• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teraphy

• ®®®

• Craig Corp

• ministeve

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great to hear gamewell! I apologize that I haven't been around as I have been very busy lately.

Guest gamewell

I am using 66.93 WHQL driver with Black Bar fixer, which is much better than my old 47.12 driver. The performace increased 15fps in Counter Strike: Source. :)

But I can not change my panel refresh rate, it seems the inf from the Blank Bar fixer only provide default 60Hz rate. my panel supports 100Hz in 1024x768

Teraphy, would you like to improve this?

Cheers!

Gamewell,

It is very unlikly that your LCD panel will support 100hz.

I have seen some deskptop panels that goto 75hz.

I think you are confused with CRT-out which can go to 100hz and beyond (with modded INF) @1024x768.

Some (or all?) older driver had these options enabled.

I remember v52.16 (with Pieters inf 11.64) and i think also my original 36.xx driver gave me the option to choose more 'frequencies' than 60 Hz. The weird thing, which i liked, was, that when i choose 100 Hz, my mouse movement was much (!) smoother and overall response of the mouse was better. And that was no dream or affected by other settings, it came defenitely from this option.

Well, as far as I am aware the EDID settings copy that of the original working EDID -- which was 60Hz. I do not know the exact extent of the setting, i.e. If it's more static than previous ones.

I take it you've tried the "Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates" in the NV Control Panel? Perhaps this isn't available to you, as I can modify the screen to any size with any refresh possible.

Hi,

I would appreciate your advice: :)

After installation of SP2 for WXP Prof., I get also the "black bar" problem on my Toshiba SP 2100 (1024x768; GF 420 GO) as described above.

I can only choose the resolution 969x768 now.

Is it correct, that I should download the latest drivers from Nvidia (66.93) and after that I can apply the fix (*.inf-file) via "Display-> New Driver, etc.")

Which tool is the right one for me: :)

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

or

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

Or, do they do the same?

Many thanks,

SteCee

Hello SteCee,

You're correct, that is one way to install the driver. Once the "modified" INF file is overwritten then the driver can be installed either way. (Setup or "Have Disk" method)

The second link is recommended.

The blackbar.php is the old page which will be removed soon. The enhancer page is the latest version which includes PHP fixes, works with more INF files, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone state the directory of the NEW INF Files (where they need to be extracted)?

btw...there's a way to have a 2nd monitor created (1-2) as Default one and make #1 Multiple Monitors and you can adjust the 2nd one to fix the black bar..although the letters become quite a bit blurry..

• 1 month later...
Guest Slartibartfast

:) I'm trying to use SoftQuadro to go from GeForce4 440 Go to Quadro4 500 GoGL using 42.51 drivers, but the custom Toshiba inf doesn't seem to help with the resulting problems. I end up at 1440x900 with a blackbar, no resume ability, and system instability. When I reboot after the driver install, Windows also can't recognize the display, and has to install a generic Plug and Play monitor - is this normal? Higher driver versions and modded inf's work :) , but no Quadro :P Can you guys have a look at the Black Bar PHP fixer for 42.51 drivers? I can pull any info needed if you tell me how. LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt attached.

LaptopVideo2Go_LogFile.txt

Slartibartfast, that's a toughy as I have to rack my brain on the 40 series but thanks for running the program to give us good info :)

HKR,, EDID00010000, %REG_BINARY%, 00,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,FF,00,51,F3,88,50,00,00,00,00,00,09,01,03,80,1F,17,00,CA,A8,E0
99,57,4B,92,25,1C,50,54,00,21,09,81,80,A9,40,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01,01
48,3F,40,30,62,B0,32,40,40,C0,13,00,31,E5,10,00,00,18,00,00,00,FC,00,54,4F,53,48
49,42,41,20,49,6E,74,65,0A,00,00,00,FC,00,72,6E,61,6C,20,31,36,30,30,78,31,32,0A
00,00,00,FC,00,30,30,20,50,61,6E,65,6C,20,20,20,20,0A,00,0C

Guest Slartibartfast
Slartibartfast, that's a toughy as I have to rack my brain on the 40 series but thanks for running the program to give us good info :)

HKR,, EDID00010000,                   %REG_BINARY%,    00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 51 F3 88 50 00 00 00 00 00 09 01 03 80 1F 17 00 CA A8 E0 99 57 4B 92 25 1C 50 54 00 21 09 81 80 A9 40 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 48 3F 40 30 62 B0 32 40 40 C0 13 00 31 E5 10 00 00 18 00 00 00 FC 00 54 4F 53 48 49 42 41 20 49 6E 74 65 0A 00 00 00 FC 00 72 6E 61 6C 20 31 36 30 30 78 31 32 0A 00 00 00 FC 00 30 30 20 50 61 6E 65 6C 20 20 20 20 0A 00 0C

EDIT: Whoa, hold on! I thought you were still racking your brain! Is the code above the answer? Just cut and paste into the inf? /EDIT

Yeah, back to the 40's because SQ4 doesn't support higher driver revs. If you're bored, this would be a nice challenge: Develop a version of SQ that works with the latest drivers. You could start small - just find a way to enable the unified back buffer. That is the primary reason that I want a Quadro. It allows my CAD software to have multiple 3D windows open without slowing down dramatically.

Me being offtopic again: a look at the Logfile revealed that WMI Console seems not to be supported by XP Home edition :)

I did, racked my brain then posted with an edit. Sorry that is a bit confusing isn't it as there is no edit details. :)

I did the SoftQuadro once back with my GeForce2 Go. Any details on why no one else has continued the effort? I have no clue on how it works myself. I know a lot more then I used to so I should be able to understand something.

That line should be the equivalent to the newer EDID override.

Guest Slartibartfast

I added your new code, but the driver update actually fails now. Attached is the stock laptopvideo2go inf with your code added, and a jpeg of the error message. Did I update the inf incorrectly?

I think unwinder stopped development of SQ4, maybe because some users were giving him a hard time? This is the "official" SQ4 page: http://www.nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html. Here's a link to the "complete how-to" (with slightly different instructions) that might shed some light on SQ4: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=...10&pagenumber=1. Plenty of threads on that forum regard SQ4.

Any help from the more experienced is appreciated!

nv4_disp___non_toshiba___with_custom_fix_by_Teraphy.inf

post-3-11102176671_thumb.jpg

Oops that line needs commas! Edited my post above.

The RivaTuner guy is clever. He patches the drivers but I'll have to look at it all later on what he exactly does. I read the nvworld.ru article recently and it's fairly complex. I wish there was another way to do it...

I find that 11 page thread convoluted... hmm So, in short my 5200Go could not become a Quadro?

Are you saying 61.76 doesn't work or are you looking for something beyond 61.76?

This PHP page can automatically make INF files with the fix for any version Pieter has uploaded: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

Guest Slartibartfast
Oops that line needs commas!  Edited my post above.

The RivaTuner guy is clever.  He patches the drivers but I'll have to look at it all later on what he exactly does.  I read the nvworld.ru article recently and it's fairly complex.  I wish there was another way to do it...

I find that 11 page thread convoluted... hmm So, in short my 5200Go could not become a Quadro?

I should have noticed that the commas were missing! Anyway, tried the fix, and same results again. Re-reading the start of this thread, the problem seems to be related to bad EDID info. My registry shows multiple entries that probably shouldn't be there - a jpeg is attached. Are the bad entries causing my headaches? If so, can I simply delete those keys?

If it helps, after I reboot and install new drivers, windows also wants to install a new monitor driver. Nothing can be found except "Plug and Play monitor", which I suspect only has resolutions listed up to 1440x900. How do I get windows to use the Toshiba display driver?

BTW, two years ago, I was able to mod my system to have Quadro abilities, without using any modified infs. I recall following the official SQ4 instructions and getting a 1440x900 screen. After several attempts, I gave up and installed the latest drivers. My display info did not mention Quadro, but offered all of its capabilities, and ran very stable for 1.5 years, until I accidentally changed some files :) Here's what I wrote to somebody after succeeding:

"I seem to have sucessfully converted my laptop graphics drivers to enable proper OpenGL, where I have access to the ?Use unified back/depth buffer? option.  I applied the SoftQuadro4 hack, downloading files and instructions from http://nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html.  After reboot, I selected an ?NVIDIA Quadro4 500/550 XGL? adapter, and later ran the latest nvidia driver installation.  Then I switched the ?force on? option to ?Determined by PCI device ID? (in the Riva Tuner application ? on the above mentioned website), rebooted, and I now seem to have full OpenGL capabilities.  Attached is a screenshot of my dialog boxes."

Display screenshots in following posts...

post-3-11105296730_thumb.jpg

Guest free_man
Are you saying 61.76 doesn't work or are you looking for something beyond 61.76?

This PHP page can automatically make INF files with the fix for any version Pieter has uploaded: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer

Sorry about my bad english

I mean 61.76 doesn't work!

I already use blew patch!!

61.76_Black_Bar_Fixes.zip

Number of downloads: 673

File Size: 37.13KB

Last Updated: 26.07.2004, 08:44.

Guest cocoon

Hi all,

1st of all, congratulation for this website. I discovered this site yersterday after some hours searching with google for the black bar problem, and your site is really full of great stuffs for laptop!!! (which makes THE different with other forums).

I read all the messages on this topic, installed, and reinstalled but it doesn't still work on my laptop. I have a Toshiba satellite 2410-414 and a Ge4 420

1) How did I proceed :

- uninstall nvidia drivers

- reboot

- install the driver 66.93 found on this site.

- reboot

The black bar comes.

2) Here we are

- i open the system panel . Ok it appears that the driver installed for video card is 6.6.9.3, which is correct.

Then i update the driver with the "good" inf that I downloaded on http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/enhancer ( the inf for 66.93)

and the problem is...when windows finished to install this inf file, I come back on the system screen ( for the video card) which says that the driver installed is 2.8.4.6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( the old one that i m trying to be get rid of). And it is. For example, if I open nvidia display manager, i get the very old one.

This driver update is driven me crazyy..so please help me to get rid of this black bar.

My video bios is the "wrong on" quote in the 1st message on this board : 4.17.00.41.C7

Thanks a lot for your help.