means one of the following:

1) Something is wrong with the card. HOPE NOT.

2) Something cannot connect with invoking the card BIOS from my motherboard BIOS (seen that before with different unrelated hardware). I don't care as in IT mode I don't ever need the configuration screen

3) This card (in M1015 or 9211-8i IT mode) does not allow invoking the configuration screen if there is no disk detected/connected. (anybody care to try that?)

So... hoping it is not #1 above, I flashed back LSI 9211-8i IT mode and wait for LSI "forward" cables I ordered from Italy (CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M)... Hope this solves it (will post update).

WIll also contact the seller of the card today, that I plan to do one more test, else I will have to return it.

OK I have the final update and case close for this:

It was the cables.
I just received LSI's own "forward" cables and yes, the controller detects the drives AND my motherboard BIOS also does (if I needed to boot from them - which I don't).

Thank you all for your support.

(which I didn't get here...)

Ah... moral of the story: Do NOT get the Digitus cables for this controller.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you can help a newbie.  Here is my configuration

Dell T110 Poewerdge Server 12GB

Windows 7 64-bit Professional

LSI 9212-4i4e in x8 PCI-e slot flashed to P16 IR mode

2xSamsung 840 Pro in Raid 0

Symptom:

AS SSD Benchmark 1.7.4739.38088 shows 4K Write as only 2.28 MB/s, but the same benchmark show 53 MB/s on a Samsung 840Pro 512GB when the SSD is connected to motherboard SATA2 connectors in ACHI non-RAID mode.

AS SSD does show the sequential speed Read/Write speed of 939/298 MB/s using the RAID0, 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256GB on LSI, a substantial increase from using the single SSD on motherboard SATA2.

Paradoxically CrystalMark 3.0.2 show the 4K Write as 60 MB/s using RAID0 on LSI 9212-4i42 with the two SSDs.  Why is Crystals' 4K Write so much higher than AS SSD?

Questions:

1- Why the discrepancy between Crystal's 4K Write of  60 MB/s and AS SSD's 4K Write of 2 MB/s with same hardware/software setup, which is RAID0, 2xSamsung 840 PRO on LSI 9212-4i4e IR P16?

2- Since AS SSD shows the 4k Write goes from 2 MB/s on LSI to 53 MB/s on motherboard Sata2, it would seem the test is valid?

3- Would flashing LSI 9212-4i4e from IR to IT mode cause AS SSD's 4K Write 2 MB/s to become much larger?

4- Since SSD's don't care where the data is written (not a moving head) why should Intel RST be so much faster than LSI IR? Remember the slow AS SSD 4K Write of 2 MB/s was using 9212-4i4e RAID0 in IR mode.  Cannot believe IR could be causing this overhead?

Also, if I would flash LSI 9212-4i4e from IR to IT, would I have to recreate the RAID0 array on my 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256GB SSDs, using INTEL RST?

Is RAID0 structure the same whether LSI or Intel is used to create the logical array?

Or maybe in IT, mode using Intel RST (control I at boot, I think) to create a RAID 0 array in fact causes LSI to set up the RAID0 array

After the RAID 0 array was created would it work regardless of whether the two Samsung SSDs were connected to LSI 9212-4i4e or connected to two of the motherboard's sata connectors, without having to re-create the RAID0 array? (The motherboard chipset is Intel Series 5/3400 Chipset).

BTW the processor is single Xeon 3440 4 core, 8 thread.

My apologies for newbie naïve questions.

Hope someone (mobilenvidia?) can and will help quickly.

Thanks!

Wanted to add that MSM shows the SSD is in Write Thru mode and this cannot be changed.  Since SSD's do not have moving heads, why would Write Back vs Write Thru even be significant?

IQ100

Edited by iq100

OK  i wanted just to say thanks but now....a problem.  Booted to DOS ran "megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin got bat a dos/32A protected mode run-time and version then the curser never went back to dos just flashes its gone on for an hr with no moverment other than the flash.  No keyboard response nada.  Any thoughts?

I have this exact problem.  megarec won't do anything.  Does anyone know why?

Thank you

Hi all,

When I posted yesterday, I had tried this in systems with the following motherboards (all gigabyte)... GA-M57SLI-S4, GA-880GA-UD3H, GA-870A-UD3 and GA-M55SLI-S4.  While it was in these systems I couldn't use "megarec" at all, and none of the systems would boot from a hard drive.  I eventually tried it in (my last computer!) based on a GA-990FXA-UD3 board.  Using this board, I was able to cross flash with no problems, and now the raid card works in all of the motherboards listed...

Thanks

Maybe you can help a newbie.  Here is my configuration

Dell T110 Poewerdge Server 12GB

Windows 7 64-bit Professional

LSI 9212-4i4e in x8 PCI-e slot flashed to P16 IR mode

2xSamsung 840 Pro in Raid 0

Symptom:

AS SSD Benchmark 1.7.4739.38088 shows 4K Write as only 2.28 MB/s, but the same benchmark show 53 MB/s on a Samsung 840Pro 512GB when the SSD is connected to motherboard SATA2 connectors in ACHI non-RAID mode.

AS SSD does show the sequential speed Read/Write speed of 939/298 MB/s using the RAID0, 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256GB on LSI, a substantial increase from using the single SSD on motherboard SATA2.

Paradoxically CrystalMark 3.0.2 show the 4K Write as 60 MB/s using RAID0 on LSI 9212-4i42 with the two SSDs.  Why is Crystals' 4K Write so much higher than AS SSD?

Questions:

1- Why the discrepancy between Crystal's 4K Write of  60 MB/s and AS SSD's 4K Write of 2 MB/s with same hardware/software setup, which is RAID0, 2xSamsung 840 PRO on LSI 9212-4i4e IR P16?

2- Since AS SSD shows the 4k Write goes from 2 MB/s on LSI to 53 MB/s on motherboard Sata2, it would seem the test is valid?

3- Would flashing LSI 9212-4i4e from IR to IT mode cause AS SSD's 4K Write 2 MB/s to become much larger?

4- Since SSD's don't care where the data is written (not a moving head) why should Intel RST be so much faster than LSI IR? Remember the slow AS SSD 4K Write of 2 MB/s was using 9212-4i4e RAID0 in IR mode.  Cannot believe IR could be causing this overhead?

Also, if I would flash LSI 9212-4i4e from IR to IT, would I have to recreate the RAID0 array on my 2xSamsung 840 Pro 256GB SSDs, using INTEL RST?

Is RAID0 structure the same whether LSI or Intel is used to create the logical array?

Or maybe in IT, mode using Intel RST (control I at boot, I think) to create a RAID 0 array in fact causes LSI to set up the RAID0 array

After the RAID 0 array was created would it work regardless of whether the two Samsung SSDs were connected to LSI 9212-4i4e or connected to two of the motherboard's sata connectors, without having to re-create the RAID0 array? (The motherboard chipset is Intel Series 5/3400 Chipset).

BTW the processor is single Xeon 3440 4 core, 8 thread.

My apologies for newbie naïve questions.

Hope someone (mobilenvidia?) can and will help quickly.

Thanks!

Wanted to add that MSM shows the SSD is in Write Thru mode and this cannot be changed.  Since SSD's do not have moving heads, why would Write Back vs Write Thru even be significant?

IQ100

Hi Mate,

Have you enabled the cache in the megaRAID manager?

If you don't have the option make sure you install the latest drivers from the LSI site.

AMED

• 3 months later...

Hi,

newbie here, thank you for the OP, I was able to follow(more or less) the instruction in post#1 to flash my card( LSI SAS 9211-8i) to IT mode.   I just want to share my result/steps with you all.

H/W:

motherboard: X9SCM-iiF version 2.0a build date 9/17/2012

cpu:  xeon E3-1230v2

card: LSI SAS 9211-8I

usb thumbdrive : kingston DTSE9, 16GB

Steps taken:

0. create usb dos boot drive, using the hpflash utility and win98boot.zip(for boot image)(link  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/46707-ms-dos-bootable-flash-drive-create.html)

1. copy contents of SAS2008.zip(from OP) to the usb drive  

2. download the latest bin and rom(P17 from LSI) and copy them into the usb drive

3. boot from the USB drive

4.  Run following at the prompt

Megarec -cleanflash 0

5.  Reboot

6.  Attempted to run the "sas2flsh -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom", but got the following:

"ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program."

7. Read the following reference(http://brycv.com/blog/2012/flashing-it-firmware-to-lsi-sas9211-8i/), download the efi version of flash utility from LSI, copy the efi utility into the usb drive

8. Reboot to UEFI shell

9. run 'map' to find out the device mapping for the USB

in my case, it is 'fs0'

10. Mount the usb as follows:

mount fs0:

11. Change current directory to the usb drive:

fs0:          

12. List the files in the usb:

ls

13. run the following:

sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

14. I then ran

sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address,500605b********* is the code on the green sticker on the card without the "-")

15. run the following command and  confirm the "firmware product id" for IT mode : 0x2213(IT)

sas2flash.efi -list

Note that  I did not run the  "sas2flash.efi -o -e 6"  command(before step 13), which apparently would set for 6Gb/s access.   Shutdown the machine.  Connect a Segate ST1000DM003 to the card.  Reboot, hit CTRL-C to get into the LSI Config Utility v7.33.00.00 (2013.07.18).   The Negotiated Link speed and Maximum link speed are shown as 6 Gbps(under SAS Topology section).

cheers,

• 4 months later...

Small beginners question here that just need some clarification.

My system is an older P55A-UD7 board which only houses SATA2 controller (and yes a horrible SATA3 controller with SATA2 speeds).

I bought the M1015 long time ago to get the full speed of my SSDs, however along the road I ditched the M1015 basically because of the longer boot times, cause I had to wait for the M1015 BIOS to finish scanning for drives.

I use the SSDs for OS and my games. "Storage" is on older HDDs, and used to stock IBM firmware.

Now looking over the threads of flashing to IT mode, I am tempted to give the controller another go, but here comes the question mark.

- Flashing my into M1015 into IT mode, with the BIOS, will not give me quicker boot time (scanning speeds) of the M1015?

- Flashing the M1015 into IT mode without the BIOS, will give me quicker boot time but I will not be able to boot from a SSD connected to the M1015 controller?

You might still be able to boot in IT mode via the system BIOS, as the drives are displayed to the BIOS directly

Otherwise you need the LSI BIOS

There is very little delay with the BIOS flashed

Only takes ages in M1015/LSI9240 mode

• 1 month later...

I now finally got around to install the M1015 and flash it, but need help since I am not satisfied.

After flashing M1015 into 9211 IT mode I am getting very low write speeds.

I got 2 SSDs attached to the "9211" card with the specs:

OCZ Vertex3 - READ:550MB/s - WRITE:500MB/s 

Samsung 840 - READ:540MB/s - WRITE:520MB/s

Something is wrong with my write speeds. I have tested with Samsung Magician (Samsung tool for their SSDs with can do diagnosis, benchmark etc) and with AS SSD benchmark tool on a fresh Win8.1 x64 install with the latest LSI-9211 Windows driver.

Sequential read speeds are fine in the lower end of 500MB/s.

Sequential write speeds are bad, seems capped at around 114-118MB/s

Any suggestions?

Below are the complete history of my install in case this should be asked later on:

Quick info. P55A-UD7 mainboard which only have Intel SATA2 and a dreadful Marvell SATA3 controller (which cant do SATA3 speeds), so I bought the M1015 to support my SSDs running over 500MB/s.

Annoyances for not using the M1015 was boot time was deadslow adding 20-30 seconds to boot. Call me OCD sick, but somehow I just hate the wait.

Therefore reading lots of things about flashing the M1015, I got tempted to give it a go.

I flashed M1015 with the 9211 IT mode firmware (newest LSI firmware and as of today), and as discussed previously with mobilenvidia, I left out the OptionROM, hoping my system BIOS could see the drives directly and boot from them.

This setup failed, system BIOS was not able to see the drives directly, only the add-on card and I could not boot from it.

Reflashed the card this time with the OptionROM, and now everything was better. However now with the annoyance of having to wait for the OptionROM to scan for drives, adding the 20 second wait on boot.

Now with everything in order, I went on to test the speed of my new setup, which was the initial question.

EDIT from above post:

f

I ended up ditch the use of M1015 card. After above mentioned reinstall, all of sudden I started seing weird issues. At some boots, I received Win8 sad face, that something had went wrong. Automatic fixes helped in the beginning until it ended up being non-repairable anymore.

Since I had to reinstall Windows anyway, I then thought to try with IR mode, just for fun and maybe the write speeds would be better. That sure did not help on anything only made it worse, cause then Windows partition manager on Install media, refused to create any partitions on the drive or even install on the drive, but it could delete and format fine.

I then tried the LSI firmware, since IR mode could be debunked, and ended up with same results as IR mode.

I then decided to pull out the M1015, and try the SSD with good old Intel on-board SATA2 ports. It worked flawless and everything actually went much smoother than with the M1015.

Edited by bjoeg

• 2 months later...

Wow, yet again this is the best resource.  

Bought another M1015 (and a M5015) installed to new build.  Asrock Z97 Extreme 9.  Added advanced feature key. M1015 has not upgraded or flashed otherwise. Connected 1 port from M1015 to Intel RES2CV360 expander card. 

Machine boots to M1015 Bios, needs user input to continue (not desirable) ad does not recognize any of the disks attach to expander card.  There were other issues with this new system build.  M1015 unflashed interfered with first boot device couldn't get system to boot to install media yada yada.  Fianlly took out card got system to but as desired got OS installed etc.

Now...

Want to boot without intervention (no M1015 card bios) want to implement expander card using raid 5 for multiple disks with option of running some disks not configured as raid.

Should I use both ports on M1015 connected to RES2CV360?

Should I remove Advance Key and crossflash to support raid 5?

Should I use the M5015 with battery to use raid with more security?

Can I use the expander card in IR mode and IT mode on M1015?

I mentioned something about having a new hobby when I first signed up.  Thank you again SmegHead  Kudos to you!!!

The IBM website has firmware available for the M1015 from 2014, is it safe to use the latest firmware for an IT mode flash or is the link provided in the OP still the best option? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I found this thread as part of my reading up when planning my new HBA purchase, and figured if you can go from 9240 to 9211, you should be able to go the other way. I wanted raid 5, and the 9240 and the 9211 were the same price from my seller, but the connectors on the 9211 were more convienient for my case, so I bought that with a view to reflashing it into a 9240.

Following the instructions posted here (and elsewhere), I backed up my SBR and Firmware, then wrote the empty sbr and cleared the flash with megarec.

I then rebooted as instructed and tried to flash the 9240 firmware to my card - seemed fine, but then run out of space halfway through - seems the 9211 has a 4MBit flash chip, but the 9240 has a 8MBit flash chip.

So I tried reflashing the backed up firmware back to it, but I started getting the dreaded "Mfg Page 2" errors. So I tried restoring my SBR as well, but no dice. I tired clearing the flash and trying again, but got the same error. Ended up trying a level 7 clear using sas2flash, but still when I tried to reflash, same error.

Any ideas? I've tried all sorts of options without success, the SBR option they added in later versions of sas2flash to resolve this fails with the same error it's trying to fix, which isn't that helpful. :/

My next plan of attach is to try and get ahold of a full flash image form someone with a 9211 and us sas2flash's -dflash and -uflash options to see if I can resolve what I suspect is NVDATA corruption from the overflash. Any charitible folk out there fancy sending me an image of their flash? :)

Edited by qwerki

• 2 months later...

Great thread, thank-you for detailing this stuff but I think I messed up somehow.

I could really use some help please :)

I just got a MegaRAID SAS9240-8i - http://www.lsi.com/products/raid-controllers/pages/megaraid-sas-9240-8i.aspx

Trying to flash it to IT mode for my software raid.

Grabbed the files in Ops post and followed these instructions that I thought were the correct ones,

Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IT mode
Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick>
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot>
Done!

First two steps no problem, but after reboot I get the following error when trying to flash this "sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin" 

"Error: Firmware image does not support Target Adapter Chip Revision (1)"

Picture of error.

post-69846-0-56597800-1413479976_thumb.j

Added picture of Manufacture date (May 2014) and maybe revision mark ( B )

post-69846-0-10465400-1413479986_thumb.j

Firmware image has a valid checksum just not compatible with my chipset, so I am hoping all is good and I can find and flash correct one, but I am a bit over my head. Would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

edit = added picture

Edited by EvilAaron

Tried crossflashing again with an updated sas2flsh.exe and latest 9211IT firmware still wouldn't work but gave a little more info with its error,

post-69846-0-57418200-1413497378_thumb.j

I was able to get card running again with reversal from OP doing the following

Convert LSI9211-IT/IR back to LSI9240 (IBM M1015)
Type in the following exactly:
Megarec -cleanflash 0
Megarec -writesbr 0 sbrm1015.bin
<reboot, back to USB stick>
Megarec -m0flash 0 0119_lsi.rom 
<reboot>
Done!

(note long hang in bios on 1st boot thought I had killed it lol)

I do hope there is some way to get these new cards to operate in IT mode, I am guessing newest 2014 revisions something changed making crossflashing fail or I'm just unlucky. I see people having luck doing this method this summer but have seen no Manufacture dates to match, can anyone confirm post May 2014 build dates working?

Sucks cause I just want an HBA all the MegaRAID options are useless for me just running JBOD drives lol. Still wrestling with getting it to boot without a prompt (headless server) keeps complaining because I have no RAID configured thus needs a keypress when booting up PC. Also lacking Smart pass through it seems... Damn I wish the cross flash had worked :)

edit: Solved headless rebooting

with StorCLI Page 41 - 42 of the StorCLI reference manual

storcli /cx set headlesscontinueonerror|hcoe=<on|off>
This command does not drive the MegaRAID BIOS to headless safe mode if any errors are encountered during POST,
and it continues normal operation.
Input example:
storcli /c0/ set headlesscontinueonerror=on

With MegaCli

# MegaCLI64 -h | grep -i bios
MegaCLI64 -AdpBIOS -Enbl |-Dsbl | -SOE | -BE | EnblAutoSelectBootLd | DsblAutoSelectBootLd | -Dsply -aN|-a0,1,2|-aALL
# MegaCLI64 -AdpBIOS -BE -aALL

BIOS is set to Bypass Error on Adapter 0.

Exit Code: 0x00
Edited by EvilAaron

• 3 years later...

Got my self a bargain IBM N2115 HBA coming, US$50 delivered
PCIe GEN3 running on SAS2308 chipset
This should be a little gem, first thing is to cross flash it to a 9207
Best thing of all is that it uses older SAS connectors which I have plenty of, mini connectors would have added more to cost

So I'll keep this updated, will probably combine both SAS2008 and 2308 in here

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 3:29 PM, mobilenvidia said:

Got my self a bargain IBM N2115 HBA coming, US$50 delivered
PCIe GEN3 running on SAS2308 chipset
This should be a little gem, first thing is to cross flash it to a 9207
Best thing of all is that it uses older SAS connectors which I have plenty of, mini connectors would have added more to cost

So I'll keep this updated, will probably combine both SAS2008 and 2308 in here

Hi, just wondering if you were ever able to flash the card running SAS2308, and if so how you did it? I have an Asus PIKE 2308 with the SAS2308 chipset that I'm hoping to figure out how to flash to IT mode. 

The H220 came with HP IT firmware I just update to latest LSI versions and added a BIOS so I could set a boot drive, also added UEFI BIOS so I can get to controller via System BIOS
I just did it via MSM in windows

Does the Pike 2308 come in IR mode ?
You'll need to remove the IR mode FW and then reflash the IT with BIOS if you need to boot from a drive and/or UEFI BIOS incase you'd like to configure it via System BIOS

• 2 months later...

I hate to resurrect a old thread but i'm trying to do this and it appears some files are missing from the download. Most notably the "megarec.exe" am i missing something?

7 hours ago, jperz09 said:

I hate to resurrect a old thread but i'm trying to do this and it appears some files are missing from the download. Most notably the "megarec.exe" am i missing something?

No probs, added a heap more links (to 1st post) with all the files you could possibly want inc Megarec