LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows update forces driver install

Guest hannibal

Guest hannibal

Hi all,

I have Windows Update (WU) scheduled to download critical patches automagically and prompt for me to install them.

The Nvidia driver from Dell was downloaded to my laptop despite me running a later version driver than the WU supplied driver.

I installed and then removed the WU driver but I am still prompted to install the WU driver.

How do I stop Windows Update messing with my Nvidia driver ?

Cheers :)

I've always had the same problem. There is a checkbox in Windows Update that lets you ignore and hide downloads you don't want. I think it's on the "Driver Updates" page, not the "Download" page.

Same thing happened to me. I didn't even pay attention since normally they don't force the driver update and next thing I know I'm running 67.42 after a reboot.

Larry is right, I believe there is a checkbox there somewhere as well :)

I have WU on and it asks before DLing then asks again before installing.

But it never asks to install the Gateway 16.20 driver that it mentions when I go to do manual update ?

It only asks for critical updates, I have never set/unset any boxes from the install of XP wSP2

I'm running a proper version of XPpro not OEM, or a restored CD version, could this be the reason ?

No, it might just be that you don't get any prompts, I have rarely gottem them before, (has something to do with driver version and WHQL status) if you select the box that update will "dissapear" from showing up.

I have mine set to notifiy me before downloading/installing anything.

You guys should set it to something like that, and actually check to see what windows update wants you to install.

I never have trusted it....