LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Notebook Hardware Control (NHC)

Notebook Hardware Control

(formely known as Centrino Hardware Control)

With Notebook Hardware Control you can easily control the hardware components of your Intel Mobile Notebook. Notebook Hardware Control helps you to:

- control the hardware and system power management

- prolong the battery lifetime

- cool down the system and reduce power consumption

- monitor the hardware to avoid system failure

- make your Notebook quiet

status.gif

Note: you must have Microsoft's .NET Version 2.0 Framework installed.

Click here to go to download site (1.6mb).

Edited by sn0wl

Nifty.... now if only I had a Pentium M

:) While I don't have centrino, I could probably use a lot of those features...

Will try that soon.

Edit: Very nice software, too bad I can't control my fans, and that half of the options I can't use on my laptop anyway......

Guest fslarsen

Great software for undervolting cpu, setting acoustic management and cpu scaling (replaces Speedswitch XP). Great piece of software! :)

Now if it only could control fans like I9kFanGui does! :)

- Fredrik. :P

Guest Manux

It cannot read CPU & case temp on my Acer TM4651LMi (P-M 730, 1.6Ghz, FSB533), shows only HD temp. Does it mean there is something wrong with mainboard/processor?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Updated:

What's new:

- add new faster and better nhc driver

- add new faster and accurater clock detection function (+- 0.2%)

- improved stability and fixed the blue screen problem on some core duo and P4 notebooks

- nhc is now faster and needs less cpu time

• 3 months later...

Version 2.0 Pre-Release has just been released, with an open souce ACPI control system! Looks very cool, anyone with more experience with c# programming should whip up a Toshiba M30 class file :)

Edit: Been trying to figure this out, but with this toshiba, the product name is 'Portable PC' if I use that as the class name i get an error. When I use 'PORTABLE' the toshib.dll gets generated, but I still have no option to see the controls (I added in the brightness example section, but still nothing). Anyone else want to help me get even a basic toshiba class file made?

Edited by sicsiksix

Just to cover the new pre release:

NHC 2.0 - Pre-Release (31.07.2006) - add ACPI Control System (powerfull and open source) -> see main features for more details

- updated the ACPI Thermal Zone

- removed the Intel Core Duo CPU Speed bug

- add CPU Speed Control for Windows 2000 and Windows Vista (preliminary)

- add Custom Dynamic Switching Speed Up and Slow Down delay

- add large Battery Icon for the TaskBar

- add alternative function to detect the "System Power Status". This is a workaround on system

- that have problems with the keyboard or touchpad when using NHC.

- add possibility to change the ATI Powerplay settings

- add nVidia Powermizer support

- add LCD Brighntess support (in combination with ACPI Control System)

- updated the system tray menu for the professional version and add new profile icons

- add possibility to change the profile after a defined user idle time.

- add XML settings file (settings.xml)

- updated the nhcDriver

- removed the nhcACPI driver (not longer necessary)

- removed the nhcsafe.exe file (not longer necessary)

- updated the nhc webpage and nhc help file

- removed bugs and problems

- To-Do: prepare the release 2.0, AMD Voltage Control support,

- change CPU temperature warning to CPU temperature clockdown

It can become the app to use when you chose a driver that lack the PowerMizer automatic switching. When you need the full 3D power you force it to full speed... and battery saving mode otherwise.

sicsiksix, as an idea try using the DMI name TOSHIBA (most Toshiba laptops have this). If you run NERD and have a look in the log you might find different names as used by WMI & DMI

Guest sicsiksix
sicsiksix, as an idea try using the DMI name TOSHIBA (most Toshiba laptops have this). If you run NERD and have a look in the log you might find different names as used by WMI & DMI

I believe that NHC loads the ACPI class file based on what it detects as the 'Product'. Since this laptop is detected as a 'Portable PC' that is what should be used. The problem is that spaces are currently unsupported. I managed to get ahold of the author and he is going to incorporate underscores as spaces, which should hopefully atleast allow me to load a basic profile then figure out how to actually code some options...I could be completely wrong on all of this, I guess time will tell :) I just hope I can rid this system of atleast a couple more applications (like fan.exe and as many toshiba apps as possible).

One important note to the build in powermize function:

Deactivate it in NHC when your current driverversion does support it in the control panel! My version does, and this interferes with the function.

It dosn't matter which NHC profile I use (dynamic switching, max. power etc.), it always says it's using "Maximum Power" for Powermize, but in fact, the NVidia Controlpanel states that the chip is running in max. powersaving mode. Changes in the panel are ignored as long as NHC controls that function.

I also experienced the powermizer problem on my HP DV5121TX Go 7400 turbo worst I find when using ie7 NHC will suddenly start using 50% cpu on the intel duo and cannot be exited except via task manager. :)

It's still a prerelease, you should inform developer about these kind of problems so they can be fixed.

It's still a prerelease, you should inform developer about these kind of problems so they can be fixed.

I did just that, the next release will allow me to replace spaces with underscores and still have my hardware be detected properly. Next comes actually getting the functions to work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shadow
I believe that NHC loads the ACPI class file based on what it detects as the 'Product'. Since this laptop is detected as a 'Portable PC' that is what should be used. The problem is that spaces are currently unsupported. I managed to get ahold of the author and he is going to incorporate underscores as spaces, which should hopefully atleast allow me to load a basic profile then figure out how to actually code some options...I could be completely wrong on all of this, I guess time will tell :) I just hope I can rid this system of atleast a couple more applications (like fan.exe and as many toshiba apps as possible).

I can't get my ACPI to work, can Any one help me with that.

what should I do after generating the .cs file. when I copy it to the ACPI folder nhc tell me that ACPI is not configured!

my notebook is ASUS M6V. and here is my files:

M6Vfiles.rar

• 5 months later...
can anyone share pro key?

thanks!

Excuse me?!? :)

Wrong place here for not supporting the Laptop Enthusiast Community my friend. :)

• 3 months later...

Did anyone manage to create a CS file for a Toshiba laptop?

I'm struggling coding one for my Qosmio E10.

I'd give an eye for a working CS file for my system in order to control the fan speed / thermal zone sensibility.

With the current BIOS, the fan starts at 53 °C when CPU is at minimum (600mhz) and it's driving me quite insane.

Thanks for any help.

Alcahest

• 10 months later...
Guest Guest

Ok i have this problem when starting NHC up for the 1st time.

ERROR! ->Could not load the NHC driver.

Does anyone know what it means or what driver it refers to?

I'm running it on a Athec with :

Intel Core 2 dou t7500, 4 gig ram

Nvidia 8600 GT

and win XP pro 64 bit.

Now i'm thinking that Xp might be the problem, since it's a 64 bit version, and i ran into more programs

that won't work correctly under XP 6v bit due to the programs install folder.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest CanCauseCancer

For the error, go to services (start, run, type services.msc and click ok) and find the .NET Optimization Service v2... and restart it. To restart you can right click it and choose Restart, or right click it and choose Stop, then wait for it to stop then right clicking it again and choosing Start. If you can't open NHC after that then uninstall the .Net Framework 2.0 then uninstall NHC, reboot and reinstall them, .Net Framework 2.0 first followed by NHC.