LaptopVideo2Go Forums

entering BIOS setup in toshiba laptop?

Guest fg42

i have a 5205-s505, and for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to get into BIOS. the delete key doesn't work and the f- keys are a no go. i read somewhere that you need to press esc- that brought me to a screen that said "change default values y/n" (or something similar to that). whether i press y or n, the result is the same- it boots windows normally, no BIOS. what am i missing here? this is making me feel very stupid!

btw, i want to access BIOS to check my AGP aperture, possibly change its value...

My first 2 laptops were Toshibas, ages ago now.

But to get to the BIOS settings, you had to run a wee program call 'TSETUP'.

I have no idea wether it still needs this.

Have a look at the Toshiba Website under BIOS upgrades, it might mention it there.

Unless ®®® is reading this and can tell us or somebody else ?

Pieter

5205-s505
There is no "BIOS" to access in the way like on desktops or other notebooks.

The only way to check/change settings is to install/start the "Toshiba Console" and then "Toshiba Hardware Settings". There, you will not find the AGP Aperture size, but more common settings. Use aida32 or WCPUID (new version available) to check this.

Btw the right key to press is "~`" left to SPACE.

____

edit:

some information from Toshiba:

Support Bulletins

How to access the BIOS Settings on your legacy-free Toshiba Portable PC

Document ID:  98080112

Posted Date:  11/29/02

Last Updated:  11/29/02

Operating System:  BIOS, Windows 2000, Windows XP

Category  BIOS

Distribution  Public

Applicable Models:  Satellite 5205-S119, 5205-S705, 5205-S5151, 5205-S506, 5205-S505, 5205-S704, 5205-S504, 5205-S703, 5205-S503, 5105-S901, 5105-S702, 5105-S502, 5105-S701, 5105-S501, 5105-S608, 5105-S607, 5005-S508, 5005-S507, 5005-S504

Issue solution survey

This document provides information about how to access the BIOS settings on applicable models.

Procedure

These models are considered 'legacy-free', and offer only a Windows-based BIOS setting utility.

From the Windows Control Panel, launch the Toshiba HWSetup program. HWSetup provides a user-friendly graphical frontend for modifying BIOS settings. Please note that if you change some settings, you may be required to restart your computer. HWSetup comes preinstalled on your Toshiba portable PC, or it can be downloaded as part of the Toshiba Utilities package for your model.

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured since the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods will be effective:

Toshiba Hardware utility method: Run the Toshiba Hardware utility from the Toshiba Console. It is also accessible (as 'HWSetup') from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the CMOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (along with re-starting Windows). This method is the only way to access the CMOS settings on some of the newer notebook PCs (Satellite 5000 series, for example). (For these machines, pressing and holding the F12 key immediately after powering-on the notebook will allow you to alter the notebook's boot priority.)

If the notebook is fully off, and/or to avoid having to re-start it (and Windows), use one or the other of the following two methods. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode). If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook (either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator), disconnect it until you have completed this procedure.

F2 key method: Turn the notebook on. If you see an invitation to press the F2 key to enter Setup, do so. The Setup screen will appear.

Esc key method: Turn the notebook on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

For Toshiba notebook PCs manufactured before the introduction of Windows XP, one or more of the following methods are appropriate:

HWSetup method: Run the HWSetup utility from the Windows Control Panel. This utility provides a relatively user-friendly way to change the CMOS settings. Changes to some of the settings will require re-starting the PC (and Windows). HWSetup was pre-installed on all but early Toshiba notebook models. If it doesn't appear as a Control Panel applet on your notebook, you may be able to download it from the Toshiba Support website as part of the Toshiba Utilities package for your model.

Esc key method: If an external keyboard is attached to the notebook, either directly or via a docking station or a port-replicator, disconnect it. Turn the notebook on. Immediately press and hold the Esc key. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear. The PC will have to be truly off (not suspended, or in standby mode, or in hibernation mode) for this method to work.

TSETUP method: Run the TSETUP utility, under MS-DOS. TSETUP runs correctly only when executed from a 'native' MS-DOS prompt, and with the processor running in real mode -- so not from a Windows 'DOS box', and without any memory manager software running (EMM386.EXE, HIMEM.SYS, or QEMM386.EXE, for example). TSetup was pre-installed on most early Toshiba notebook models (except for the very earliest models). It is available from the Toshiba Support website.

so, from what i'm reading here, it seems there is no way to change my AGP aperture? is that right? it's something i'd like to experiment with.

just out of curiosity, why does toshiba make it soooooo difficult to access BIOS (the real one, not that useles HWSetup)? i've never had a bad thing to say about toshiba notebooks (unlike hp's), but this is a real issue for me...

cuz you're LEGACYFREE.

How to access the BIOS Settings on your legacy-free Toshiba Portable PC

no ps2, no lpt, no serial, no isa, no (old-fashioned) bios = LEGACYFREE system

well, i wouldn't have said this up until now, but my next laptop will definitely NOT be a toshiba!

Why that? :) You can't access an old fashioned style BIOS (cuz YOU choose the legacy free 5205-505 when buying) and this will affect your next Laptop-buying-decision???

Your Aperture size is already set to maximum by default (depends on how much RAM you have, but i bet you have 512MB and therefore the Aperture size is set by feault half the size of RAM which would result in 256 MB).

The downside of not having an oldfashioned style BIOS is you can't tweak as much as on Desktop systems (or even set register by yourself with WPCR EDIT), but that's the prize of having an all in one device which is portable.

i became intimately familiar with the BIOS on my previous laptop (an HP, whose products i recommend to no one), and not having it feels like there's something missing. i don't know, maybe it's just me, but i'd rather know it's there and never have to use it than experience these current frustrations.

i was thinking of getting an alienware, anyway...

like i said, only the legacyfree toshibas (and maybe other Brands, too) do not provide the oldstyle bios. All other ones have can access it by pressing certain keys like ESC, F1, F2, DEL or whatever. If people need it , we could do a FAQ on how to access BIOS on different Laptop brands (DELL, TS, HP) or sticky topic

®®®,

It seems any brand name machine will always not be as customizable as far as settings are concerned in the BIOS regardless of brand compared to something you build yourself. legacyfree is probably even worst.

• 1 year later...

I think this LEgacy-Free could be great, if HWsetup was decent. It is NOT. It was not good enough for I call it a s***! I desperately need to access IDE settings, cause I have a DVD-RW that was not recognized, and this became impossible cause this HWsetup legacyfree damned notebook does not have a wayy to do it!!!! There is any unnoficial HWsetup that was a really config thing??????

marcio@udesc.br

I read somewhere that you have to do something with pins of your slim drive in order to make laptop recognise it. You should search around more if that's the case.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

can some one help me every time my toshiba laptop loads the windows xp cd it turns off at the part were i can choose to install, create a partition or delete the partition, how can i go about it please, anyone out there with an answer.

• 2 months later...
Guest bahram_mercedes
To Boot from CD/DVD on toshiba satellite 5005-S507:

1.power on

2. press F12

3. with the right arrow key choose cd

4.enter

very very thanks. i had a big problem with this laptop. i am from iran. really thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
i have a 5205-s505, and for the life of me, i cannot figure out how to get into BIOS. the delete key doesn't work and the f- keys are a no go. i read somewhere that you need to press esc- that brought me to a screen that said "change default values y/n" (or something similar to that). whether i press y or n, the result is the same- it boots windows normally, no BIOS. what am i missing here? this is making me feel very stupid!

btw, i want to access BIOS to check my AGP aperture, possibly change its value...

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...