LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Intel RST RAID5 Warning! Large capacity drives cause BSOD!

Bill

I have recently purchased 3 of the Seagate NAS ST4000VN000 4TB hard drives. These are a very good deal and sometimes go on sale for less than $150. You could have a RAID5 with 16TB usable capacity for only a little over $700 possibly with these.  :w00t:

However I found out that in the Intel RST management application, it will BOSD when a RAID5 with these drives is attached on certain software version combination (aka most of them).

I believe the array is so large it causes a buffer overflow.

I have seen this on both a Z68 and Z87 system with up-to-date Intel RST drivers, Intel INF drives, and Intel Management engine drivers.

So this large capacity bug might affect all RST users.

I will let you guys know when this is fixed, I am in contact with Intel about the problem.

Yall should also know that the resulting RAID5 isn't yet recognized in Linux either. The MDAM/DMRAID software and Gparted will need to be updated to recognize large Intel arrays it seems.

Bill