LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Pieter's starstorm 56.72's

Guest fg42

great job!!!! noticeable improvements in fps/picture quality in battlefield vietnam and far cry! i'm impressed at how quickly the new files were up, too. much thanks...

Why should Desktop users get all the fun.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

Guest citrixcl

I am installing a homebrewed INf using pieter's startstorm inf and driver with Larry's INF as a base for the hardware recognition and sideband addressing stuff... I hope I did it right. You can see it here i think. ONLY FOR 5150.

nv4_disp.inf

Nice job, Citrixcl! A few comments:

This line in the [nv4] section:

RegisterDLLs = nv.RegisterCPL

...means you can do away with these lines in the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section:

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,NvRegisterDMCPL,,"RUNDLL32.EXE %11%\NVWDMCPL.DLL,DllRegisterServer"

...and...

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce,NvRegisterNVCpl,,"RUNDLL32.EXE %11%\NVCPL.DLL,DllRegisterServer"

Also, you have the [nv_ControlPanelSettings] section header listed twice.

I don't know if any of those lead to problems or not. I've updated my INF in the Utilities section if you want to see what my current version looks like.

misia, if you're referring to the starstorm drivers, then YES! you have the exact same computer/ video card that i do. i got the best results from the xq drivers, but the x are petty close...

Guest Sparky

Hey can anyone help me please =)

I have used the 53.03 starstorm drivers and they r great =)

However when I try to use the 56.72 ot any other drivers inbween 56.72 and 53.03 I get a black flash on screen whilst playing games for a brief second whilst playing any game.

Once the black screen appears the fps seems to drop about 50% and the the black screen appears again, and the FPS returns to normal. This seems to happen when my Dell I8600's Fan seems to kick in to high speed.

My I8600 is not overheating cus I clean out the fan assembly every month and I use a notebook cooler, also the GPU never exceeds 91C also. BTW im using a Geforce FX 5650

Please not the 53.03 drivers do not do this at all nor does and driver relese before 53.03 do it either.

I would really apprciate any thoughs any of you have on the matter cus I would really like to upgrade me drivers.

Btw I don't overclock my GPU also, and my power management is set to always on as well.

Sorry about the bad spelling.

Thank in advance

Edited by dontknow

91deg thats hot in my books.

I think most GPUs run at about 70degs, there is something not right here I think.

The GPU will slow down (thermal switch) at a certain temp, so I'm assuming when the game FPS drops by 50% is when the GPU is going into a lower powerstate (ie slowing down).

It will also turn the fans on to try and cool it's self.

The 55 seriers drivers (56.xx+) might be less themally tollerent.

Get a Utility called FanGUI it allows fan control for Dell Laptops.

Try setting the temp for the fans to come on at a lower temp.

Do a search for the program, and get back to us on how you got on.

Pieter.

Hey can anyone help me please =)

I have used the 53.03 starstorm drivers and they r great =)

However when I try to use the 56.72 ot any other drivers inbween 56.72 and 53.03 I get a black flash on screen whilst playing games for a brief second whilst playing any game.

Once the black screen appears the fps seems to drop about 50% and the the black screen appears again, and the FPS returns to normal. This seems to happen when my Dell I8600's Fan seems to kick in to high speed.

My I8600 is not overheating cus I clean out the fan assembly every month and I use a notebook cooler, also the GPU never exceeds 91C also. BTW im using a Geforce FX 5650

Please not the 53.03 drivers do not do this at all nor does and driver relese before 53.03 do it either.

I would really apprciate any thoughs any of you have on the matter cus I would really like to upgrade me drivers.

Thank in advance

I've experienced the slowdowns you are describing before but only when I was experimenting with overclocking the card. And it only happened when the temp reached or exceeded 100C. As Pieter said, it could be becuse of different heat tolerances in the driver versions. I don't remember what version I was using.

And you can I8kfanGUI heat monitor utility here.

Guest hunterv69

HI I just installed the 56.72xq driver for my Geforce4 4200 Go. I'm new at this whole Nvidia mod driver but wanted to try it out. After playing Call of Duty for like 30 minutes, I closed it and checked the fangui program found here. I noticed that my cpu was at around 60 C and my GPU was at 71 C. Is it suppose to be that high or am I using the wrong drivers.

Josh

P.S.

Don't know if it matters but my laptop is a I8600 1.6 Centrino.

That doesn't look too bad, set Fangiu to max cooling when playing games, as the CPU and GPU are screaming their heads off.

If either Temp gets 10deg higher I'd start to worry.

You can normally tell (if on lap) as the laptop will get hot on the bottom.

Pieter.

Guest hunterv69

really 60 C for CPU and 71 C for GPU isn''t too bad?? And for the bottom of the laptop, it's hot when i play games. What temp exactly should I start to worry?

Guest hunterv69

wow ok.. i didn't know laptops get that hot!

Thanx for all the help

Oh one more thing... I have icons on the right of my screen but after I get out of a game or after my screen turns back on.. the icons move to the center. Is there a reason it does this?

Josh

Merge this reg and report back if it works.

Are you by chance have been using any tweaking app?

desktop.reg

tweakxp... why is that what's causing it

i would say yes. You have to search the setting in tweakxp by yourself to revert the Desktop icons placement.

speedfan. almico.com