LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus UL80VT 285.48 Win7 x32 Driver Release

Kreationz

This was tested on a UL80VT running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit.

I've been wanting to upgrade my drivers and after search through the downloads on the Asus site for the latest version of the nVidia drivers from Asus as an OEM on a hybrid(Intel+nVidia) system, the newest I could find was 285.48(for the U36SG) and so that's what I used. I am currently running these drivers on my UL80VT and all seems stable. They maybe be able to be used on the UL30VT/UL50VT as well with minor *.inf edits specifically for those systems.

Intel Version: 8.15.10.2869 ( Latest from Intel for "4 series")
nVidia Version: 8.17.12.8548 (AKA 285.48 Released: 9/28/2011 OEM Release: 06/20/2012)

I have uploaded *.inf I created for the UL80VT, but it should work for others with only minor INF edits. I also linked to all the exact drivers I used as I can not upload them due to the 1000K limit of the forum(I'll place them online elsewhere and add the link here then).

Instructions:
1. I recommend installing from a clean copy of Win7 as it takes more than just the video drivers for things to work correctly (ASUS ACPI Drivers are require to allow the system to switch). Use the Asus utility to remove the default Intel driver. Restart.
Located at: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=UL80VT (Under VGA as "VGA Patch driver")

2. Install the ATK ACPI Package. Restart.
Located at: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=U36SG

(It's under "Utilities" as "ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities" Version V1.0.0011 as of this post. The one from UL80VT page is the wrong one. Use the one from the U36SG and as a bonus it's newer and no other ATK stuff is need for full functionality.)

3. Intall the Intel Drivers. Restart.
Located at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+4+Series+Express+Chipset+Family

(The ones on the ASUS U36SG are not for the Series 4 Chipset as U36SG is a newer model and they are an older version and Intel direct ones work fine.)

4. Install nVidia Drivers after replacing nvam.inf with the one attached(Only modded to support the 210M on the UL80VT). Restart.
Located at: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=U36SG under VGA.

INF: NVAM.INF

Note: This was not tested with Power4Gear and don't know if it will work properly or not, but sleep/hibernate and advanced power settings are working without Power4Gear.

Hi Kreationz,

I'm really glad to see that someone else tries to update these pretty old drivers. By my side I'm still sticked to these old 260.63 driver since it is the only release that works very fine on my UL.

First, the most important for me is that hybrid sh*t works fine and my UL keeps its incredible 10h+ of work without power adaptor. So that can you tell us if you see power difference between enabled and disabled nVidia GPU mode ? Is the activation of the nVidia chipset still manual (I really hate let optimus do it for me) ?

After that, maybe you can confirm some update of driver interface. Can you tell us if your driver support all of these feature:

- direct draw support on intel side

- webGl with intel CPU (you should be able to enable Google Street View in 3D under firefox for example)

- better 1080p support for intel (smoother) ?

- some optimisation with nVidia driver ?

Since I really like my UL30Vt (incredible autonomy, silence - with a SSD, powerful enough to play old -2010- games), I just want be sure I will be able to use it for 2/3 years more.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Kreationz,

I've tried following your procedure on my own UL80VT, but I suspect the inf file you created is for the 32-bit driver (and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit), as it's not working.

I've tried looking through the two inf files to see what changes I should make to the one with the 64-bit driver, but my attempts so far have not worked out, either. Is there anything you could do to help out?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

You are right... I see an error saying files missing when I install it on my 64bit Windows 7.

However, I am able to mod the inf file myself by copying the lines from the nv_disp.inf inside the driver mod (HGMS_N26063_I2020_x64) from http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26409-hybrid-graphics-master-set-drivers/

I am able to install this newer 285.48 driver using my modified inf file on my UL50VT and have verified that the nvidia gpu is indeed working.

(i.e. I am able to use the HDMI port to power my external monitor... the onboard intel gpu does not provide HDMI signal.) 

The attached inf should work for UL30VT/UL50VT/UL80VT

(Users of other laptop models should probably able to make this driver work too by doing the same modifications to the inf file.) 

Great work for finding a newer driver, I have been after a newer driver for a very long time...

NVAM.INF

Edited by Eric Wong

• 3 weeks later...

I've successfully installed the above drivers in Windows 8 Pro x64 (Intel ones via: http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/4418-mobile-intel-series-4-intel-hd-graphics-1st-generation.html) and 285.48 via U36SG download page + Eric Wong's INF. Also installed ATKACPI from U36SG page)

Both adapters show up as functioning in device manager, however i'm unsure how to 'switch' between graphics. Any tips?

• 1 month later...

Please help me, I cant do it successful

I ran VGA patch, then installed ATK ACPI and Intel graphic driver. After that, I unrar 285.48 rar-file and replaced NVAM.inf file by Eric Wong` inf file. But after restart, my PC dont find out Intel graphic driver (Exclamation point on Device manager). How can I fix it?

• 3 months later...

I've successfully installed the above drivers in Windows 8 Pro x64 (Intel ones via: http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/4418-mobile-intel-series-4-intel-hd-graphics-1st-generation.html) and 285.48 via U36SG download page + Eric Wong's INF. Also installed ATKACPI from U36SG page)

Both adapters show up as functioning in device manager, however i'm unsure how to 'switch' between graphics. Any tips?

I can't figure out how to switch to the nvidia graphics also... I am in the intel right now and I dont see a way to switch

It seems like several of us (including me) have this problem of the inability to switch from Intel graphics to the discrete nVidia card. Does anyone have any update on this? Kreationz seems to have mentioned using the ATK ACPI Package to perform switching between the cards but I am unclear what this means. Without Power4Gear (which also doesn't work) there doesn't seem to be a way to switch between cards. Unless I am missing something, can anyone provide any additional information?