LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fix for Toshiba Users with Black Bar

Teraphy

December, 2007:

Use the enhancer page to automatically fix Windows XP INF files: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

Detailed INF fix thread explanation

Thanks to Ministeve, our testing guru, we have found a solution to the Black Bar issue.

BlackBar PHP page to fixer the issue...

[information]

EDID Information is found in the registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\DISPLAY\

When running older drivers that properly obtain an EDID the following proper tags are obtained:

TOS5082 - 1024x768

TOS5086 - 1400x1050

TOS5088 - 1600x1200

When running newer drivers that do not properly obtain an EDID (black bar) the following tags are obtained: NVDXXXX. In some cases users may obtain an actual TOSXXXX key with faulty information. This will be investigated furthur if a lot of people have this case.

This issue is due to the fact the BIOS contains improper display information and the more recent display drivers are not correctly obtaining the displays EDID. We have chosen to take the easy driver route on this matter by not having people update the BIOS.

4.17.00.41.C5 <- Bad(contains black bar issues)

4.17.00.41.C7 <- Bad (contains black bar issues)

4.17.00.59.F9 <- Good BIOS

If you have a BIOS not listed. Please extract and post it for further study.

For BIOS utilities see the BIOS Utilities post.

-- Edit --

Attachment removed. Thanks to all of those who attached their information. It was quite helpful in diagnosing the issue.

The new attachment is a 61.76 zip file containing 3 INF files for the above screen sizes.

61.76_Black_Bar_Fixes.zip

Edited by Teraphy

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teraphy

• ®®®

• Craig Corp

• ministeve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest boris2004

forgot this dxdiag info

--

Thanks. Removed attachment. Got the info.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0175&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_A3

Edited by Teraphy

Teraphy shall I implement those changes in all my INFs as of v30.19+

I'll leave the INF with the 3 EDID's mods disabled then the user just has to edit the INF remove the apropriate ';' and install.

No input required from us, just a page to show the masses how to do it.

Unless your keen to make these mods on an individual basis.

Pieter.

I'd like to see how it goes first. If all works well on displays other than Ministeve's maybe we can figure out a better way to implement them. I just wrote it as is because it was clear cut for me to write that way. I am sure all 6 aren't required. We can most likely cut it down and use Flags0-3 instead.

Guest boris2004

hi blach bar still didnot gone i have 47.12 with no black bar with old info im using it long time i will put it in attachment so can u look on it cos it works with no black bar and piters new info for 47.12 is with black bar :) maby this info will help

nv4_disp.inf

Alright, ministeve. What am I not doing right -- I've covered both product tags. I've been looking at way too many EDIDs lately I thought I got this setup right. Unless it's DFPAsDefaultMonitor. (but that's why I covered both tags)

boris are you on 2K or XP?

The attached is the old INF? I will take a look at it but I know that is a simple key fix. The newer drivers require a more complex key fix that has been deciphered. The error lies in the newer driver builds and the bad BIOS information.

US Release Toshiba Satellite 5105-S502 (same as a 5105-S501 just with XP Pro) and has a 1400x1050 resolution.

BIOS: 4.17.00.41.C5

EDID Info RegEdit: Contains both NVD0400 and TOS5086

I'm currently running the 52.16 drivers, but forgot which INF, I think 9.62 (or something like that), and it works without a black bar, although my TV-Out function is broken.

edid_disp.txt

Hi Theraphy,

I tried your 61.72 inf with the 61.72 drivers and I still get the black bar, max res 1372x1050, problem as well. You already have my EDID info. Darn, I really hoped we had a fix this time :)

Alright, ministeve.  What am I not doing right -- I've covered both product tags.  I've been looking at way too many EDIDs lately I thought I got this setup right.  Unless it's DFPAsDefaultMonitor. (but that's why I covered both tags)

There's nothing wrong with the infs. The only differences with mine are that DFPAsDefaultMonitor is missing (but it is not influent, if my tests are correct) and that I have only OverrideEdidFlags0.

Currently I'm running 61.80 with no black bar. Enabling/disabling the fix directly in the registry (under services/nv) toggles the black bar on my system. In my opinion this is quite a strong evidence that it has worked for me. Find attached my inf, it's just plain 30.15 with DFPAsDefaultMonitor and the fix added.

Warning: the following inf is just an example and it should not be used. The fix it contains is system-dependent. The inf works for my system but is not likely to work for others.

nv4_disp.inf

Edited by ministeve

I have good information to support the top three resolutions. (1024x768, 1400x1050, 1600x1200) with those 2 black bar BIOSs. If anyone runs another BIOS then please post your information. Otherwise I am done collecting info. Thanks to everyone.

@Craig - ministeve says it works :) I have no doubt that we're overriding the bad EDID with good stuff. It's just this key has to do some matching to determine which EDID to override and this is the part we're a little iffy on.

MiniSteve,

I just tried the inf you have attached above with 61.80 downloaded from the link in the modified infs section of this site. I have uninstalled and installed it twice now and get the same major problem. On my system, I get only a white screen with black streaks in it with this driver/inf combo - it will not go to the to the windows logon screen. Any ideas what the problem is?

5105 S501, 32 MB GeForce4 440GO

MiniSteve,

I just tried the inf you have attached above with 61.80 downloaded from the link in the modified infs section of this site. I have uninstalled and installed it twice now and get the same major problem. On my system, I get only a white screen with black streaks in it with this driver/inf combo - it will not go to the to the windows logon screen. Any ideas what the problem is?

5105 S501, 32 MB GeForce4 440GO

Craig Corp, the inf I attached contained Teraphy's tweak for 1024x768; it is normal that it garbles your screen. It was just meant to witness I'm using a plain inf with the tweak.

Did you succeed int going back to a working config?

We are now doing some extra tests to understand what might prevent the tweak from working in your system.

Thanks for your concern Ministeve. I just rebooted into VGA mode, uninstalled 61.80, rebooted and installed an older driver (44.68), everything is working fine again. I'd be happy to try out further 1400x1050 inf/driver combos when you have them :)

Guest tunnelblick

Hi Everyone. I am following the whole problem since almost ever, just reading there is a fix. Well, I have a Satellite 2410 with Geforce4go420 (32 mb) and the TOS5082-Display. The max. resolution is 1024x768. Is there now an inf supporting this? In one of the earlier posts there were 2 infs attached, but just for 1400x1050 and 1600 resolution. Is the 1024x768-resolution included in this? Attached is the information from the batch-file. If you need additional information, I would be happy to help you.

Best regards

Tunnelblick

edid_disp.zip

tunnelblick, ministeve's post above contains 1024x768 INF file for 61.80 that he got to work. That would be a good attempt.

I'll get back to this issue once I get a little free time back :)

Guest tunnelblick

Hi. Just installed the 61.80. The driver works excellent. I didn't even have to reboot the system. No black bar, no problem at all. Good work guys!

Tunnelblick

Guest Usagi Shinobi

Just wanted to add a note of thanks; that 6180 driver and the updated inf file work excellent.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 w/ 16MB Geforce 4 420 Go

Mini Steve,

When you mention "toggling the fix in the registry" above, which key exactly are you changing. I'd like to be able to see if it is set right after installing Theraphy's 1400x1050 and 1600x1200 inf with 61.72 (which still gave me a black bar on my initial install). Thanks :)

OK, I reinstalled Theraphy's inf with 61.72. Looking under services/nv I have keys for both DCBOverride0 and DCBOverride1. I do not have a key at all for OverrrideEDIDFlags. Should I have two DCBOverride keys? Should I have an OverrideEDIDFlags key? Is there a way to correct this?